Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano Sept 22  (Read 5324 times)

Pat AV

Re: Capilano Sept 22
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 12:37:45 PM »

Magician- The point of my post was to explain to small fish why it will take alot of rain to raise the water levels of a dam controlled system.

We will have to wait and see when the dam finally spills if you are right and no coho are coming back to the cap. I would be willing to bet whenever the dam spills a few thousand more coho will come in.

Here's hoping your wrong about there being absolutley no coho...for everyone's sake

Thanks for the clarification
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

glycine

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 01:21:08 PM »

dear
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 01:34:11 PM by glycine »

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 02:32:38 PM »

Yep this is my fish year trying to fish the cap.
If theres no coho, I will be super pissed off!  >:(

Pat AV

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »

Small fish, you seem so dead set on the cap but I am gonna try to convince you to look elsewhere for now. Head out to the Vedder! If transportation is a problem do what I used to do before I was mobile....get mom or dad to drop you off with a tent at the river for a weekend and fish away! I remember many great trips where I would have nothing but my tent and gear, caught tonnes of fish and had lots of fun.

You could set up camp at Allison Pool or Thurston Meadows...........

You also have another option on the North Shore.... the Seymour do some hiking and you can find some good water there are coho and summer steelies in the river as we speak. Seymour ho's are more aggresive than cap ho's and you will actually have a chance of fair hooking one. Seymour ho's are also much bigger than cap ho's with 15lbs here and there. Put on you hiking boots or grab your mountain bike and explore! Cheack the regs for the Seymour it is heavily regulated!

Concentrate on those systems for now the cap will not be rising for a long time but when it does hit it and you will be amazed it is a different river when the dam is spilling and hopefully there are some fish coming to the system!

Hope you try some of these alternatives and have fun learn some new rivers and even hit some fish!

Good luck,

Pat

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 04:46:57 PM »

Thanks and yes transportion is a problem for me, and my parents wont let me stay by my self. But seymour sounds good, is it heavily fished, because I dont know much about it. My dad can take me to the veddar only in the summer when he has time, it sucks i know :(

Pat AV

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 04:59:50 PM »

Small fish the Seymour is not heavily fished. Do an internet search on the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve and come on up to the park, it is your best bet for accessing the Seymour right now. Stop in at the rice lake info center and ask for me, I am a ranger at the park and will help you out if I am on shift!

Hope to see you up here!

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 05:04:21 PM »

O ok, I might try it out, Coho are in there? I did'nt know that i just knew that steelies where in that river.
I might try it out first weekend of octerber, because saturday and sunday this weekend im out at victoria for soccer!
Its a long hike in? and is it good shore fishing, or is it fishing off dangorous cliffs like cable pool.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 09:50:52 AM »

a few years ago, while vehicle-less, i was so desperate to get to the chilliwack for some steelhead fishing that i hopped the skytrain to the nearest greyhound station, rode the hound out to chilliwack and paid another 10.00 in cab fare to get to the crossing bridge (you can take a regular bus instead from the station to the river). I ended up fishing most of that day with some success , stayed in a cheapo motel for the night and did it all again the next day. It just depends how bad you want it hehehehe ;D

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 10:18:43 PM »

Not that desperate lol, but good thinking  ::)
Yeah i guess I was releying to much on the cap for this year and it has completety destroyed my outings, since rain wont be coming for at least another week :(

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 09:27:58 AM »

even if the rain comes and comes heavy you won't see the level of the Cap come up!!! the resevoir is very low and it would take a month of straight rain to fill it at this point, I honestly think it will be November before you see the water rise in the Cap and by that point the coho will be ready to make boots with :)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 06:03:16 PM »

I remember a few years back, the dam didn't open it's gates till late October and most of the fish that made it up to the hatchery were already dark, that totally sucked!

And its not looking much better for the next two weeks.  Only a smattering of rain potentially on that day http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/14day/pages/CABC0205.htm  Lets hope something changes as I do not want a dry fall.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 06:17:27 PM »

Watched the News Hour this evening, and they are forecasting an El Nino type winter - drier and warmer than usual. Hope they are wrong, we need the wet stuff.

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »

I hope they're wrong too, I want to fish and hit the mountains for snowboarding

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 08:04:26 AM »

Hey small fish whats ur first name? I know the cap sucks right now, and it has for the past few years! >:( No water so they don't open the damn! A piece of dynamite might do us well? Just joking ;D We need like 2 weeks of steady rain, then the springs and cohos will be in, right now if u take a boat out past the mouth u see huge schools just under the surface! Did last week! Stupid city damn operatives, let the fish get up the freiken river! Thats all i have to say for now!

Good fishing to yah!
Fish killer 101

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 05:26:56 PM »

Hey small fish whats ur first name? I know the cap sucks right now, and it has for the past few years! >:( No water so they don't open the damn! A piece of dynamite might do us well? Just joking ;D We need like 2 weeks of steady rain, then the springs and cohos will be in, right now if u take a boat out past the mouth u see huge schools just under the surface! Did last week! Stupid city damn operatives, let the fish get up the freiken river! Thats all i have to say for now!

Good fishing to yah!

:o That's rather interesting. Huge schools?  :o Coulda fooled me. Coulda fooled the 15 Charter boats in the chuck out there fishing for 'em on a daily basis--not finding any. Could fooled the guys flyfishing and casting for them at low tide--who aren't finding any. Coulda fooled the Natives who are snagging 25% of normal.

Huge schools? Wow...like I must be blind.  8)

If any of you forum readers believe that report---you probably believe in "Fish of Dreams"--"If you dream of fish, they come". LOL.

Honestly Younggun, can you come on out and show us these huge schools? Better yet, why weren't you hauling 'em in?
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint