Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ceviche?  (Read 6722 times)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
Ceviche?
« on: October 04, 2006, 06:25:32 AM »

Anyone ever had this wonderful dish?  Any brave soles out there makeing it with fish you catch? 

Mmmmm, I had a bunch of it in mexico, made of shimp or blue crab (in a fishing town called celestun).  Its basically raw fish, lime, spices, onions, tomatoes left to marinade, and the lime sort of "cooks" the fish.  Possibly one of the best dishes I had while I was there.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Ceviche?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 02:19:03 PM »

Made it while i was down in mexico with the marlin and dorado we caught while down there. It was really good. The key is to cut the fish as small as possible and compleatly cover it with lime juice. I'm considering doing it with some local fish, but i can't figure out what would work best. Since my trip to mexico, i'd have to say limes are now my favorite fruit. I use them in everything.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 11:35:06 PM »

I have made it once, and man that has to be one of my favorite dishes...

There are many ways to do it, but I did mine with shrimp and scallops... Very easy to do, and you should do it 2-3 hours before eating it, or else the lime juice will cook the fish too much. smaller chunks of fish are better, or you need to leave it longer. I don't think salmon would be a good choice, stick with white meat fish... But you can always try it, who knows!

Here are some websites I used as a guideline when trying it:

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/CZAngelsSpace/CevicheRecipes.html

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000225ceviche.php

Just scan those ingredients, and blend the flavours you like, and you'll be happy with the results!

Cheers,
nicole
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 11:36:40 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 11:01:35 AM »

Made it while i was down in mexico with the marlin and dorado we caught while down there. It was really good. The key is to cut the fish as small as possible and compleatly cover it with lime juice. I'm considering doing it with some local fish, but i can't figure out what would work best.

white spring

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 06:28:45 PM »

I had coho salmon ceviche in Chile. It was the best ceviche I had while on a trip in South America

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 11:27:29 PM »

Sorry guys I just found the Shushi thread - I didn't expect it to be one here, so my post is redundant, so please ignore.

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to eat fresh raw fish you catch? Or how to make it good?

I love Sashimi but when I asked at the local restuarant about preparing it I was told it had to be frozen to kill any parasites and then defrosted slowly to maintain the consistency of the meat.

I've taken strips off red springs I caught on the Vedder and ate it right after catching it (thinking I couldn't get anything fresher) and it was not that good, it was quite hard and chewy and with much less flavour than what I get in the Sushi restaurant (I know that is Atlantic Slamon mostly but the flesh consistency it totally different and I am sure this is not down to fish species).

Perhaps you have to leave the meat for a certain amount of time? Or freeze it - but I'm less worried about the parasites (I figure you'd be able to see them) and more how to make the meat a good texture and flavour while still raw.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on this?

I was watching Anthony Boudain eating a similar dish to the Ceviche described here down in Chille and it looked and sounded amazing, and so cheap dwon there!

edit ...sorry hiker I didn't notice you'd had it in Chillie also, how was it down there, it looked like an awesome place to visit, did you generally feel safe while there? I guess that's my only concern about S.America in general, but it obviously vastly different from place to place.

cheers,

Paul.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:44:25 PM by Murkeywaters »

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 11:50:30 AM »

I have been to chile and argentina (some 14 years ago) and I have lots of family in the latter.  Personally, I would think you are safer in Chile than in the US of all mighty A.  For comparison, think about buying gas in Los Angeles.  2 inches of bulletproof glass and pay before you pump...   ???  That must mean its a pretty safe place!   ::)

I will be going there this coming summer for work, a little adventure and hopefully some searun browns... life as a student is really tough sometimes  ;D

J5

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 11:53:32 PM »

Chile was OK safety wise. We didn't feel unsafe at any time, but we were only visiting far South of Chile, Patagonia area. Did some hiking, penguin watching, and feel really sorry didn't do kayaking nor coho fishing. If you are on budget shop around and do not worry about cheap places they are quiet decent for money you pay.
Do not forget to be street smart wherever you go though. Any trip can be safe or dangerous, even trip to a supermarket here in Vancouver :)
If you have more questions just ask. We went to Peru, Bolivia and Chile.