Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One last question on short floating  (Read 6481 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
One last question on short floating
« on: October 03, 2006, 01:37:16 PM »

Ok, C.G. and others that use and love drennans...or the new DNE's...unless you peg these aren't they going to let your weight go straight to the bottom? then your leader length would be (with current speed being a factor as well)...the determining factor on the height of your presentation???

I always thought this was the whole idea of it...I read Rod's post on short floating and I read in "Float fishing for steelhead" by Dave Vedder that float fishing by bottom bouncing takes into account the better of both worlds of float fishing and bottom bouncing...He said that he has friends who fish both ways...(bb with a float and short floating) and the bb's with a float tend to catch more fish...

Isn't the whole idea of drennans and any slip float to get your weight along the bottome where it ticks bottom every so often? What am I missing here???

Now that I'm trying the C.P. for Salmon as drifting an egg pattern with an indicator is essentially the same thing to me and until the coho's and chum arrive in numbers to warrant my fly rod's return..I would like to do it properly and ethically as well if that makes sense...

Finally, I've realized that on the fly side of it..when your fishing a sink tip or in my case versa tip and using and egg pattern or whatever to get it down to the bottom you are foul hooking fish this way...A guy I know blew up his 8wt on the vedder last Tuesday doing this and foul hooked a big chum in the tail....So isn't this essentially bb's as well??? and if so fly rod or not shouldn't it be considered undesirable way to fish??
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:02:36 PM by Xgolfman »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: One last question on short floating
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 03:01:42 PM »

It does birdman...that's what I figured but wondered then why use Drennans?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 03:45:27 PM »

Drennans are more sensitive.(and more costly )

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 04:01:20 PM »

They've  become a status symbol.... ::)
Actions speak louder than words.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 06:25:52 PM »

They've  become a status symbol.... ::)
They use to be. To be in with the in crowd use Stealths, Maple Leaf ones of course. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 06:37:38 PM »

Ok, C.G. and others that use and love drennans...or the new DNE's...unless you peg these aren't they going to let your weight go straight to the bottom? then your leader length would be (with current speed being a factor as well)...the determining factor on the height of your presentation???

I always thought this was the whole idea of it...I read Rod's post on short floating and I read in "Float fishing for steelhead" by Dave Vedder that float fishing by bottom bouncing takes into account the better of both worlds of float fishing and bottom bouncing...He said that he has friends who fish both ways...(bb with a float and short floating) and the bb's with a float tend to catch more fish...

Isn't the whole idea of drennans and any slip float to get your weight along the bottome where it ticks bottom every so often? What am I missing here???

Now that I'm trying the C.P. for Salmon as drifting an egg pattern with an indicator is essentially the same thing to me and until the coho's and chum arrive in numbers to warrant my fly rod's return..I would like to do it properly and ethically as well if that makes sense...

Finally, I've realized that on the fly side of it..when your fishing a sink tip or in my case versa tip and using and egg pattern or whatever to get it down to the bottom you are foul hooking fish this way...A guy I know blew up his 8wt on the vedder last Tuesday doing this and foul hooked a big chum in the tail....So isn't this essentially bb's as well??? and if so fly rod or not shouldn't it be considered undesirable way to fish??
I think you got most of the info from Rodney's link and other posters. I think the old school method of fishing for steelhead that said unless you were bouncing along the bottom and losing tackle you would not be successful. I often wonder if tackle manufactures came up with this idea to sell their wares. ;D

Anyway the anglers that catch the majority of the steelhead these days keep their offering above the bottom by short floating although when the fish start to hold up later in the season the sweepers take a fair amount also. ::)

Forgot to address your last part, yes people that fish a fly in a certain manner will also be taking some fish by the sweeping method. Hey I like the term sweeping instead of flosssing, bottom bouncing etc.

Definition of sweeping extending over a wide range, extensive; complete, comprehensive, things swept up.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:50:47 PM by chris gadsden »

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 10:45:58 PM »

Hi all,

when I came over here from the UK last year I brought a ton of Drenanns with me, having looked at these forums prior to moving.

However I found on the Vedder that many stretches were too "rough" for the Drennans, so it'd disapear under the "waves" on fast runs - because it was sensitive.

As a result I changed to the cheapo gibbs "foam tubes" and found them much better in fast water in that they would at least float over the waves/boils rather than going under.

I'd still use Drennans on steady flows, but I find them much less versatile than the foamies.

You guys have lots more experience than me out here but I can't see the attraction myself?

I know they are more sensitive, but that is no use if you float spends half the time of a fast run under water.

Am I missing something?

cheers,

Paul.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 10:53:52 PM »

If your float is spending half of the time under water I suspect you are using too much weight or too light of a float for the water you are fishing.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 10:58:18 PM »

Paul, if your float is doing that, either you have too much weight, or probably more likely, fishing too heavy of water. That kind of water often does not hold fish. You want to look for runs with more gentle water. Rarely do I fish water where the problem you described comes into play because there are usually not many fish sitting there!!  ;) :D

Good luck and welcome to the area!

CG, sweeping...excellent! :)  ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 11:36:32 PM »

Hi both FA and 2.40, thanks for the repiles.

Although I take on board what you are saying about the water conditions, when I fished Ranger Run back in July it was both fast and "choppy"

It held fish, I know because people were pulling them out around me all day! Fish were coming out of the fast water.

I needed losts of weight to get the bait down in the fast water conditions, non of my Drennans could cope, hence I used the floamies.

I think my point here is that I can't see how any 1 type of float is more sensitive than another, unless we look a quite different design.

The reason I think this is that any float (standard design) takes x amount to pull it under, the more weight we add the less it takes to go under.

But if I fish a Drennan with little enough weight to ride the waves, it is no more sensative than using a floam tude that does the same thing, they both need the same amount of weight to pull them under?

Can you see my point?

If fishing steady water with no boils/waves then the most sensitive way of fishing is to have the float only just visible, so a minimal pull will take it under. In this case the Drennans are better suited as they have a tappered top so you can get them down in the water, a floamie with a flat top doesn't supply these options.

But if you wanted a really sensitive setup for steady water we'd be using floats like Drennans with an thin bit on top that would create the tiny bouyancy to enable very sensitive bite indication with next to no resistance to the fish, as long as you spent the time to balance the setup carfully.

what do you think?

cheers,

Paul.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 11:49:16 PM »

I like short floating, cause everytime the float goes down it pretty much a fish every time
Ya but yours doesnt go down to often ;D ;D ;D ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 12:18:33 AM »

If you are using alot of weight to get your lure down, you would also need upgrade your float to a larger size.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 09:26:33 AM »

I like short floating, cause everytime the float goes down it pretty much a fish every time
Ya but yours doesnt go down to often ;D ;D ;D ;D

OuCh... :'(

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 10:57:47 AM »

;D ;D, Well If im correct i have caught more than you this year, lots more ;D, lots lots lots more ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 11:00:38 AM »

;D
weeeeeeeeeow!