Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lines - Braided vs. Mono vs. ???  (Read 5771 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Lines - Braided vs. Mono vs. ???
« on: October 18, 2006, 08:26:55 AM »

I'm going to spool a new reel and I'm flip flopping on what line to put on (bait cast for the Vedder).  Suggestions please?  The more advice the merrier!

Also - Rodney - an idea for another forum - TECHNIQUES.  I'm a newbie and searching thru reports and general discussion for techniques has been driving me nuts!  It's all great and interesting reading, but my head starts swimming reading all the different stuff... a board like Fishing Reports, but only for advising different techniques and hardware everyone uses (ie. shortfloating - that took me hours to find WHAT it was after reading about so many people using it).

ciao and thanks!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Lines - Braided vs. Mono vs. ???
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 08:31:59 AM »

15 Pound Maxima Ultrgreen . 12/10 pound maxima ultragreen leader line, Use Monofilament braided line isnt a great ides with these low clear conditions

Why don't you like 20lb maxima for mainline Anthony?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:35:37 AM »

If you have the time, this Saturday there will be that instructional session  on the Vedder River that has been organized  by Fisherforever. May want to view the threads on that topic to see if it is something you would be interested in attending.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:54:12 AM »

I have a ton of different fishing rods...pins, bait casters, spin casters, and I have a mix of both braid and mono.  I know a lot of guys here don't like braid but it has some distinct advantages over mono and its few (imo) disadvantages are easy to overcome.  I think a lot of the negative impressions about braid are because people come off of the fraser with 50lb braid, Bouncing betty harnesses and 15 foot leaders and just make a mess of vedder with that rig.

Here is one of my favourite rods to fish right now: 9 foot lami rated 8-12lbs, with a shimano conquest loaded with 30lb moss green power pro.  I have caught coho and steelhead float fishing this rod on gin clear water so I am convinced a little bit of braid doenst spook them off.  Let me quantify that though.  I fish a drennan on the 30lb briad to that I tie a swivel with 2-3 feet of 12 lb maxima to which I pinch on split shot, then comes another swivel with leaders running from 6-10lb.  Works like a charm.  Casts super smooth, backlashes pick out easily, low stretch means a newby can get away with being a little slow on the hook set, braid is lighter than mono so its easier to mend and has less water drag...I tell you, 20-30lb braid can be very nice to fish. 

case in point, the last report I made where I got my first coho of the season, I was using the above rod with a 3 foot 8lb leader and on the end was an inline spinner I made (#4 french blade, green tape, 1/0 hook and 4 plastic beads).  Its a light spinner and that rig with no added weight, I can cast 50-65 feet.  The light spinner can be retrieved super slow as it doesnt sink too fast...its a deadly presentation and I know I couldn't fish it with 12-15 lb mono...casting would be too tough.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:57:42 AM by Gooey »

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 08:58:41 AM »

i would use mono for the vedder either 12-15lbs for the main line and 8-10lbs leaders , I've had no problem in the past landing large fish as well  ;) as for the braided i use that mainly on the Fraser as i don't find a need  for it when drift fishing,you could use either but for the most part your gonna see everyone on mono when it comes to the vedder
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 09:01:17 AM by scruffy »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 09:42:57 AM »

jk
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:34:48 AM by dennisK »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 10:29:11 AM »

I just think that people that use heavy braided line just like to horse fish in and don't care about the fighting aspect of the sport.

I was always taught to bring the fish in as fast as possible for 2 reasons:

1) If you intend to release the fish, a quick catch and release reduces strsess on the fish and allows for highest chances of survival.

2) If you intend to keep and eat the fish, a quick catch reduces the physical stress on the fish and allows for better tasting fare.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 10:36:52 AM »

Right now im using 12lb on my pin, I find that fine. However I have 15lb on my other pin.  Cant really tell the difference. As  for braided, Save it for barfishing or bottom bouncing the fraser ;)
weeeeeeeeeow!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 11:27:34 AM »

Roe Kid, have you fished a ful season with braid?  I know you have a little bit of experience but do you have ANY experience fishing braid other than on the fraser? 

Do you know that lots of great lakes fishers use braid on their pins?  Thats right!  Due to its small diameter, its much easier to cast.  Ever seen a guy cast a center pin by holding the line 6 inches away from the spool, directly over the axle?  Makes your center pin cast like a spinning reel and you can really cast light gear a long way.  You can only do it with braid though cause it doesnt twist up like mono would.

Few more plusses to braid: doesnt stretch..every time you snag your weight with mono and stretch out your line, you weaken it.  If I snag my weights and they dont pop free easily, I usually end up cutting 15 or so feet of line off to get rid of the stretched/weaken line.  You dont need to worry about that with braid. 

That said I have fish one spool of braid on the fraser for 4 years (and counting), you certainly dont waste line changing up braid as regularly as you do with mono.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 11:30:13 AM »

PS  As for fish for the table.....bleed out your fish right after you have catch it instead of bonking it on the head.         

I'm a wuss. I can't do it to the fish while it's alive - a quick bonk to stun/kill and THEN bleed it - the heart should still be pumping and you'll get your bleed but the brain will be gone so no pain to sammy the salmon.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 11:39:52 AM »

I'm with Gooey on this one.  I only use mono main line for casting spoons/spinners without a float.  On top of the advantages Gooey already mentioned for braid it will also last much longer and you will rarely loose your floats.  It also gives you the ability to use an ultra light reel and still have decent line capacity and strong main line.  Be sure to use a Palomar knot when tieing the braid to the swivel.  I use the yellow Tuff Line XP and color the first 10 feet or so with a green or black permanent marker.  I don't see any point in using braid thinner than #30 because it is already quite thin and if it was any thinner it would have less abrasion resistance and birdsnest would be harder to untangle.

oops I see Gooey has already replied but I will leave my response to show I'm in agreement with him.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 11:45:02 AM by Eagleye »

Ribwart

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 12:03:19 PM »

11 ft+ rod, centerpin, 12 lb main ultragreen mono, short leaders (12-24") anywhere between 6-8 lbs ultragreen mono, 10 lb if I'm fishing red springs, but I haven't done much of that the last few years...short float almost to an extreme rarely if ever snag a fish, haven't had any problems with this setup regardless of conditions...
rib

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 12:27:38 PM »

Gooey, which reel were you using for fishing spinners. I'm considering filling my ct250. Think it will work for tossing unweighted spinners?
Actions speak louder than words.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »

OK - I'm hearing mono, I'll forget the braided for now - BUT what's the difference Mono to fireline?  I've heard it's smoother, casts farther and less birdsnests...
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 12:30:03 PM »

Fireline is just another brand of braided. It along with spiderwire will instantly cut through mono so if you're fishing in the vicinity of anyone else I don't really reccomend it.
Actions speak louder than words.