Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I MISS SALMON :(  (Read 4892 times)

David

Re: I MISS SALMON :(
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 08:17:14 AM »

Hey Biffchan, thanks for the advice but unfortunately Cheticamp is about a 6 hour drive away from me (as is the Miramichi - Black jack) so a cheap days fishing becomes extremely expensive on the gas front.  I know there are bottom fishing charters closer to me and I will get around to giving them a go - cheapest I've found so far is about $45 for a half day.  However, I think I would prefer to save up for one of the Shark fishing charters!  The World record Shortfin Mako came out to one of the local charter boats and weighed in at about 1100lb's!  Now were talking. ;)

The Salmon out here are around, but not in very big numbers or size (certainly compared to BC) on one of the local forums the guys are cooing about 5lb salmon!  Hmmmm???  And you can only fly fish for them, which isn't a terrible thing, but when you own 15 different fishing rods, including 2 trout fly rods, going out and buying some salmon fly gear may be a tricky one to get past the wife. 

Oh well, I'll just have to keep on with the Striped Bass fising here.  That sems to be my best (and cheapest) chance of a decent fish, the Canadian record came out from a river near here at 54lb.  That'll do!

Tight lines

David

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 10:43:50 AM »

Howdy Biff,  if you hit weather above 5 C (for more then a day or two to get rid of the slush), you can fish downstream of the city and have amazing fishing all winter.  I actually think the river produces more and bigger fish during the winter. 

below 5C and you'll start icing up and you cant fish through the slush at all.  Again, fish creek park is the easiest to fish and has lots of fish in every deep hole during low water in the winter.  In fact, the fishing is WAY better downstream of the city in general (for obvious reasons  :-X )...  And you will need waders most likely, even just to keep warm.  And most of the fish are taken on midges, but SJW's and wevils are ok too.  If your in town before I leave for christmas drop me a line and we can go fishing (weather permiting).  :P  Another good spot is across from the mouth of the highwood river... Lots in the 20 - 24 range and a few bigger.

J5

Hey Jonny, I know its probably too late in the year but I'll be in Calgary again a few days before Christmas. What are the prospects like at that time of year? I'm assuming pretty slim, but maybe during chinook? Is it even open (ice and regulation wise) The other question I have is what is the shore access like and do I need to have my waders with me?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 10:51:01 AM »

Sounds good Jonny. I'll be in town from the 19th till the 24th.  I'm going to be back in BC in November so I can bring up my 4 peice then. I'm not too sure about my waders though. I probably should keep some gear up here though, I've been to Calgary 5 times within the last year so I really should just bite the bullet and bring it up.
Actions speak louder than words.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 05:40:08 PM »

Yo Biff, you can rent a pair of waders at Ucalgary for 14$ and they are pretty nice.  Email me at jzuccolo at ucalgary.ca around that time and we'll figure something out, this winter should be better than the last one  ;D

Jon

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »

Can do. Maybe, I'll keep my extra waders and boots up here.
Actions speak louder than words.