Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First River Rod....  (Read 11123 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: First River Rod....
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 11:54:28 AM »

c
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:38:22 AM by dennisK »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 11:58:01 AM »

Yo, you guys are scaring away CustomRetrieval. ;) I suggest that you agree to disagree with each other and I shall clean up the thread a bit so we are back on the right track.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 11:59:12 AM »

Well I needed to put my 2cents worth in. As for nuggy he has helped me with advice about buying on e-bay. Bought a great reel for my brother on e-bay and saved alot. Now buying this reel has not preventing me from shopping at my local shop ( Hatch Matchers' fly and tackle ) in Maple Ridge. In fact I am there at least once a week picking up flies or leader and just about anything else and my brother is there as well, picking up a rod for that reel plus all the other tackle to go along with that. So nuggy please continue to help those that ask for help because it sure has helped me and I appreciated it. There will always be people out there that just like to get people worked up.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 12:02:23 PM »

d
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:38:30 AM by dennisK »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 12:06:35 PM »

s
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:38:38 AM by dennisK »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 12:09:18 PM »

No money was exchanged. The only thing that was exchanged was free advice. Even gave free advice on how to go about getting the 6000 ungraded. It was a great help and my brother just loves his reel. As he is very new to fishing and did not want to spend alot of money ( unlike myself ) we wanted to try e-bay and with nuggy's advice we where able to make a great purchase.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 12:16:12 PM »

I'd like to think about this paradox this way. Say someone wants to get into fishing but has limited money to do so and their getting involved in this activity is dependant on being able to get a rod and reel for cheap. So they go out and buy a rod for X number dollars off of ebay. The local tackle shop looses out on one sale but this person ends up getting really into fishing and in the end the tackle shop ends up with a potential life long customer. I'm sure most shops would rather also be the ones outfitting these guys with rods but a new customer that they wouldn't have otherwise cannot be bad.
Actions speak louder than words.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 12:22:06 PM »

Well put Biffchan. My local shop has now got one more long time customer in my brother and they are happy for that.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 12:45:24 PM »

Keep in mind guys that for a someone new to river fishing it is a good idea to develop a good relationship with a local tackle shop. When I first started out I bought most of my gear from berrys.  The amount of info that I got was priceless. You can't always get everything from the internet.  Sure you may buy hooks from them later on but you could and may possibly get them off of Ebay as well.  I am not saying that everyone should buy locally all of the time (heck even I will buy from down south sometimes!) but I can honestly say that I wouldn't have the knowledge or experience that I have now without these local shops. 

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 01:19:50 PM »

LOL this was some good reading, Dennis K you sure get you knickers in a twist easy eh ???? first of all like someone else said , if you are gonna complain about people not supporting the sponsors then you need to get out your wallet and pay Rodney for a subscription !!!!
second I bought my first baitcasting setup at my local tackle shop, and I probably spend at least $50 a month on line hooks etc .. but when it came time for me to buy some real nice expensive equipment the first thing I did was go on e-bay , I ended up with a near new calcutta 250 for under $100.. this reel would have cost me around $275 at my local tackle shop... I even told the owner where I bought it and he said that it was a good buy for me, he doen't worry because he knows that I buy all my other gear there and I also send many new customers his way !! the thing is I am not a rich guy, but I like nice things.. so of course I am going to find the best deal possible when making a bigger purchase.. Nuggy was on here trying to offer some advice to a new fisherman, and unless you have some other beef with him that we don't know about then I suggest you get some help with you're anger problem !!

TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 01:32:32 PM »

:-[

I'm busy with work right now, but please put this behind and get back to assisting customretrieval.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 01:51:51 PM »

d
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:37:57 AM by dennisK »

fish_oholic

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »

hi nuggy
how do i add a bearing in the spool? any instructions? i have a abu 6000

Greetings dennisK, I`m not going to crowd this thread as to where to shop or not. The poster asked where a *poor* student can get set up and fish. At around $50 cdn landed for a new Abu 6000 no warranty as compared to minimum $100 +taxes (if you can find a 6000) or $150 cdn + taxes for a 6500 c3 I say risk the warranty and get the new 6000 reel for $50 from Ebay. Then spend $2-5 and put a bearing in the end of the spool that has a bushing and whoolaaa....You have the equivalent of an Abu Garcia 6500 c3 for $55.00 cdn.

Now even if you break  your Abu 6000 reel, you still have saved over $100 cdn that you can use to fix it with.  It is a free market system and most people who buy stuff off of Ebay use their local tackle shops as well, just ask Bob`s, West Coast, A&N and on and on how much I spend at those places..it`s not chump change.

