Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Socs into Sushi?  (Read 15693 times)

weizen

Fraser Socs into Sushi?
« on: September 13, 2006, 11:36:22 PM »

Has anyone made sushi out of fraser socs?  I'd love to make some of my own sushi, but I'm a bit hesitant.

I know you have to pre-freeze the fish to make it safe, but once you thaw and rinse well, is there anything else I need to do, or just slice it up into my pieces and roll away?

Anyone out there ever done this?  Is it safe?

Any info is appreciated.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: Fraser Socs into Sushi?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 05:54:42 PM »

dude... dont take a chance... if you have ever been sick from sushi you know that its not worth it...

see ya on the river

weizen

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 06:04:37 PM »

Never been sick on Sushi, and don't want to either.  But I really like it and would love to make some.   Just want to make sure I do it safe, but if I can't get some advice from someone that's done it or knows there stuff, i'm not gonna take the chance.

Thanks for the warning though.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 08:06:27 PM »

If you've never made sushi with raw salmon (or any fish for that matter) before, definitely do the research to make sure that you know what you're doing.  A little know how goes a long way to preventing a bad case of food poisoning.  As to can you make sushi with Fraser sockeye?  Why not?  Would I do it personally?  Sure.  I've had sashimi made with Vedder salmon before and it's fine.  Those salmon will also swim through the Fraser to get to the Vedder.  Is it the best tasting salmon?  In all honestly, probably not because of all the effluent and other waste material dumped in the Fraser.  Not that it will make a fish toxic (or it may.  But if you eat cooked sockeye, you're still taking it in so who what's the difference?).  However, independent blind taste research have uncovered that fish caught in the chuck that don't swim in that crap (literally) taste better than those that did.  But realistically, unless you have a side by side comparison and a decent palate, you're not likely to know that this salmon was caught in the Fraser while another in the Chuck.  By the way, the research was done by some scientists in one of the small testing  labs companies where my wife works. Not likely to be published material as these little companies only do lab testing for commercial purposes.
President Club S. C. & P.

weizen

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 10:06:16 PM »

Thanks Merc,

I'll definetly do some more independant research before taking the plunge.   

The Sashimi you had from Vedder Salmon, did you do that yourself, or was it prepared by a friend?

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 12:31:58 AM »

Family. 

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 12:30:52 PM »

i've made sushi with countless sockeye salmon.

fraser caught sockeye, especially chromers (with the occasional sealice) are perfectly fine. these wild fish are not year round residents, unlike the farmed salmon used in most sushi restaurants.

the secret is to inspect your fillets.  look for smoothness and cleanliness of the flesh, consistent colouring and marbling of fat.

do not use fillets with evidence of brucing, welts, cancers, and of course parasites.

do not use salmon that have been sitting in a pool of water and have been baking in the sun.

before consuming any raw salmon, you must quick freeze it for a minimum of 48 hours.  even better...vaccum seal it.  thawout in the refridgerator and do not refreeze.

these instructions, were originally given to me by my neighbour, who happens to be a professional sushi chef, who trained for 5 years in japan....and yes he happens to be japanese.

just remember, proper food handling and prevention of cross contamination will minimize (though NOT eliminate) food poisoning.

weizen

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 12:35:57 PM »

Thanks for the info blaydRnr,

I've done a bunch of reading online and found the following exert from a site about making your own sushi.

"The first rule of selecting fish for sushi is Do not use fresh-water fish, including fresh wild-caught salmon, which may have gone through one or more breeding cycles.

The reason for this is that parasites that fish are exposed to in fresh water are compatible with the human system, whereas those found in salt water are generally not.

Select farmed salmon can be eaten fresh (it's raised entirely in salt water), as can wild-caught salmon that's been treated by deep-freeze -- but your home freezer is not cold enough for this. Whatever you do, do not make sushi out of the salmon that you or your friends have just brought back from a fishing trip. "

I realize I might get away with it, and it might end up being ok, but i'm not going to take the chance.  The Fraser soxs will continue to be cooked!  My Sushi experimenting will have to wait untill I get out in the Chuck!

Thanks all for your thoughts!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 01:37:04 PM »

i think they may be referring to land locked salmon.

i'm not a marine biologist. so i won't dispute that exert. however, i've also read that farmed salmon have a higher concentration of pollutants and parasites. myself, i eat both.

the only true statement that i will confirm, is that most residential fridge freezers are not equipped to flash freeze fish.

weizen

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 02:58:49 PM »

the only true statement that i will confirm, is that most residential fridge freezers are not equipped to flash freeze fish.

That's my biggest concern, is that my freezer doesn't get cold enough to kill all the paresites.  I'm not so worried about the small amount of time the fish spent in the fresh water, but more about the freezer aspect.

Thanks again.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 04:23:22 PM »

Different reports I've read says a home freezer that can freeze your food between 0 degrees to 10 degrees Farenheit (-12 to -17 celsius I believe) for five days will kill all the parasites.  But you have to have a decent freezer that does that.  And home freezers are supposed to be capable of reaching that temperature.   All the fish my family have ever prepared and eaten were all fish that were frozen for many weeks, longer than the 5 days minimum recommended.

weizen

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 07:26:03 PM »

Merc,

Does that mean in my standard deep freeze, if the fish is in for a good couple weeks (already been that long) that it should be fine?

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 08:13:59 PM »

From what I understand, a deep freezer that is operating AS IT SHOULD, will be able to reach the temperature necessary to kill the parasites.  After some 35+ years of eating raw fish and never having had a problem I'm assuming my parents freezer worked just fine.  Most freezers should be operating in that range to properly store frozen food anyways.  Any less than that, and the food won't keep properly as the molecules and microbes won't enter the proper dormant stage to ensure that your food keeps properly.  Also, just as another tip, if you smoke salmon, you might want to prefreeze your salmon first unless your hot smoked salmon reaches an internal temperature of 150-200 degrees farenheit for 4-6 hours.  And if you do ceviche prefreeze your fish first at the prescribed temperature and time as the acid that "cooks" the fish won't kill the parasites.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 08:51:34 PM by MERC »

weizen

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 08:47:07 PM »

Thanks Merc,

35+ years of eating Raw fish and no problem are pretty good odds ;)  I'll ponder this for a while, but If I end up making any i'll let you all know how it ends up.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 03:09:07 AM »

Most new home freezers can go below -18C.  This is a food safety requirement for safe food keeping. At temps below -18C or +100C all parasites are killed.  Parasites have cell membrane at such low temperature the cell wall will rapture killing the perasites and all bacteria.  The only time you'll ever become ill by eating raw fish thats been frozen below -18C is if the fish has not been properly handled before freezing, and virus or toxin producing bacteria has been allowed to grow.  As long as you keep your fish cold after catching and when your home try to minimize fish flesh comes into contact with 'dirty' surfaces and freeze the fillets as quickly as possible you'll be safe.