Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoons for Steelies, anyone do this?  (Read 8802 times)

J.G.

Re: Spoons for Steelies, anyone do this?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 11:46:16 AM »

Bill Herzog is the "spoon man". His book Spoon fishing for Steelhead will answer all of your questions.

A few pointers:

- never add a float to your spoon
- never add lead to your spoon
( both of these will add a negative effect to your spoons action)
- if you need to fish deeper or shallower change your style of spoon
- don't worry to mkuch about colour ( as far as paint goes)
- on bright days fish 24kt. gold
- on dark days use silver
- nickel is not silver......nickel gives you a bright flash, then a dark flash as the spoon wobbles
- if you have to reel in while your spoon is drifting you are using a spoon that is too heavy
- keep it Canadian and only buy Gibbs spoons, they are the only company to offer true sterling silver and 24kt. gold plate ( this may have changed as it has been a few years since I was field testing for them)
- read Bill's book! it is the bible!
you can p.m. me if you have more questions..........

J.G.

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 11:58:08 AM »

JG,

I have questions but unrelated but can't send PM.

Try this...........

stlhd@telus.net

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 12:16:18 PM »

Bill Herzog is the "spoon man". His book Spoon fishing for Steelhead will answer all of your questions.

A few pointers:

- never add a float to your spoon
- never add lead to your spoon
( both of these will add a negative effect to your spoons action)
- if you need to fish deeper or shallower change your style of spoon
- don't worry to mkuch about colour ( as far as paint goes)
- on bright days fish 24kt. gold
- on dark days use silver
- nickel is not silver......nickel gives you a bright flash, then a dark flash as the spoon wobbles
- if you have to reel in while your spoon is drifting you are using a spoon that is too heavy
- keep it Canadian and only buy Gibbs spoons, they are the only company to offer true sterling silver and 24kt. gold plate ( this may have changed as it has been a few years since I was field testing for them)
- read Bill's book! it is the bible!
you can p.m. me if you have more questions..........

Well it happens the book is available from the library downtown, and I'm next in line for it!

Thanks guys for all the info, I'll be sure to post my first steel on spoons as soon as I can get one!

Of course if the water is flywater, I'll be using the spey, this spoon thing is really my go to on gear when I not packing the spey rod and I want to swing... JG knows the spot I'm thinking of... ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

J.G.

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 12:44:30 PM »

Nicole............The sad thing about spoon fishing is that perfect spoon water, is usually perfect fly water.....

Chrome King..........That girl who does well on spoons........If it's the same girl, I taught her that.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 01:37:08 PM »

don't ever believe that you can't fish a spoon under a float. Oldtimers have been catching fish on the vedder using large crocs, kohos and kitimats under a float for a very long time. Saw it done on the vedder over 20 years ago and it worked well back then and still does today.

J.G.

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 02:53:23 PM »

don't ever believe that you can't fish a spoon under a float. Oldtimers have been catching fish on the vedder using large crocs, kohos and kitimats under a float for a very long time. Saw it done on the vedder over 20 years ago and it worked well back then and still does today.

The only reason I could see using a float with a large spoon is to keep it from snagging on the bottom. If you were to change your style of spoon to match the water that you are fishing then a float wouldn't be needed.
To make a spoon wobble under a float you are going to need to hold back on your presentation, thus creating a big wake on the top of the water. Most fish in general are put off by large wakes on the surface, and being directly above your offering this may turn them off biting.
The only spoon that I would fish under a float would be a Dick Nite. These aren't casting spoons so they are very light and will wobble with almost no resistance.

Walter Q

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 04:37:38 PM »

When I first moved out here from Ontario and started fishing for the steelies here I didn't use nothing but spoons and spinners. I did try the drifting, but found it extremely boring, just like I did back in Ontario. If you know how to fish them, you can hit an awful lot of water and hit some aggressive fish.  There are "types" of water that you will find more rewarding than others,,,but of course, that comes with the experience and the learning. There are always surprises, but hell, that's steelheading. And yes, you will lose a few spoons and spinners, but, only if you are fishing them correctly.
  You'll find Nicole your spey rod will do the same job that your spoons and spinners,,, just without the flash and weight, but it is "different", just not much.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 04:55:15 PM »

It's not Herzog...He wrote the book but doesn't fish spoons that much...by his own admission..allot of what he says isn't necessarily true either, guy I fish with doesn't want or need the props. He's told me many times "the guys on the river catching all the fish don't talk about it"...If you see a guy with yellow line moving through quick sometimes that him...If your really nice and stop and talk to him he can help you quite a bit...

I watched him catch one yesterday out of water I'd never thought of or tried to fish...No float fishing or drift fishing would have worked there...he taught me how to unhook you snagged hooks as well...ask Merc, but this is what he fishes all the time, not once in awhile, and it's taken him probably over 20 years to learn it....

Do you spey in flat choppy boulder runs??? didn't think so, you can't get under half the trees..this is water I saw him pull one out in yesterday. (sorry re reading the post and saw spoon and fly water being mentioned..the spoon dictates what water you fish not visa versa.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 04:58:29 PM by Xgolfman »

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 01:49:42 PM »

Thanks for returning the Herzog book Nuggy, I now have it in my posession, and it's going to be nice reading at the hair salon today :)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Ken D

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 02:16:02 PM »

Hio Nicole....another float option for you would be the twin genuine gold, or genuine silver "twinned" <colorado> blades, that Redl sells.
Now THOSE things flippin and floppin under your float with an orange bead or a pom-pom from the craft store..... and 
wazowie.  Speak with RLN on-forum, or off-forum for part nos, as I forget. They come in about three sizes of blades.
I'm just upstream of the piers under the Bulkley bridge.
One of the crusty, no ethical scoundrels from town low-holes me and stands precisely where my fly would finish, and starts in.
Naturally, I was obliged to move, or hook him in the crotch. Believe me I was tempted.
Long story short, he got 3 in as many casts.