Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who thinks Steelhead tastes bad???  (Read 13471 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Who thinks Steelhead tastes bad???
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 03:04:26 AM »

Just ate some steelhead for the first time, pretty good eatin but alot softer meet compared to salmon and not as much taste. Sockeye is still my favorite, then coho, then probabbly jack spring and steelhead. Add some favor and you got delicious!
The Bigger The Better!

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 12:29:49 AM »

I love steelhead, then again it's hard to find a food I don't like ;D  Steelhead like most trout has a softer taste, and doesn't fair well to feezing unless you do it right. I don't think it's fair to compare it too salmon, just a different type of taste and fish altogether, mind you I think pinks sort of have a trout quality to them :D  I treat pinks, and bows the same, I only bonk them if they're going to be smoked or eaten with a day or so.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 10:22:14 PM »

Jamie, you're bang on about the Pinks. if it's silver and I'm going to BBQ it within a few hours I may swat the poor thing. Otherwise they are C&R only for me. There are so many Pinks and so few S/H, I just don't see the point of whacking a S/H when I have Sockeye in the freezer. But that's me.

maverick

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 12:30:13 PM »

I had not eaten a steelhead for about twelve years until I took a hatchery hen on the Kitimat in the spring. I had forgotten that they taste just like trout to me. I enjoyed it and would keep another in the future.

gordc

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »

Are steelhead good to smoke?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 07:08:26 PM »

Personally I like trout but I'm not a big fan of eating the larger Steelhead. I might kill one a year for a meal of fresh fish or if a friend wants one. I just as soon release them for another angler to enjoy. Plus I would sooner eat the salmon from the freezer than whack a big Steely.

grease line

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 01:18:20 PM »

Nice pics, Biffchan...those things fought hard too...

I prefer eating good trout to steelhead. If you cook steelhead right, of course it will taste good, but a good trout will have much more fat on it. The color will be redder than a steelhead, and you can harvest them more easily from put and take lakes.

Shrimp and daphnia fed trout all the way!