Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who thinks Steelhead tastes bad???  (Read 13458 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Who thinks Steelhead tastes bad???
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:03:30 PM »

Man, I've heard from a few guys that their steelhead is soft or tastes funny etc and they don't eat it...I wanted Roe so if I'm keeping the fish, I'm eating her too...
I cleaned, filleted it and deboned it....I put Johnny's salmon seasoning on it with brown sugar on top, then I melt a stick of butter in a pan, add Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice, I pour this over the fish....I Bar B Q it for about 10 to 15 minutes...and it is near the best fish I have eaten,,,I have teenaged daughters who are fussy eaters....They scarfed this fish, so did the wife and well, I'm full up too...Dogs are even in on the skin now...
What a wonderful fish!!!
Think i need a new tattoo... ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Who thinks Steelhead tastes bad???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 06:09:55 PM »

It tastes like trout. I dont like the taste of trout. I dont keep steelhead or trout so they are all released with exception. The only way I will keep a trout is if my wife wants one for dinner. I kept some trout from Corbett and smoked them as I thought they might taste better smoked. I was wrong. Luckily my family liked it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Hook Set

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 06:26:48 PM »

I ate my steelhead a couple weeks ago and I loved it. It tasted great. Ya it tastes great to me but to everyone has their own opinions.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:29:33 PM »

The first hatchery I ever bonked didn't taste that good at all, but I thought it may be do that it was a mid march fish.  All the ones since I thought were great!!  I like them almost as much as Sockeye!!  I think it just depends on the person.  Everyone is different! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 06:45:02 PM »

Different taste for different folks. I love pan fried trout. Yummy.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 07:12:20 PM »

I love steelhead, and I dont think it tastes like trout at all. It's in my top 3 favourite fish for eating ;)

I guess people just have different tastes. My sister won't eat any fish, but steelhead for some reason ??? ???

4x4

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 07:21:48 PM »

I love shrimp fed interior trout if they come out of the right lakes.
I've only had Steelhead a few times and enjoyed it. I found the ones we ate to be milder than Salmon.

How you treat the fish after you kill it will determine (in most cases) how it tastes when you eat it.

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 07:24:06 PM »

SMOKED ISN'T THE GREATEST !

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 07:32:29 PM »

I wont kill one unless im going to smoke it.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 07:40:30 PM »

I'm a big fan of the eating steelhead. It's really grown on me lately. I find it to readily absorb the flavor of what I'm cooking it in and the flesh is much more moist than most salmon.

BB, I would hardly call Corbett trout the cream of the crop. They've been pellet fed their entire lives and I'm sure they probably taste about as good as a farmed fish. When your up in the boo this spring try eating some insectivorous trout from a small lake (other than Dragon, they taste like mud). I guarantee you will not be disappointed. For a reference, here are some chunks of rainbow trout from one of the lakes I frequent in the spring time. The flesh looks exactly the same as sockeye.

Actions speak louder than words.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 07:49:19 PM »

Biff I have tasted trout from here and all over the province. Just dont have a taste for it. Allot of my family is from Quesnel and growing up I did a ton of fishing up there. Didnt like the fish than and dont like it now.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 07:57:47 PM »

That is what the trout looks like from a lake that I used to have a cabin on in the cariboo. No pellet feed trout there.pure mountain madness.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 09:20:17 PM »

I hear you biffcan...I'm not a Tunkwa trout fan...but this steelhead held the seasoning better then the salmon I use it on...and was very moist...excellent eating fish....I bet river trout would taste good too but I just can't bonk those guys...C&R pretty much all my trout after eating a tunkwa once...but they sure didn't look like yours...

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 10:32:19 PM »

Iv'e stopped killing Steelhead for the last three seasons now - and quite frankly I've lost the incentive to drift for them any more other than Boxing Derby day with my Son who desperately wants to win it. He's 10, so good luck  ::). I'm not a fan of the taste of Steelhead. They're just okay same day fresh and I would sooner take some Sockeye out of the freezer than eat fresh Steelhead. That's my taste and choice. I now primarily fly fish for Steelies and in my opinion, one fly caught and released Steelie means more to me than 10 drift gear caught Steels.

I won't even go out on rainy days anymore, nor will I go out on weekends with the crowds. Now for Fraser Reds, I'll be out there in a hurricane 'cause I'm killing the first 10 that I catch.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 07:26:27 AM »

bb2000, ditto, wasn't impressed with the taste.  Just like trout, I would much rather have a nice fresh salmon.  But they are still fun to catch but I will not keep another.