Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First River Rod....  (Read 11043 times)

CustomRetrieval

First River Rod....
« on: October 31, 2006, 01:09:52 AM »

Hello All;

Another newb here, to the both the forum and fishing the mighty (if it ever rains) river. Over the last year I have been bitten by the fishing bug, I've successfully worked the lakes, mainly spincasting with lures, and now I need to catch something bigger....
I am wondering if anybody has some suggestions/ideas about what to look for in my first river set-up.
I think that I am looking for something that is multi-purpose (coho, steelhead, sockeye...), affordable (I'm a poor student), and fun to fish.
Is my best bet a level-wind reel on a 10'6" medium action rod, seems pretty general to me?
Whats the deal with centre-pin?
I think that I am going to leave learning to fly-fish until I'm back on the lakes next summer. I guess that means drift-fishing is how I'll start, unless there is another way, perhaps?
Also, I've read a bunch of articles on the main site, they're great, they make me want try asap.

Thanks for any and all feedback;
CustomRetrieval

/too bad I missed the event organized by fisherforever; as I've only ever flossed the river before

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:13:22 AM by CustomRetrieval »

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
Re: First River Rod....
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 02:17:23 AM »

try a trophy XL for your rod needs as it's the best bang for the buck,for the reel if your on a budget then go with the abu garcia if you feel that you have a little more to spend then a shimano calcutta would be the next best thing,center pinning i think it's hard to start of with cause it's just you and the fish theres no ratio like baitcasters to aid you in pulling in fish and the drag disks to give you the stopping power.Oh yeah i forgot a center pin is definitely more $$$.good luck in your search.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 10:19:37 AM »

d
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:36:10 AM by dennisK »

weizen

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 11:03:50 AM »

Greetings dennisK, I`m not going to crowd this thread as to where to shop or not. The poster asked where a *poor* student can get set up and fish. At around $50 cdn landed for a new Abu 6000 no warranty as compared to minimum $100 +taxes (if you can find a 6000) or $150 cdn + taxes for a 6500 c3 I say risk the warranty and get the new 6000 reel for $50 from Ebay. Then spend $2-5 and put a bearing in the end of the spool that has a bushing and whoolaaa....You have the equivalent of an Abu Garcia 6500 c3 for $55.00 cdn.

Now even if you break  your Abu 6000 reel, you still have saved over $100 cdn that you can use to fix it with.  It is a free market system and most people who buy stuff off of Ebay use their local tackle shops as well, just ask Bob`s, West Coast, A&N and on and on how much I spend at those places..it`s not chump change.

I hope to help as many people get set up for fishing as possible, price can be a hindrance to people getting started. If Rod has a problem with me helping people in this manner he can let me know, until then if anyone needs a hand with Ebay and ordering reels send me an email. I will help you and your family get set up for a reasonable cost to get out fishing.

Cheers

Nuggy

I'm with Nuggy on this one. I've bought a 5500 C3 and a 6500 C3 on ebay for great prices, and no problems so far.  If I do have issues, the $$ saved more than covers repairs that the warranty doesn't cover.

Make sure the seller ships it USPS and lables the package as $40 US or under, you'll avoid duties that way.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 11:24:44 AM »

s
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:36:01 AM by dennisK »

weizen

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 11:29:25 AM »

weizen: "I hope to help as many people get set up for fishing as possible, price can be a hindrance to people getting started."

If you're going to quote either Nuggy or myself, please get it right....re-read the posts it wasn't me that typed that.  Although I do agree with the statement, please take more time with you're quotes.

As for advertising a business, can't see how you can justify that statment (whoe's business is he advertising anyway?). Alll Nuggy is doing (with my support) is helping a new poor student get into some cheap fishing gear....no need to get all worked up about it.   ;)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 11:31:42 AM »

d
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:35:35 AM by dennisK »

weizen

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 11:38:56 AM »

weizen: "I hope to help as many people get set up for fishing as possible, price can be a hindrance to people getting started."

As for advertising a business, can't see how you can justify that statment (whoe's business is he advertising anyway?).

Nuggy: hope to help as many people get set up for fishing as possible, price can be a hindrance to people getting started - until then if anyone needs a hand with Ebay and ordering reels send me an email. I will help you and your family get set up for a reasonable cost to get out fishing.

Seems like he's offering a service as a reel broker to me.

ps. And if you think I'm "worked up" now you ain't seen nothing LOL. This is just level 1   :o

Cheeze you're fast on you're post edits...with all that editing people are going to wonder what we're going back and forth over....LOL,  anyway, why don't we just agree to disagree with how new anglers buy gear, and let customretreiver decide what advice he takes from this thread and what he tosses away.   I'm sure we could go back and forth all day, but it would serve no good other than to further hi-jack his thread.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 11:40:53 AM »

gh
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:35:50 AM by dennisK »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 11:43:01 AM »

c
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:36:30 AM by dennisK »

weizen

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 11:44:53 AM »

Isn't even an issue so long as you're jumping to the conclusion that he's charging....you back edited your other post to put a disclamer that you don't mind if he does it for free, just take some time and not jump to conclusions.  As for paying to advertise on this site, that's Rods business, and i'm not going there.

If nuggy is offering to broker reels from Ebay for a charge he should pay Rod for advertising here, no? And it wasn't just for one person, he did say "anyone".

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 11:46:59 AM »

Isn't even an issue so long as you're jumping to the conclusion that he's charging....you back edited your other post to put a disclamer that you don't mind if he does it for free, just take some time and not jump to conclusions.  As for paying to advertise on this site, that's Rods business, and i'm not going there.

If nuggy is offering to broker reels from Ebay for a charge he should pay Rod for advertising here, no? And it wasn't just for one person, he did say "anyone".

So your first assumption when someone offers to broker reels from Ebay for anyone on this site that they will not want $1 for his work? You think he will offer it totally for free.

weizen

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 11:50:03 AM »

So your first assumption when someone offers to broker reels from Ebay for anyone on this site that they will not want $1 for his work? You think he will offer it totally for free.

Why don't you re-read what he typed....You're going off and putting words in posts that arn't there. He never used the word broker...you started that one.  All he is offering is to help people get set up on ebay that would allow them to buy gear at a reasonable cost.  Carefull with your words again, and all that back editing of you're posts is starting to annoy me.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 11:52:25 AM »

x
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:39:00 AM by dennisK »

weizen

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 11:53:41 AM »

Why don't you re-read what he typed....You're going off and putting words in posts that arn't there. He never used the word broker...you started that one.  All he is offering is to help people get set up on ebay that would allow them to buy gear at a reasonable cost.  Carefull with your words again, and all that back editing of you're posts is starting to annoy me.

You re-read it. it sounds like an ad to me.

Nuggy: hope to help as many people get set up for fishing as possible, price can be a hindrance to people getting started - until then if anyone needs a hand with Ebay and ordering reels send me an email. I will help you and your family get set up for a reasonable cost to get out fishing.

Oh brother....finish reading the part you didn't BOLD.

Anyway, i've had enough of this, i'm late for lunch.....later