Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lines - Braided vs. Mono vs. ???  (Read 5774 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Lines - Braided vs. Mono vs. ???
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 12:33:21 PM »

Fireline is a "super line" that is not braided, it is a fused line that doesn't hold up very well.  If you are considering braid I would recommend Tuff Line XP, it is a true braid.  Also I have never witnessed Tuff Line cutting through mono but I've heard this can happen with fireline.   Another advantage of using braid for mainline is that it floats better than mono. The advantage of mono over braid is that it is more translucent and has some stretch which can help keep your hook in place when playing a fish.  Both of these characteristics are good for leader line.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:47:57 PM by Eagleye »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 12:57:51 PM »

Scouter, how is your casting?  If its really bad and you get birds nests, braid may be better as it is way easier to pic out.   I have been fishing salmon for around 20 years and only now am I starting to experiment with braid and it very well could be a new fisher may not appreciate the differences that much.

Biff a I have never fished a CT 250, one thing I can tel you is that the shimano conquest 200 has 11 bearings!!! its super smooth.  If the internet info is correct, a ct250 has only 3 bearings?  As well a 200, the level wind disengages which creates a longer cast, not sure if the 250 LW disengages?  As well, I dont think it would handle the same casting with a 10.5 rod...my 9 footer seems great for casting these light spinners and spoons.

If you like I have a bulk spool of 30lb powerpro, if you are on the North Shore, I could spool yua up for cheap.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 01:18:31 PM »

My castings not too bad - maybe 1 birdsnest for a 6 or 8 hour trip (OK, sometimes maybe 2!  ;) )
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 10:50:55 AM »

I'm  ??? SO CONFUSED ???  Read this on Mike's Reel forum - aarrrggghhhhh

For baitcasters I recommend Tuf Line Plus. Not the Tuf Line XP which is exactly like the Power Pro, but the Tuf Line Plus. It's the only 100% spectra line I could find on the internet. All the other super lines have added nylon to their compostion in order to stiffen the line and reduce the tangles at the end of the rod. But that was done for people using spinning rods. This is a far less occurance with baitcasters because baitcaster have less slack line after a cast.

Tuf Line Plus is the most supple of the super lines and it casts further than the stiffer super lines.

I was using the original Gorilla braid in 12 lb test but will be using 18 lb test Tuf Line Plus which is actually smaller than the Gorilla Braid.

Comments???

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 01:04:54 PM »

Well are you leaning towards braid or mono now? 

If you have a smaller reel, braid is great as it rarely break (the way I fish it) so you dont need to respool lots.  If you have a stiff rod, having some stretch/forgiveness in mono can help protect your leader from snapping if a fish makes a big run.  If you like casting light gear with little extra added weight then the thinness of braid is a huge advantage...there are so many different factors that I can't advise you unless I know exactly what your application is.

I like power pro...do some reading yourself: http://www.powerpro.com/advantage/index.asp

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 01:26:43 PM »

I think still mono, but all the reading is the problem confusing me! LOL  I've been doing a lot of reading on salmon fishing trials and bass trials (similar river specs).  Sounds like the best is still mono, with a florocarbon leader - here's what I read on the leaders with Salmon at http://www.tackletour.com/reviewseaguar.html

First, why use a fluorocarbon leader?: The theory behind the design of Fluorocarbon lines is that some fish will shy away from a lure or bait when they see a visible line. To prevent fish from spooking and increase your chances manufacturers like Seaguar have designed Fluorocarbon lines that are supposed to be near invisible underwater. The way they work are that they boast a refractive index which is nearly identical to that of the water. Seaguar explains "When you immerse a Fluorocarbon leader in water, it blends in so well that it's almost impossible to see with the naked eye. And if the fish can't see it, they are far less likely to spook and more apt to strike."

Salmon Fishing: When we went mooching for Salmon half the team rigged up with Trilene Big Game 20lb and mono leaders, while MP and I rigged up 4 ft. Seaguar leaders. The leaders were connected to our main line via a swivel. By the end of the day both MP and I had fish, while only one of the other guys had landed a fish. The interesting thing was that we had twice as many hits as the other 2 guys who rigged mono leaders to their anchovies. Salmon have pretty good eyesight, and it was no surprise to us that the baits that had Seaguar leader were more often hit. Because Seaguar is near invisible it is ok to go higher on your line weight. This is important if you are fishing for huge Salmon, or Albacore, as it allows anglers to use normally hi-vis lines like braided or fused varieties and still present a lifelike bait with a long thick leader. The charter boats we go out on always use some type of leader, and experienced deck hands claimed that at times even a foot of Seaguar can make the difference between getting hit and being ignored by finicky fish. So for this test we would have to say that Seaguar performed well, and did give us that extra edge over line-shy Salmon.