Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coffee lover  (Read 9299 times)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
coffee lover
« on: February 20, 2007, 08:02:20 PM »

who is coffee lover here ?

anyone can recommend me best coffee out there ?

i am starting to get addicted to coffee and want to try the best coffee out there

thanks

wenas
hardware == fish

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Re: coffee lover
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:04:55 PM »

well you must have timmies before or during fishing ;D

weizen

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:33:44 PM »

I only drink Black coffee, and for that you can't beat timmys (IMO).

As for ammericanos/lattes/fancy expensive drinks, Blendz or Second Cup are pretty good.......of course if you're stuck they'rs always starbucks.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:10:05 PM »

I hate Starbucks. Overpriced and overroasted. I like Blenz.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:27:57 PM »

It depends on what your preferences tend towards.  I find if you're really looking for a dark tasting then go towards a French roast or Italian.  The Americas tend to have a bit more aciidity/fruity flavor and can run the gamut from mild to a stronger flavor.  I find that African beans tend to be among the better all around medium to strong flavor with a nice smooth finish.  The roasting technique of the beans has a huge part in determining flavor.  As to where.  It still depends.  Do you like regular drip style coffees or more the fancy lattes and cappucinos?

For latte's and cappucinos, one of the best barristas in Vancouver works at Cafe Artegiano (spelling!) downtown.  He's placed very high in some weird world championship for these things.  Otherwise, I find smaller places seem to make better lattes than Starbucks or Blenz.  Personal favorites?  Bean Around the World (different locations), Characters bookstore (they have a cafe inside), in Fort Langley there's an awesome bookstore/cafe right at the end of the street just before the Albion that does awesome desserts and good coffee; On West First ave Cypress (south east corner) the name I can't remember but there's always some real high end bikes (Ducati's) parked outside, Viva, near Cornwall and Arbutus' Joe's Cafe on Commercial Drive.  I know there's actually tons more I've gone to for great latte's but I can't remember names and locations.  

For drip coffees, stay away from Tim Horton's.  ;D

Granville Island has a place called Blue parrot, I think?  Actually there's a couple of places in Granville Island Market that does good coffee, from Saltspring Island.  I like Starbucks drip coffee and Blenz is okay.  And as stupid as this sounds, Macdonald's isn't all that bad if you're desperate.  
President Club S. C. & P.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:44:55 PM »

McDonald's coffee is so hot you can drive all the way to the Vedder from downtown Vancouver and the coffee will still be warm.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 10:36:47 PM »

7 eleven. english toffee. :)

testo84

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:42:42 PM »

Testo, are you wanting to find a good coffee house to sit down for a coffee or to buy beans to brew your own?

I prefer  dark French roast whole beans freshly ground. If I have time I use a bodum to brew the coffee and if not I use a single cup cone style melita drip thingee. I always keep my bodum and melita cone super clean and my thermos and coffee cups are always clean. Makes a huge difference in taste imo.

Testo, one day we`ll head down to the Commercial and I`ll show you some good cafes to get very good coffee from.

Cheers

Nuggy

i want to brew it on my own

btw..

thanks merc for the detailed explanation really help me

cheers

wenas
hardware == fish

fishfinder

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 10:45:21 PM »

There some GREAT cafes on Commercial Drive. I also like JJ Beans Coffee on Powell St.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 10:57:30 PM »

The best beans or ground are from Illy.

http://www.illy.com/home.htm

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 11:10:24 PM »

I bought a 0.2L bottle of coke from Illy at Frankfurt Airport a couple of weeks ago, it costed me CAD$4.41. :-\ Last week I bought a dozen cans from Save-on Food and Drugs, it costed me CAD$3.95. :D

Spudcote's parents opened a coffee store last year on Granville Island. He's away on holiday right now, but he'll probably post the location when he gets back.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 12:01:37 AM »

I usually buy direct from coffee farm. Jamaican coffee is what I like. Last year's crop is good the year before is bad (expensive and taste ... what taste).

Most 2006 Caribean coffees are good.  But a bit on the lighter taste than years before.  The bean is also a bit bigger.  So you'll need to grind them finer to get the same strength.  I like arabica beans with little hint of acidity (ie blue mountain) I would recommand getting medium roasted and using vacuum pot.  Other beans that are good, Kenyan, Uganda, Hawaiian blue mountain, Costa Rican beans has good aroma and economical.

So I guess it's dependent on your personal taste and brewing method.

testo84

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 12:53:31 AM »

i am honestly say that starbucks isnt the best coffee out there

it is the brand that is the best

oh well that might be just my opinion
hardware == fish

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 02:46:52 AM »

Starbucks is just so so coffee.
Testo you should try Caffe Artigiano, they makes great coffee.  For beans try Beans Around The World Coffees.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 06:33:26 AM »

the best coffee I have found so far in the lowermainland comes from an coffee shop on commercial drive called "Abruzzo". They also sell beans, but its just not the same unless you have one of those fancy coffee machines.