I hope to help as many people get set up for fishing as possible, price can be a hindrance to people getting started. If Rod has a problem with me helping people in this manner he can let me know, until then if anyone needs a hand with Ebay and ordering reels send me an email. I will help you and your family get set up for a reasonable cost to get out fishing.

Cheers

Nuggy

I'm with Nuggy on this one. I've bought a 5500 C3 and a 6500 C3 on ebay for great prices, and no problems so far.  If I do have issues, the $$ saved more than covers repairs that the warranty doesn't cover.

Make sure the seller ships it USPS and lables the package as $40 US or under, you'll avoid duties that way.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »

I go to my local shop for the little things, flies ( when I am too lazy to tie ) hooks, rigs, floats, line etc etc. Allot of my major purchases are either on EBAY, Cabela's, or down in Bellingham. If I can get a reel for $100 instead of $250 why would I pay the local shop that extra $150? For service? Not likely. I do spend quite a bit on gear at the shop as everytime I get out I am forking over about $50 a pop and this is probably atleast once a month, if not more.

Nuggy's a good guy and is always here willing to take someone out fishing and teaching them. Hey Dennis if you are going to bust him up I have a question for you. How many river cleanups have you been to in the last year? How many times have you volunteered at a hatchery? If you don't like these questions you should not have replied in the way you did to Nuggy. Its easy to criticize someone but when the roles are reversed its not so good is it?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 03:20:19 PM »

Wow....hijacked... >:(

Getting back to what Customretrieval is really asking:

REELS
Judging by the posts here that actually have some substance, there seems to be a lot of people in favour of the Abu Garcias, and if you have the funds, to upgrade to a Shimano Calcutta.

From personal experience, I started with an Abu Garcia C4 6500 spooled with 15 lb test. I have tossed spoons, drift fished, and on occasion have bottom-bounced with it. I bought the reel over 4 years ago and it still works like it just came out of the box, spooth drag, smooth retrieve and mostly unscratched. The only problem I have had with it is that in the early years of my owning it, I didn't used to loosen the drag after a day on the water, which led to a flattening of the drag discs, resulting in me having to crank the drag down tighter to get the same resistence as when I first got the reel.

For the money, I think these reels are the best value for the money (personal opinion), given the choice, I would also go for the C4 ( http://www.abu-garcia.com/prod.php?k=50128&sk=46555&p=PUR4600C4 ) instead of the C3 ( http://www.abu-garcia.com/prod.php?k=50127&sk=46555&p=PUR4600C3 ) if you can spare the $20-30 more. The C4 has a higher gear ratio and I remember reading somewhere that the gears are made of a different, more robust material. Depending on the fish you are targetting, this will affect the model of reel you're looking for, have a look at the websites above and see the recomended line ratings for each reel. I've found that the 6500 will suit anything you are looking for, although it is a bit bigger, it can be used for chum and chinook as well as coho and steelhead. It's probably be a good standby for a starter reel.

The biggest thing you have to look for in the way of maintainence is that you don't submerge it in the river/salt water, keep it out of the sand, and generally don't bang it around. My C4 spent a summer up North with me buzz bombing for coho in the QCIs in the salt, I'm not gonna lie, I didn't take as good care of it as I should have, but it came out of the season in the same condition that it went into it with. Also wash it down with fresh water after using after most trips.

I think that's reels just abotu covered if you're looking for a starter reel.

RODS
It was mentioned in another post that Trophy XL rods are good. From personal experience, and after owning 3 of them (a 4 pc med-heavy levelwind rod, a 2 pc lighter levelwind rod, and a light-weight centre-pin) I can vouch for their reliability. I used these 3 rods for over 3 seasons so far. I have only ever snapped one of them (the 4 piece in somewhat of a boating accident...), but never on a fish.

Supposably Trophy has recently come out with a new line of rods that are meant to be quite impressive, has anyone reading this had a chance to try one out ? or at least see one ?

Trophy's are reliable rods and would probably suit our needs.

Another rod that seems to be liked by a lot of people is the Shimano Convergence. I have one of their spinning rods, and has taken some nice chum and coho with it, performed perfectly, so this is another good rod you may want to have a look at. I know a lot of people who swear by them in the salt as well as the rivers.

LINE
For fishing the rivers, I'd go with 15 lb test, suitable for what you're targetting, as far as the brands go, Maxima is a good brand a lot of people stand by including myself for the rivers.

Buy it wherever you want, it's all the same product.

Hope this helps.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote