Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: JW Purist 2040 Centerpin Reel  (Read 4406 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
JW Purist 2040 Centerpin Reel
« on: March 04, 2007, 12:39:57 AM »

Saw one a while back and loved it. Was hopeing one day this reel would be in my collection! :)  However they seem hard to come by and saw one the other day I may buy!  Anyone own one or have any feedback on them?? I know they are fairly delicate with the spokes and stuff.  Any feedback would be great! Thanks
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 12:41:33 AM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

J.G.

Re: JW Purist 2040 Centerpin Reel
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 08:05:32 AM »

They are a "pretty" reel.......... I found the handles to close to the edge of the reel. When you are applying pressure to the palming rim it is very easy to hit the handles. Not exactly the best design for fishing, but they look good in the showcase.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 09:46:51 PM »

They are a "pretty" reel.......... I found the handles to close to the edge of the reel. When you are applying pressure to the palming rim it is very easy to hit the handles. Not exactly the best design for fishing, but they look good in the showcase.

Hey j.g. what's up??

Doesn't Dion have one for sale???

Tricky T

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 11:49:48 PM »

This was the second pin I ever owned the first being an Avon purchased from Gord's back at the tender age of 14.  As early mentioned a great looking reel but the handles are basically right on the edge of the spool and rather large.  All in all they just plain and simple get in the way.  It did cast minimal split shot extremely well mind you but I managed to break the center pin on it twice!  Both times I was bushwacking on the Island and took bad falls in canyon stretches.  After that I sold it in search of something more durable.  If you don't hike around much, fish light lead, and palm the reel with your pinky finger with your hand on the cork above the reel, its a great reel.  If you palm the reel with the hand you use to reel in, on the bottom of the reel, the handles will definetly get in the way.

Cheers,

Jason Tonelli
www.pacificangler.ca