Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 BC Family Fishing Weekend  (Read 7153 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2007 BC Family Fishing Weekend
« on: May 25, 2007, 05:51:33 PM »

We are now three weeks away from the annual BC Family Fishing Weekend on June 15th to 17th. During these three days, people who do not have a freshwater sportfishing license can try out fishing for free by printing and filling out this license form.

Note: Conservation surcharge stamps still apply during this weekend so you need to purchase the appropriate stamps if you intend to keep certain species of fish (ie. salmon and steelhead). This weekend only applies to freshwater, you still need to purchase a license for tidal waters (tidal license is free for anglers under the age of 16).

During this weekend, there will be many events taking place across the province. These events don't only provide fishing opportunities, but offer many educational activities for the entire family to participate in. Each BC Family Fishing Weekend sanctioned event will have fishing rods available for kids who do not have one to use. You can find a list of events on this page.

In the Lower Mainland area, there are several events that I highly recommend.

• The Fraser Valley Salmon Society, working with Fisheries and Oceans Canada, will be hostings its annual northern pikeminnow derby at Cultus Lake (main beach) in Chilliwack on June 16th, 6:00am - 2:00pm. For more information, please contact Greg Clark at stubbs@telus.net or 604-824-7722. You can also ask Chris or Buckeye on the forum about the event.

• The Seymour Salmonid Society will be putting on its Rice Lake Family Fishing Day at Rice Lake (Seymour Conservative Reserve) in North Vancouver on June 17th. Activities include rainbow trout fishing on the pier, various educational activities around the pier, BBQ, draw prizes. Please contact James Weger at 604-640-9690 for more information, he's also looking for more volunteers.

• Whistler Angling Club will be hosting its family fishing day at Alta Lake in Whistler on June 17th, 8:00am - 12:00pm. Please contact Paul Beswetherick for more information at pbeswetherick@whistler.ca or 604-932-0186.

If you are interested in putting on a FFW event in your community, please contact Owen Bird at birdo@shaw.ca.

Please support these events as they generate angling participation, angling opportunities, conservation and a better future in the angling community.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2007 BC Family Fishing Weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »

Yes the Annual Cultus Lake Pike Minnow Derby is not that far away, June 16th. Greg has lined up some great prizes and I am told Frank and Ev will be cooking a breakfast before the derby.

More info to follow in the days ahead.

weizen

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 08:07:27 PM »

Could a moderator please move this post to the Upcomming Events section where it belongs.   ::) ::)

Sorry Rod, Couldn't resist ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:30:42 PM »

Damn, no lovin' at all. :P :o

The upcoming events section in the green cafe is for conservation events, these events are opposite to those. ;D

Some photos from last year's events:

Cultus Lake Pikeminnow Derby

Courtenay's Family Fishing Day (Old Black Dog can answer questions about this event)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 04:07:05 PM »

Back to the top, we are now less than two weeks until the event.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 01:24:20 PM »

fishyfish

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 11:44:21 PM »

So the Cultus lake pike minnow derby is on the  Saturday 16 of June. Is that correct? Thankyou.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 12:15:32 AM »

So the Cults lake pike minnow derby is on the  Saturday 16 of June. Is that correct? Thankyou.
Yes tickets can be purchased at Fred's or Chilliwack Dart and Tackle now or at the event on derby day. Great array of prizes actually oodles of them including two bikes for the kids that will be awarded for hidden weights. This will give them all a chance for every fish that is brought in. We fished for a short while on Saturday and they were there in good numbers. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 12:47:38 PM »

The Seymour Salmonid Society is looking for volunteers to help at their Rice Lake Family Fishing Day on Sunday June 17th from 9:00am to 3:00pm.

Family Fishing Day is community event sponsored by the Seymour Salmonid Society, GVRD and the Family Fishing Day Society of BC. It has become quite a popular event. You and your families are invited to attend, but we need a lot of volunteer support to make this event successful.

They need volunteers to help with:

• Salmon BBQ (Servers, food prep, ect..)
  • Event set-up and take down (Tents, table and chairs, signage, ect.)
  • Fishing Tackle table (Help beginner fishers with fishing tackle set-up)
  • Volunteer and event participant care taker (Bringing food and refreshements to volunteers and event participants through out the day)

Lunch is provided for volunteers. We will meet a 9AM at Rice Lake Security Gate.

If you are interested in helping out, please contact James Weger at seymoursalmonidvolunteer@hotmail.com

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 03:48:30 PM »

The Abbotsford Family Fishing Weekend event on Saturday June 16th will take place at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery this year instead of at Mill Lake. Mill Lake will still however receive a stocking of rainbow trout before the weekend.

The event at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery will take place between 8:00am and 1:00pm. There will be fishing available for kids at the ponds, mini Learn to Fish sessions, arts and crafts, face painting, bug ID and other hatchery activities.

For more information:

Ken Scheer or Natalie West
Tel: (604) 504-4716
Fax: (604) 504-4718
34345 Vye Road, Abbotsford, BC
Map to the hatchery

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 11:35:37 AM »

Bringing this back to the top. I believe Cammer is still looking for volunteers at Lafarge Lake on Saturday.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 09:00:56 AM »

Wow what a great array of prizes Greg from the Fraser Valley Salmon Society has for the Pike Minnow Derby set for Cultus Lake tomorrow.

He also has two great bikes as hidden weight prizes for the kids as well, a must event to take in.

Ev and Frank will be cooking up a great breakfast and more food during the day.

I will be working at the event but may take the Leaf Craft #2 along as I have finally mastered how to catch these guys, I think. ;D ;D

I will ask Rodney to post some pictures of my recent success. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 09:16:06 AM »

Also Dean Werk from Great Rivers Fishing Adventures is providing boats to take kids out on the water. ;D ;D Thanks, Dean.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 09:23:27 AM »

Also consider taking out a Fraser Valley Membership at tomorrows event, to support the organization that does so much by putting on events like this and preserve our fishing opportunities. Without them and our president Frank Kwak who attend oodles of meetings on your behalf we would not have these opportunities.

To continue with our fishing we must have the numbers of others backing our efforts. One way is to join the FVSS.

Contact me or Buckeye how you can obtain a membership, it is very important to build our membership as it has slipped a bit lately as many take our fishing for granted.