Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coffee lover  (Read 9298 times)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
Re: coffee lover
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2007, 01:15:00 AM »

Timmy's Macdonalds, are you guys for real?

That crap is not coffee.

Buy Illy beans, hit cafe calabria for beans or cafe artigiano for a nuttier blend...

Cheers, From a real coffee addict.
Nicole

good input
hardware == fish

chromer101

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2007, 09:48:03 PM »

get it from kona hawaii

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2007, 11:29:52 PM »

Tim Hortons coffee is insipid. I drink Starbucks dark roast black, so you can understand at what end of the coffee spectrum my tastes lay.

So you want to brew your own...

1) Buy whole beans in a vacuum sealed bag. Right now we're working through a bag of Starbucks French Roast, extra bold, from Costco. The vacuum sealed bag ensures that the beans still have that delightful oil on them. The oil makes all the difference in taste and imparts a rick smoky flavour.

2) We have two vaccum packers at home that I bought wifey for Christmas at our local IGA. They are the size of coffee cans and come with a little hand pump to draw the air out after each time you use it. Vacuum sealing at home keeps the beans fresher and the oil on it as long as possible.

3) Invest in a coffee grinder.

4) Use only a french press/bodum, not a coffee maker. The ground beans need to sit in the water, not have the water just pass through it.

5) fresh ground beans + french press + boiling hot water + 4 minutes and 35 seconds = heaven!

A whole lot more work and fuss than using regular ground coffee in a coffee machine, however soooo worth it.         

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 12:06:39 PM »

4) Use only a french press/bodum, not a coffee maker. The ground beans need to sit in the water, not have the water just pass through it.

5) fresh ground beans + french press + boiling hot water + 4 minutes and 35 seconds = heaven!

A whole lot more work and fuss than using regular ground coffee in a coffee machine, however soooo worth it.         

Agreed!  Especially the first frothy cup it's the creme de la creme.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 03:26:41 PM »

Camp Coffee iz zee best.

Troutbreath, do you mean this sludge ;D

http://www.sybertooth.com/camp/

Cheers

Nuggy

jeez I'd forgot about that stuff. can't say it's the best  :o

did some work for a fellow who is high up in the Canterbury coffee company ,he gave me a couple pounds of his special blend with brewing directions , that was the best tasting brew I've had in a long time if ever. sure  hope to meet him again and find out where to purchase his blend .
don't know the blend/supplier but the coffee brewed in the NCO's mess at Lahr was also pretty good. for the constipated but taste challenged the Bowen ferry coffee is a good bet.
I do like the White spot coffee ( Black)
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 05:23:29 PM »

testo84,

I forgot to mention that when I lived in Brazil, we had the best coffee ever. Better than anything here but like I said, Illy is awesome and pretty darn close ...... ;D