Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I MISS SALMON :(  (Read 4917 times)

canadian-countrygrl

I MISS SALMON :(
« on: October 30, 2006, 09:51:30 PM »

There's only white fish here in Alberta. It sucks.  Just wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone. Hope your all enjoying the salmon season.  I sure miss it. I'm going hunting this weekend with some friends. Ick, Kind of freaked out about it but I really just want to shoot something. I'll leave the bleeding and gore to the guys. Should be fun. I'd post some pictures but I'm not sure if it really goes with a fishing forum so I'll have to leave it out sorry.

Well happy fishing hope your all enjoying yourself. :(

I feel jeolous! haha. Oh, by the way, I DID run into a really sweet warehouse for fishing out here. I'm sure you'd all appreciate it. It ROCKS!

Cheers!
CC

MAY THE HOLES IN YOUR NET BE NO LARGER THAN THE FISH IN IT!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: I MISS SALMON :(
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 09:58:06 PM »

Nice to hear from you again.  I would love to tell you that this fall season has been stellar, and well if you like Chum and Bug smally white spring, then you would be in heaven.  This year for Coho has been ok, and pretty good for some.  Just look through the fishing reports if you need a Salmon Pron fix, there are some good pics in there that should help the void, or now come to think of it, make you miss it even more.  I hope you have a good hunting trip and don't be a stranger. ;) :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 12:31:22 AM »

Country Girl: don't throw in the towel yet. Depending on which part of Alberta you have settled into, you are in a sportsmans paradise. Granted you do not have salmon out there, and winter is settling into the prairies but this is the time to gear up for the upcoming fishing season next year. Stop by your local fishing tackle store and they will be able to inform you of what you can expect to find in your surrounding lakes and rivers. In Alberta you can fish for walleye, large monster pike, brown trout, rainbow trout, lake trout, cutthroat trout, brook trout, grayling, and in the high alpine lakes golden trout. You have streams and rivers in that province which draw anglers from all over the world - especially flyfishers as you have many blue ribbon trout streams in the south such as the Bow, Crowsnest, and the Oldman river to name just a few. So take it from some one that used to live in Alberta for a number of years, once you get used to your surroundings, your fishing rod will not be idle for very long.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 10:31:05 AM »

good to hear from you, Whats wrong with whitefish ;D ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 10:35:53 AM »

I hear ya about the Alberta sucking part! Where abouts you 'trapped'?
Actions speak louder than words.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 05:54:28 PM »

and if u into the green stuff, ;D there is no more BC bud for u any more, just albertan brown stuff!
Fish killer 101

David

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 06:23:53 PM »

Firstly I'd just like to ask why on earth Youngun, at the age of 15 is even talking about "green stuff" on a family fishing website??? :o

Secondly, I hear you Cowgirl - BIGTIME!!!!  I've just left the lower mainland to move to Nova Scotia!!!  You think fishing in Alberta sucks???  Holy mackerel, you should visit out here!  In fact, that seems pretty much all there is to catch out here - Mackerel!  I've gone from catching 30lb plus salmon and 200lb plus sturgeon to some of the smallest mackerel, trout and Smallies you've ever seen.  I'm sorry, it's true they do have some decent Striped Bass fishing here, the odd shark charter, and reports of some Atlantic Sturgeon (that no one fishes for or knows anything about) but SERIOUSLY, that is it!  Btw, when I say smallest I truly mean not a lot at all over 1lb.

I am sufering so badly, I'm already planning a trip to the St Lawrence next year to mix it up with some 20, 30, maybe 40lb carp, pike and Atlantic Sturgeon (the sturgeon there do get bigger than 40lb).  Apart from that I have TOLD the wife that we are going back to BC next October.  She thinks it is for our Anniversary/thanksgiving trip home to see her Mom, I however can't wait to hit the Fraser, Stave and Chedder! ;)

Anyway, I hope you're all enjoying some of THE most phenomenal fishing on the planet at the moment, catch some for me!

Tight lines
David

David

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 06:25:56 PM »

Sorry Country girl, not the afore mentioned "Cowgirl"! 
I'm English, it all seems fairly similar to me still. ;D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 07:04:41 PM »

David, if you ever get a chance head up to Cheticamp (sp) on Cape Breton Island. They run some wicked charters out of there for cod/bottom fish. Not really that exciting compared to B.C. but still a fun and affordable way to enjoy a day on the water. Back in 97 when I went it cost me $12 for a 4 hour trip  ;D

black jack

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 08:07:40 PM »

David,

How far are you away from the Miramichi? What's happening there?

Jack

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 08:34:17 PM »

Hey countrygrl, the fishing in cow town is definately something that takes time to learn.  I have been here 2 years, and at first all I got were white fish too... (you were probably fishing near the mouth of the elbow right?)  Anyways, the trick is to fish in the best spots at the right time of year... a good starting point is fish creek park at the bow river.  this time of year, just nymph one san juan worm, one midge, and maybe something like an evil wevil or prince... If your not a flyfisher, learn to "highstick nymph" or use flies on a spinning rod and you'll still get tonnes of fish.

Also, there are some fishing "clubs" (if club can be used to mean a bunch of people drinking beer in front of a vice while b.s.ing).  The one I go to is called fly tye tuesday, and its at the rose and crown, but there is also a bigger one called the hook and hackle club. 

Anyways, good luck with your white fish, and don't eat anything out of the bow (Yuck!).  PS, heres a fish I got from the bow.  (Any chance I can get to show that one again!)  ;D

Jon

There's only white fish here in Alberta. It sucks.  Just wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone. Hope your all enjoying the salmon season.  I sure miss it. I'm going hunting this weekend with some friends. Ick, Kind of freaked out about it but I really just want to shoot something. I'll leave the bleeding and gore to the guys. Should be fun. I'd post some pictures but I'm not sure if it really goes with a fishing forum so I'll have to leave it out sorry.

Well happy fishing hope your all enjoying yourself. :(

I feel jeolous! haha. Oh, by the way, I DID run into a really sweet warehouse for fishing out here. I'm sure you'd all appreciate it. It ROCKS!

Cheers!
CC

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 08:44:10 PM »

Hey Jonny, I know its probably too late in the year but I'll be in Calgary again a few days before Christmas. What are the prospects like at that time of year? I'm assuming pretty slim, but maybe during chinook? Is it even open (ice and regulation wise) The other question I have is what is the shore access like and do I need to have my waders with me?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 10:50:51 PM »

If I remember correctly lower Bow fishing is pretty much over from mid Nov.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 10:59:10 PM »

Firstly I'd just like to ask why on earth Youngun, at the age of 15 is even talking about "green stuff" on a family fishing website??? Shocked

Because now-a-days, young people at the age of 12 and 13 smoke "Green Stuff"
not a very good choice IMO, but I am not surprised at all  ???

btw, I know nothing about fishing in calgary, but I've heard good things about the bow!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 11:03:59 PM by Youngin »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »

"I DID run into a really sweet warehouse for fishing out here."

Ya and they will probably tell you, as you know, fishing is pretty well over in September (starts in July), till things freeze up for ice fishing irrigation sloughs. Enjoy the Pike they don't taste too bad when you find someone who knows how to fillet them. Other than that have a steak, cow steak. Love Alberta or leave it, I did.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?