Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gun Talk  (Read 26394 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Gun Talk
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:21:51 PM »

What company do u think produces the best guns, I my self am a weatherby believer. What caliber does the best job on what game?
Fish killer 101

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
Re: Gun Talk
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 09:40:56 PM »

Weatherby got some nice gun.. but they are on the heavy side....   For Rifle, I myself like Sako and Tikka. I currently shooting a Tikka T-3 lite stainless 300 win mag. Going to get a new Sako Fin-lite stainless 270wsm for deer this year.  For bird hunting, nothing beat the Benalli Super black eagal II. 

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:42:35 PM »

Browning 7mm winchester  mag is a good versatile gun with good muzzle velocity and very flat shooting,this gun can be loaded for anything from deer to moose.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 11:00:06 PM »

i like the 30-06 with 165 gr Hornadys...killed many animals with that combo. moose..deer..bears..grouse heads ;D

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 07:23:57 AM »

^^^Like Danny said....

The 30-06 is IMO the best all round caliber for any game we have here in BC....I have shot this caliber for close to 35 years and have never doubted what it can do....

As far as rifle manufacturers....all big names are good...comes down to what you like....I have Huskies, Tikkas before they became big (20 years ago), Remington, Winchester and just picked up a Vanguard for my son....

Mike

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 01:25:39 PM »

Any good left hand rifles out there? I heard they are more expensive

And I was looking for a .222 rem or .243 win to start of with.  Any ideas on where I can land a nice one?

thx!
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

leaseman

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 01:13:54 PM »

If you are serious, go into Reliable or Italian and check out what they have....if you find something that you like (make, model etc) but want used, become a member on canadian gun nutz and watch the thousands of guns that go through there.......

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 10:57:27 PM »

thanks.
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 02:59:28 AM »

I love my 7mm weatherby, flattest gun out there! I hand load 165 and 180 barnes x. Grandpa's old browning 7mm still shoots awsome, put 3 shots at 150 into a space the size of a quarter. Pop's 300weatherby is nice, i can shoot it just fine, got first 2 deer with it, but it doesn't shoot flat after 300 yards. 7mm weatherby at the target range i was hitting 500 yard shots inside of 3 inches, 2 foot drop. At 200 yards 3 shots in an 1.5" inch area.(I shot 2 boxes of shells at all different ranges) I know i dont need to shoot that far, but cross canyon at a sheep or goat that no one else will shoot cause is to far will be just fine for me. But it takes practice to be able to acuratlly shoot that far consistently!

Neighbor has a tikka and sako in 300 win for his son and himself. Both guns have taken every animal in B.C. (I like the tikka better, looks nicer, and i shoot better with it) But he introduced me to the 7mm weatherby(i was goin to buy a 300) and i realized that shots he wouldn't take would be in my range.

Italian is really expensive, go to alberta or wait for the canadian outdoors wholesales to move into kamloops.
Fish killer 101

leaseman

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 08:29:31 AM »

Younggun.....3 inch groups at 500 yards????

You must be shooting every day for years to get that accurate...you also must win quite a few competitions with that accuracy....24 inch drop at 500 yards....how high you hitting at 100 yards....???

How long did it take you to work up your load....????

Me smell a slight brag here..... :) ;) :D ::)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 03:17:46 PM »

Sand bags! Hitting 3.5 high at 100. Look at the 7mm tragectory on weatherby.com. Like i said 2 boxes(40 rounds) shot like 15 at 500yd, 10 at 300yd and the rest inbetween 50 and 200yd's. My god father used to shoot competition so he has all the equipment, he reloaded the rounds for me till i found a couple that worked well in the gun. Best so far is the accubond and the barnes x, partitions come third.

And yes i was BS ing a little, i was hitting 3 rounds(accubond) from a cold barrel at 500 yards inside a 6 in radius. But i'm also only 15 and have the rest of my life to get better. The barnes x aren't to accurate after 300yards, same with the partitions.(in my gun that is)
Fish killer 101

4StarGeneral

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 03:45:48 PM »

The other question YoungGun as to what Range where you at?  Most ranges are 300yards max ::)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 12:12:04 AM »

i was up at lytton, does any one know that range, it makes it all the way out to 800 yards. Damn long walk though and it was scarry driving in that snow up those roads.
Fish killer 101

4StarGeneral

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 04:45:46 PM »

One of the only ranges I know that distance is the 1000yard one up in Will's pond or in PQ.

Young Gun,

There are some of us out here that have been around guns longer then you have been alive so it is hard to pull the wool over some peoples eyes ::)

If you are good as you say you are I can hook you up in the Army, as they are needing Snipers to send over seas.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 10:59:58 PM »

I dont need to get picked off with a RPG thankyou. The one in lytton has targets to 800 but the clearing goes on to like 1500. if anyone has been there before.
Fish killer 101