Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gun Talk  (Read 26388 times)

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
Re: Gun Talk
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 09:48:29 AM »

Cant,
 1) i'm grounded till late june, so i dont get to hunt black bear this year
 2) Getting a new stock for the 7mm. I noticed a little crack in the pistol grip yesterday while i was cleaning it, i think it might have broke back in september when I threw my pack down so dad could get a rest on a ram! But before he shot i glassed it over and sure enough he was short by about 1/2 inch broomed it off lately, looked pretty fresh

Mabey thats why i'm not shooting perfect groups?

Hey pop's 300 wthby doesn't shoot good past 300 yards, to much bullet drop. Thats why i got the 7mm!

In my opinion, 300 is a flat shooting rifle, like .270, very fast and flat at long range's ...Depends on what bullets you using, that will affect the drop of the round at 300 yards, but you should be very comfortable with a .300 at 450 yards.

What points and what weight are you using?
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 12:40:41 AM »

Barnes x 180 for both guns. And 165 barnes x for my 7mm. They made the best groups in both guns. Dad doesn't like shooting 165 out of the 300. thats why i have my gun, if its a long shot, i just hand the 7mm over.
Fish killer 101

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 09:48:12 AM »

Barnes x 180 for both guns. And 165 barnes x for my 7mm. They made the best groups in both guns. Dad doesn't like shooting 165 out of the 300. thats why i have my gun, if its a long shot, i just hand the 7mm over.

You mentioned you reload, have you cronied your load yet, if not, what powder are you using and how much, should be able to work it out with this info..

You are pushing light bullets, so the .300 should be fine after 300 yards.. is there damage to the barrel like pitting ?
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 11:25:11 PM »

I did say i have reload bullets, but i myself dont reload, i get my god father to reload for me.  He shoots alot, so he just does our bullets aswell. I'd have to ask him to find out! I dont know what it is, mabey its the gun it just doesnt perform great after 300, before you can put every animal in Norht America down with that gun. And anyways, how many times have u shot over 300 yards at an animal. I've only done it twice(whitetail buck, black bear), and my father a hand full at max. If u know how to stalk u should be able to get within that range. I just chose the 7mm cus it will still kill anything, but it doesn't have the thundering kick. It is just as powerfull as a 300 win. And also just to be reasured that if the case comes when i need a cross canyon or a open slope or feild shot, i will be able to perform. I highly dicurrege shots at ranges like that. I would never take a rushed or not rested shot at that range.

2 rules to remember, be smart and be safe and bullet placement is key!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 11:31:52 PM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 11:27:03 PM »

Im getting my first shotgun ever! 12 Ga browning bps hunter

Im excited! ;D
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind