Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoons for Steelies, anyone do this?  (Read 8760 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Spoons for Steelies, anyone do this?
« on: January 25, 2007, 07:18:43 PM »

Hey Guys and Gals,

I was curious about using spoons for steelhead... Anyone on this forum a real spoon diehard?

I purchased a Gibbs Ironhead today, silver plated 1oz one, and there seemed to be quite a few to choose from... There were no all silver crocs that I could see, are they still made?

So do you guys fish the spoons off a float, or naked? Do you put on any weight, and what sizes and types of spoons are your faves?

I'm trying to add another dimension to my gear fishing strategy, as this float fishing without swinging is really bugging me, I feel I could work the lies so much better with a spoon.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated...
Nicole
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:34:07 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Spoons for Steelies, anyone do this?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:31:26 PM »

Give it a try. But beware of the rock fish. They like the iron heads as well. and at $5 a spoon. I would see them working in the long deep pools.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:38:17 PM »

You can fish spoons a million different ways.  I think 1 oz. might be a little heavy, but not for long casts and/or in deep water.  For steelhead, I prefer a wide wobble, fat bodied spoon like the BC blade from Pen Tac.  This spoon has a slow, hard thump in the water and you can really let it flutter and swim through almost any current.  Unless the fish are really skittish, try to find something in a real silver or gold finish instead of nickle.  It will flash a million times better in the water.  Nickle really almost disappears in the water.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 07:43:17 PM »

So you think 1/2 oz would be a better bet? Where can you buy the PenTac brand spoon, and also before I forget, is there any place to buy spoon parts in the valley?

Thanks!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »

I dont think theres many fish out there that can resist the flash and moment of a spoon, I have caught steelhead on spoons and always carry a couple little cleos, trick is to find the right water to fish them, probably the same water you look for to flyfish. I would think the reason they arent fished more is the price compared with a chunk of roe or rubber worm. Under normal conditions I would fish without a float or weight, nothing like feeling the fish slam the spoon as you are slowly reeling in.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 07:52:58 PM »

I'd probably go a little lighter than 1oz. But silver is definatly a good colour to start with. I wouldn't add any weight, just slow retrieve through tailouts.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 07:54:45 PM »

Pen Tac has been bought out. It's now known as Mor Tac.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 08:02:53 PM »

Nicole, heres a site for you to check out if your looking for a cheaper, better spoon.

https://www.shop.rvrfshr.com/categoryNavigationDocument.hg?categoryId=3
Actions speak louder than words.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »

Just a little too slow there Nuggy  :D
Actions speak louder than words.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 08:07:47 PM »

I like to fish my spoons naked, but this time of year is waaaay too cold for this. ;D ;)

I do fish spoons ,no lead ,no float just chuck, let it sink a little and start a slow retrive,swinging across the pool much like flyfishing.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 08:10:17 PM »

I fish with a guy who is probably the best spoon fisherman in the NW. He's had his own show and writes for STS...And he's pretty humble though fishing with him is like fishing with my wife, in that I'm always wrong.. ;)

That said, he is very helpful with me...too long to post but pm me if interested in more...Fishes straight spoons, no float or weight. 2/5 oz and 2/3 for deep runs, cheap spoons won't reflect but hard chrome ones seem to do the trick. B.C. steel are excellent spoons, (sold by cabellas)...I am a novice at it but have picked up a couple things from him...AND I can tell you this...He doesn't go fishless very often...I saw that again today...Freaking remarkable...5 seconds to clip on, 30 years to learn...

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 08:38:38 PM »

Pen Tac has not been bought out.   To my knowledge, Mor Tac has gone out of business, and Pen Tac is still going strong.  I just bought from them last week.  You can buy BC spoons from Cabelas or directly from Pen Tac at  http://www.pen-tac.com/

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 09:14:58 PM »

yes I'm interested in this clip on idea, as I imagine you'd have to fish a couple different weights through the run to fish it properly...

I'm going to give that rvrfishr guy a call, and see what he suggests...

Thanks Guys!
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 12:32:23 AM »

Fishing naked spoon is a good idea when the run seems huge to cover by float. I like to reserve my spoon when I need to go deep under strong flow and swing across the current. You have to be familiar with the run that it does not have any submerged snags if you want to save your expensive spoons. I think the size of the spoon used should depend on the current flow. The stronger, the bigger spoon.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 12:34:05 AM by Steelhawk »

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 07:11:30 AM »

check out Riverside tackle if you want ot see a great selection of 2/5oz little cleo spoons. Most likely the best in the lower mainland.