Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gun Talk  (Read 26398 times)

Derp

• Tight lines!
Re: Gun Talk
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 01:03:06 AM »

hahahahahahh that was funny.

snipers

i bet thatd be a sweet job for your age younggun or should i say youngsniper...
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 06:56:14 PM »

I have gun crazy buddies. A couple are collecters, but there is one with the nicest gun made. 

Its a Remington 7mm with synthetic stock, fluted titanium barrell and built in muzzel brake. Grooved trigger gaurd and drilled bolt. He has a swarovski scope, (not sure the caliber) mounted on europian style mounts. If u dont know what that is, he can take off and pop back on his scope in about 10 seconds and it won't affect his shooting accuracy. I adore his gun. And he gets all this at an extreme low cost because he's in the swiss army.
Fish killer 101

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 09:14:08 PM »

that sounds pretty sweet.

Im just getting my core and the pal right now so im gonna go gun shopping in the near future. Im gonna start off with a 12 ga shotgun and a .222 or .223 or .22LR something beginnerish
When the weather's fine

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 10:32:31 PM »

younggun, the type of scope mount is very popular for african safari hunt from what i read and told...  They snap the scope off when an animal charging so they can shoot with open sight.   

Derp, after your pal, get yourself a 243 instead of 222 or 223..  The 243 is a great gun for deer hunting, very flat shooting to about 200 yard (depends on the load), and almost no recoil...   

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 11:22:03 AM »

thx for the advice!
When the weather's fine

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 11:43:09 AM »

What company do u think produces the best guns, I my self am a weatherby believer. What caliber does the best job on what game?

Krieghoff for me. Not that I can $$$ own one. ;D

http://www.krieghoff.com/
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 09:07:20 PM »

I did have a chance to shoot a round of skeet with my friend's krieghoff.. what a gun it is... But i still like my browning cyenergy composite more... I guess his might be an older gun, the trigger is not a fast and crisp as mine... Other then that, the stock, barrel and all the engraving is top notch.....

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 12:17:54 AM »

Binnelli shot guns are top notch, love dads, i got to use my burretta!  >:( Still a really nice gun!
Fish killer 101

Mabelingwane

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 02:17:48 PM »

younggun, the type of scope mount is very popular for african safari hunt from what i read and told...  They snap the scope off when an animal charging so they can shoot with open sight.   

Derp, after your pal, get yourself a 243 instead of 222 or 223..  The 243 is a great gun for deer hunting, very flat shooting to about 200 yard (depends on the load), and almost no recoil...   

100% correct on the African Scope mounts, snap off for that exact reason, open sights are better on a charging animal.
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

Mabelingwane

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 02:24:18 PM »

Sand bags! Hitting 3.5 high at 100. Look at the 7mm tragectory on weatherby.com. Like i said 2 boxes(40 rounds) shot like 15 at 500yd, 10 at 300yd and the rest inbetween 50 and 200yd's. My god father used to shoot competition so he has all the equipment, he reloaded the rounds for me till i found a couple that worked well in the gun. Best so far is the accubond and the barnes x, partitions come third.

And yes i was BS ing a little, i was hitting 3 rounds(accubond) from a cold barrel at 500 yards inside a 6 in radius. But i'm also only 15 and have the rest of my life to get better. The barnes x aren't to accurate after 300yards, same with the partitions.(in my gun that is)

Sounds like I hear a day at the range needs to be arranged... Who would be in?

Mabelingwane

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 02:25:24 PM »

I did have a chance to shoot a round of skeet with my friend's krieghoff.. what a gun it is... But i still like my browning cyenergy composite more... I guess his might be an older gun, the trigger is not a fast and crisp as mine... Other then that, the stock, barrel and all the engraving is top notch.....

My cousin has a 500NE krieghoff back home, and the finish is amazing.. real attention to detail..

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 04:46:47 PM »

Passed my CORE yesterday with a really high mark ;D and my Pal is comming up on monday

I went to the poco range on thursday with someone and he let me shoot his guns and showed me around (since I've never shot real guns before)

Tried out his Marlin XLR 45-70 which is a pretty sweet lever action rifle, and also shot his 300 Win all at 100 metres. He said i did really well with the 300 win (3 shots at 100m with less that 1" grouping). I also shot this sweet .22 which was fun.

Great day! :)
When the weather's fine

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 05:37:50 PM »

... Pop's 300weatherby is nice, i can shoot it just fine, got first 2 deer with it, but it doesn't shoot flat after 300 yards. ...

Huh? Let me get this straight - In your opinion, the 300 WBY "doesn't shoot flat after 300 yards"?? Methinks I will have to beg to differ wth that suggestion.

I have owned and shot a German-made 300 Weatherby since well before you were born. Purchased in the mid-70's. In fact I ran so many rounds through her, I had to put a new barrel on it 3 years ago. On an aside, I went with a piece of Belgium cold-rolled, well over $1500.00 before turning, then add in the cost of freeboring, fitting, rebedding, and refinishing the stock (had more than a few scabbard scars) and she is once again a fine looker.
Handloadingfor that particular rifle, I can guarantee you it shoots as flat as almost anything out there, with very good accuracy well over 300 yards. I know this well, as I have indeed used it in 1,000 yard competition shooting. Not as good as a bench gun designed for that purpose, but better than good for a hunting rifle. Couple that with the greater downrange energy, and I personally think the 300 is as heavy, flat shooting and accurate as any man would ever need under any circumstances (barring cape buff's).

Saw in your original post that I quoted from the type of accuracy you get from the 7mm WBY at distance. VERY good. On that note, I would like you to consider taking Mabelingwane up on the offer of a day at the range. I would love to see a young gun with such capabilities in person, and so would strongly consider attending myself. And aYup, if that happens to work out, s'pose I'll have to drag along the ol' cannon as well ;)

Cheers,
Nog

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 01:24:29 AM »

Cant,
 1) i'm grounded till late june, so i dont get to hunt black bear this year
 2) Getting a new stock for the 7mm. I noticed a little crack in the pistol grip yesterday while i was cleaning it, i think it might have broke back in september when I threw my pack down so dad could get a rest on a ram! But before he shot i glassed it over and sure enough he was short by about 1/2 inch broomed it off lately, looked pretty fresh

Mabey thats why i'm not shooting perfect groups?

Hey pop's 300 wthby doesn't shoot good past 300 yards, to much bullet drop. Thats why i got the 7mm!
Fish killer 101

Mabelingwane

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 09:43:56 AM »

Passed my CORE yesterday with a really high mark ;D and my Pal is comming up on monday

I went to the poco range on thursday with someone and he let me shoot his guns and showed me around (since I've never shot real guns before)

Tried out his Marlin XLR 45-70 which is a pretty sweet lever action rifle, and also shot his 300 Win all at 100 metres. He said i did really well with the 300 win (3 shots at 100m with less that 1" grouping). I also shot this sweet .22 which was fun.

Great day! :)

well done Derp.. Practice, practice, practice..
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:48:51 AM by Mabelingwane »