Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where in the world?  (Read 5100 times)

Blue Heron

Where in the world?
« on: March 07, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »

I watched the Learn To Fish Program from You Tube, the one Rod posted. In the video Brian Chan made a statement that in his opinion British Columbia has the best fishing in the world. I'm not saying he is wrong in that statement but it's a bold one. Unfortunately I haven't fished all over the world. My fishing has been done only in Canada in three diffrent provinces. The best for me so far has been B.C., however the fishing I've experienced in say Ontario is really hard to compare. How can you compare a completely different fishery to B.C. I really miss the Bass and Musky fishing out East. I just can't say B.C is the best in the world because there are so many diffrent fisheries in the world that I've never tried and I would love to try. Just thought I throw this topic out there to see your opinion. Do you think British Columbia has the best fish in the world? If so, what are you comparing that to? How many different places in the world have you fished?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:02:26 PM by Blue Heron »

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: Where in the world?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 01:19:35 AM »

Taiwan, HK, UK, Borneo, Thailand, Malasyia...
Yeh...given I was a lot younger when I fished these places, BC has some of the greatest fishing on it's doorstep, amazing to emerse yourself in some of the environments and look around to see what you have, It's different to have fish one after the other, but to have that, AND amazing natural settings, I've only really experienced this in BC.

I'm not saying it's the best in the world, but it is the best I've experienced so far. I'm planning on travelling a little more next year, my opinion may change, but BC is still a world class fishery, wherever you end up  ;D
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 07:15:49 AM »

The claim is subjective.  Best means different things to different people.  For sure there is plenty of really good fishing in BC.  Including bass, by the way.

Lumps

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »

I was born and raised in BC, started fishing at a very young age and the outdoors have been a huge part of my life. I moved to Southern California 7 years ago for work and I have missed  the fishing in BC for the same amount of time. I think you are a product of your environment, if your use to beautiful rivers and lakes and the surrounding views than BC is where its at, along with the steelhead, bows and coho. Trying to catch that down here just does not happen, you can battle traffic for 6 hours to get to a lake that has bows but than your on a lake with 60 other people, and its not the same, you just start to think of your favorite spot back home when its just you the lake and the fish.

If you talk to people down here they think they have the best fishery, but its in the ocean, tuna, yellowtail, sea bass, shark. Its fun but just not the same. To me there is not that much skill involved, find the fish and reel them in with large gear. To me nailing a steelhead on the Vedder and running down river rock and trying not to break your leg and lose the your catch is way more thrilling.

I think BC is an unbelievable place to fish and live. The best in the world, I've fished in Socal, Florida, New Zealand and Australia, I personally think BC is the best out of those places maybe except for the weather. I know I'm looking forward to moving back at the end of the year, because 2 weeks during Steely season just doesn't cut it any more. So you can call me biased.
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:46:22 AM »

One of my good fishing buddies has guided in the Yukon, Kamchaka, Chile and in B.C. and has travelled Austrailia, New Zealand for fishing trips and after all that he still swears that B.C. has the best fishing in the world. Whats surpirsing though, is that he prefers B.C.'s stillwater fishing over its river fishing opportunities.
Actions speak louder than words.

Lumps

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 09:49:44 AM »

New Zealand was a close second, I think just because it reminded me of BC.

Blue Heron

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 06:15:03 PM »

Thanks for the replies to this post. I know it's a big topic to try and some up in short. The read so far is excellent. I agree with all especially when the scenery was mentioned. British Columbia defiantly has some of the most spectacular scenery I've experienced in my life time. It would be alot to explain them all. It makes sense that the best varies between diffrent people. Luckily we can all agree B.C is one of the best sportfishing places in the world.
One of my favorites scenes is on the Vedder. First light on the river with frost all around. Then the sun creeps over the mountains and lights every thing up and there's that mist on the water. Paradise in the Lower mainland. 8)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 09:45:47 PM »

There are alot of places that offers superb fishing. It's just a matter what you're looking for.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 09:55:07 PM »

ummm ALaskA...Damn, NZ. Russia is just getting some attention and has amazing stocks...IDaHo is no slouch either...kind of depends on what your using in a way..

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 09:57:09 PM »

I think there is nothing better then sitting in your pontoon/float tube in the middle of a lake during the summer months just as the sun is rising or just as the sun is about to set. Absolutly beautiful.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 10:07:22 PM »

I plan on doing more lake fishing in the Merritt area this summer. Taking some more 3 day weekends this year. Just going to throw the frog boat on top of the truck. Just sleep in the back of my truck.

I love this province and I would not move anywhere else. Their are some places outside BC I would like to fish. Going through the Yukon I saw several rivers while driving through where I wish I could have wet a line. The rivers are so blue and clear its amazing.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Blue Heron

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 05:56:47 PM »

I spoke to a friend of mine on this topic the other day. He used to live in Salmon arm and he believes that the B.C has the best the best still water fishing in the world. I haven't had much experience with interior lake fishing but the few times I've went it was great.
Does anyone agree with still water in B.C being the best in the world?

Lumps

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 06:31:25 PM »

Maybe on lakes easy to get to, but you can still find a lot of little jewels out there, some are just hard to get to. You can't go wrong in the Williams Lake area. Lots of monsters up there.

Lumps

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 06:42:54 PM »

Totally. More and more pressure each year. If you get out of the Lower Mainland and make weekend trips out of them you can find a ton of lakes and the best part is getting into them.