Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First River Rod....  (Read 11081 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: First River Rod....
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2006, 03:44:07 PM »

I have 3 Trophy rods, one for barfishing, one for drift fishing and one for spin casting. All great rods for the money.

As for the Abu's I own like 5 or 6 of them. Every year something goes on them and always repairing them. I am going another route starting with Steelhead season. Time for me to start forking out the money.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2006, 04:10:13 PM »

we don't know about then I suggest you get some help with you're anger problem !!

TR

Anger problem, I have none. (TR - why are you using exclamation points - are you "angry"?)

Nor have  I made any personal attacks (ie. name calling).

But it seems like a lot of you have a hard time with someone asking strong questions.

Here's a tip - next time your read something on the internet - pretend you are not using your emotions to filter the sentences.

Just read the w o r d s. 
It just seemed to me that you went after Nuggy for trying to help out a fellow fisherman.. if you have a look back at his postings you will see that he has helped out a lot of people and never asked for anything in return ... and I think we have a hard time trying to figure out where you're "STRONG" questions come from; completely uneccessary.. and I am going to ask you one more time why you aren't willing to part with a few $$ for a subscription if you are so worried about Rod and his site and his sponsors.
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2006, 04:38:05 PM »

Hey CustomRetrieval,

I know your original post is in here somewhere :) Welcome aboard. I'm still a Newbie here but I've had some great advice thus far from guys like Thick Rick and Rodney. I purchased all my tackle from Army & Navy as they are just down the street from me, bought used waders and boots from FlyRod (Bare Blackwaters and Simms boots) and a Patagonia SST wading jacket from ....wait for it ....Ebay. I saved myself over $100.00 CDN on the jacket and it turns out the seller was in Vancouver so I saved on the shipping and taxes as well.

Anyway, to the point of your question, I am currently borrowing an Abu Garcia reel and rod combo which besides having too much line on the reel the first time I used it, has been just great. So far I've landed countless chums plus a 30 pound Spring last week and a 40 pound Spring the week before. I can see myself wanting to try out another reel at some point but for now, I'm set. If you have any questions, let me know. Happy to help you out if I can.

ps: I created a very cool little Ebay calculator in Excel the other day that takes the current exchange rate, the US retail price of an item, the Canadian retail price (plus applicable taxes, duty and shipping charges) and the Ebay bid price and calculates the CDN savings based on the current bid. I have everything shipped to a PO Box in Point Roberts, WA to save on shipping. I have purchased other gear from Highwater tackle in North Vancouver and some at Michael & Young Fly Shop. For the more expensive items, you can't knock Ebay IMHO.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 04:42:31 PM by Kelso »

frenchy

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2006, 05:20:38 PM »

welcome

Rod: I have a shimano convergence medium action. I really like it for steelhead but I am sometimes a bit worried when I am fighting a big angry chum.

Reel: I have a abu garcia 6601 C4 with 15 pounds test. It is really a great reel. The thumb bar is really cool to cast but I had to get used to it when it came to striking. My thumb controling the spool during the drift sometimes interfers when I strike, because my thumb position does not allow the thumb bar to come up.

CustomRetrieval

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2006, 01:24:54 AM »

Thanks for all the great advice. I almost bid on this reel last night, an Abu Tournament:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160044355393&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:CA:1
but I figured I should look into it a little more. I'm willing to wait several weeks so I'm sure something will come along. A quick question regarding reel handedness, is it the same as when using a spincasting reel?  I normally reel with my left hand when spincasting and it seems like I might want to use my right thumb when baitcasting.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 03:28:12 PM »

;D

Hey I saw something else there Bill   ;D  ;D  ;D

CustomRetrieval

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2006, 11:30:12 PM »

I went down the Army & Navy today to check out some reels. I am impressed by the quality of their fishing department, affordable and diverse...
The Abu 6501 is definitely a nice reel. Now I just need to find a decent used one to pimp out. I was looking at aftermarket bearings and drag plates at http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/ (link found in a different thread) Is there anywhere to get these parts locally, an Abu Mecca perhaps?

CustomRetrieval

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2006, 11:42:35 PM »

I just realized that Mike's Reel Repair is in Abbotsford. Maybe I should have looked more closely before.
ummm, yeah.........

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 09:13:21 AM »

CustomRetrieval, email me for photos I have a lefty ambassadeur you may like.

pukapuka@gmail.com
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:28:33 AM by dennisK »