Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano Sept 22  (Read 5322 times)

small_fish

• Hi!
Capilano Sept 22
« on: September 22, 2006, 11:27:59 AM »

Me and my dad went out to the rivers mouth today, about 5 guys, put 3 casts in and then deicieded to go up towards the hatchey, When we arrived we realized how low the water was!! I guess the rain absoultly did'nt help, did'nt cast and we came home, Did'nt see any coho or any type of fish. Water level was below 1. Terrible first day
Its my sisters birthday, I'm off to eat a HUGE lunch cya!

Youngin

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano Sept 22
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 11:32:15 AM »

Thanks for the report! and happy birthday to your sister =)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

I was checking the Cap couple of afternoons ago; the deluge we had didn't bring the river up any.

Pat AV

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 01:03:06 PM »

The problem with the Cap is that 90% of the watershed is blocked off by the dam, the dam will have to re-fill to the spilling point in order for the water to rise at all.
All of the naturally regulated rivers will be up and fishing well while the cap is still trying to fill the dam up.......
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 04:44:13 PM »

better luck next time SF and thanks for the report  :)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 04:48:37 PM »

The problem with the Cap is that 90% of the watershed is blocked off by the dam, the dam will have to re-fill to the spilling point in order for the water to rise at all.
All of the naturally regulated rivers will be up and fishing well while the cap is still trying to fill the dam up.......

Why don't you head down to the Indian Reserve and see how many the Indians are snagging? They're not doing well.  ;D I was down there last night and talked to a couple of guys, and they're saying they're not here.   Check out the estuary. There's NOTHING there relative to past years. I mean NOTHING!!!!!!! Nothing jumping. No fish being found. There's a few in the estuary, but not very many. Not very many at all.   :-[

No 'hos being found by the fleet in the chuck either---and there's no fresh fish--if there were fresh ones there, you'd catch 'em 'cuz they still bite contrary to popular belief.  ::)

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Pat AV

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 05:28:33 PM »

Magician, why did you highlight and quote my post when talking about the Natives having trouble snagging? I don't see the correlation between dams holding back water and lack of fish in the ocean? I don't mind being quoted I am just confused as to how are post are related.

Any clarification appreciate, thanks in advance

Pat
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 05:31:45 PM »

Yep, im going to wait for next weekend and check it out

Hook Set

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 10:05:48 PM »

Checked it out today as well, it is very low. I saw about 3 jump so I put in an hour trying to get one but had no luck. Need more rain.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 11:48:58 PM »

thanks for the report guys, yes more rain could help ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 08:05:37 AM »

where did u go young gun?

Hook Set

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 03:22:57 PM »

I was under the highway bridge off Taylor Way or watever its called

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 04:20:46 PM »

im going to the highway pool like weekend..
i think sunday

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 05:20:35 PM »

Magician, why did you highlight and quote my post when talking about the Natives having trouble snagging? I don't see the correlation between dams holding back water and lack of fish in the ocean? I don't mind being quoted I am just confused as to how are post are related.

Any clarification appreciate, thanks in advance

Pat

Your post implies that fishing in the Cap is slow because the river levels hasn't risen as a result of rain (thereby signalling the Coho to enter the River, and move in to the area).  If there was some rain and the fish were stacked up out front in the chuck, in the estuary and along West Vancouver, then I'd see your point about the fish not being able to go up the river. That's usually what happens. When that happens and the fish are there, the Natives are very adept at snagging them in the pool below their shopping cart weirs, and saltwater anglers hook them with regularity.

So, the point of my post is, rain or no rain, let the dam go, or not, there is NO difference as there are NO COHO around to be caught right now--or make their way into the river or higher water makes no difference to "call them in"....and even if 50 BLACK hook nosed jack coho did choose to enter the Cap.. so what? The biggest issue is...the fish are 1---extremely late or 2---NOT COMING for the Capilano River system. If what I suspect is true---the latter will be the eventuality.

How do I know? I know of 1 Coho found by the sports fleet fishing the mouth of the Cap in the last 2 weeks--and it was a wild. For the beach casters, I know of 2 that I witnessed and 1 fool who nearly found a watery grave off the sandbar out front while strip casting.

By the way, I was just talking with 2 guys on the phone and the spring fishing off the Cap mouth in the chuck has only produced 4 springs in the past 3 days.

Anyways....as for spring fishing off the Fraser...now THAT"S a different story!  ;D There's a couple of stinky white springs out there for you guys in the valley coming your way! (I found 'em this morning)

This is bar none, the WORST coho fishery off West Van in YEARS. 
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

fishfinder

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 08:48:54 PM »

I agree it's the worst year at the Cap/West Van I can recall. But what do you expect when we haven't had any rain in 4 months. The coho/chinooks at the mouth probably took off looking for bait, or starved to death.