Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: nahatlach river  (Read 9387 times)

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
nahatlach river
« on: January 21, 2007, 10:20:45 PM »

has anyone ever fished for steelhead on the nahatlach river by boston bar. checked out a few years ago around march. looked like great water but i think my timing was off.

I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

fishonsteelheader

Re: nahatlach river
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 10:57:09 PM »

Yes it is a great rive I have family up there and fish it all the time steelheading is great my last fish there was 13.5lbs but it is all wild fish up there ;D ;D ;D
love to fish.

J.G.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 10:54:29 AM »

Check the regs......It's closed......

I've fished it a few times, not a very fly friendly river.........Also watch for bears, there are an amazing amount of black bears on that river, with the odd grizzly thrown in to keep you on your toes.

J.G.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:38:20 AM »

March was a good month to fish the Nahatlatch. Unfortuneately it is no longer legal to do so. This is a severely depleted run of steelhead that need all the help they can get..........

The last time I fished there in the spring the road was plowed to the upper fishing boundry. But now that the river is closed it doesn't matter.

Yes Nuggy, there are bears everywhere in B.C. But there are areas which have higher concentrations. The Nahatlatch, from my experiences, has a lot! Bear populations, like everything else goes in cycles. The population in the Kispiox valley was unbelievable this year. In one day we saw 9 diffferent bears. And judging by the amount of mothers with cubs, next year will be the same, if not worse.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 12:05:02 PM by J.G. »

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 11:52:44 AM »

I concur. J.G.  Some years when it's a high cycle I see bears every weekend.  Concentration wise there sure alot of them in the Whistler area.  Many years back I counted 14 at the dump.  Not a place you want to take a stroll!

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 04:06:45 PM »

Well I go up there ever year and for the past 10 years and only ran into two bears  :o the river is only catch and release only for all fish from steelhead to dollies and cutthroat. and there is lost of fly water you just have to know were to go I have know the RMCP up there and they no all the hot spots and when to fish you almost have to know someone that knows all the hot spots. I have done very well in that river for all fish but steelhead the best and do they fight ;D
love to fish.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:40:45 PM »

thanks i will check the regs. as far as road conditions go. the one time i did go was during spring break years ago when we had a lot of snowfall. i didn't realize that i was actually driving my forerunner on a snowmobile track and almost got stuck by the big wooden bridge that crosses the nahatlatch.

as far as bears go...do you guys find the birkenhead river loaded with really big bears as well? i swear once i saw a bear the size of a volkswagon and unfortunately really close up.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

J.G.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 09:36:59 AM »

Well I go up there ever year and for the past 10 years and only ran into two bears  :o the river is only catch and release only for all fish from steelhead to dollies and cutthroat. and there is lost of fly water you just have to know were to go I have know the RMCP up there and they no all the hot spots and when to fish you almost have to know someone that knows all the hot spots. I have done very well in that river for all fish but steelhead the best and do they fight ;D

I have seen the majority of the river, except the canyon area. Where is all the fly water? There are some areas that are fly friendly, but I wouldn't say "lot's of good fly water".

nosey

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 04:53:54 PM »

Look under the part that says"Notice to Anglers Steelhead Management Changes", sure looks closed to me.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 04:57:17 PM »

Good rafting river thats it. Fishing on this river sucks.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

J.G.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 05:44:10 PM »

I have seen the majority of the river, except the canyon area. Where is all the fly water? There are some areas that are fly friendly, but I wouldn't say "lot's of good fly water".

There is lots of great fly water from the gate just before Cattermole logging camp down river to Nahatlatch lake. Also the channels in between the lakes offer some great fly water. The other spots are mostly pools after swift white water rapids but you will find it with enough searching..

FishingBuddah, if you have any more questions send me an email and I`ll try and help you out.

Cheers

Nuggy

You had better do some reading. It appears as though the river above Nahatlatch Lake is open all year. The river below Nahatlatch Lake is closed to signs posted 400M below Francis Lake. Your great fly water in the "channels" is CLOSED to fishing, as is the rest of the river from Jan 1 - May 31. The regs state that you are allowed to kill 2 trout. Unless you are dying of starvation please let them go. Chances are they are steelhead.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 05:47:13 PM »

No offense but if I hear any of you guys complaining about people talking about the Allouette over the internet I will loose it.
Actions speak louder than words.

J.G.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 05:52:25 PM »

The Allouette is no secret, never has, nor will be. The Nahatlatch was a "quieter" river, but with the way all interior steelhead stocks have crashed it's not such a bad idea to "talk" about it. Maybe raise a bit of awareness. The new regulations were implemented to keep people from catching these fish. All we have left to do is talk........
Since we are on the subject......Anyone fished the Stein River lately?

J.G.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 05:58:54 PM »

I just read the link..........hmmmmm........I sure look like an my friend! :-\

I wonder why it was opened.

Wanna go fishing? ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 06:00:07 PM »

Stein is one of the best rafting rivers in the province. Done it 3 times so far and loved every minute of it. All class 4 and class 5 rapids. A guide wont take you out on it unless you have rafted with him before. On my first trip going down that river we flipped over and I went down an 8 foot waterfall. Man what a rush!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family