Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Socs into Sushi?  (Read 15950 times)

weizen

Re: Fraser Socs into Sushi?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 09:45:37 AM »

Thanks BwiBwi,

I've actually got a couple small fillets of spring from up in the queen charlotte islands that were vacuum sealed and flash frozen by the guiding company when my uncle was up there and been in a home freezer since then.

I'm gonna use that for my sushi night (Whenever that is...still planning it).

I'll be sure to post some pics and share my experience when I get around to doing it.

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 11:48:24 PM »

Great thread and something I've been thinking about lots.

My question is why is the flesh I get from a fresh spring (literally caught 1 hour before eating)  so hard and chewy, when the stuff in the restaurant is so nice and soft?

Does it need to be left to go through the rigarmortis process before it becomes softer and nicer to eat?

cheers,

Paul.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 05:32:36 PM by Murkeywaters »

Murkeywaters

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 05:31:59 PM »

Or stupid ;D

but it didn't do me any harm, all though knowing what I know now I wouldn't try it again!

weizen

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 11:44:32 PM »

Murkey, you're brave and stupid ;)  (Glad to hear you've learned after reading in this post)

Anyway, I FINALLY DID IT!  Made my family sushi for a Thanksgiving Appy!  No one has gotten sick so enough time has passed to officially declare it a success!

Thanks to all who gave some advice here.  Enjoy the pic!

Oh, and BTW Murkey the stuff I made was nice and soft, tasted great.....not sure why your fresh stuff was hard ect, but probably the freezing/thawing proccess has something to do with it...just a guess though, anyone out there know a real answer to Murkeywaters question?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 11:46:43 PM by weizen »

Murkeywaters

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 12:07:02 AM »

Wow Weizen that looks great, my mouth is watering!

I have a feeling you are right about the freeze thaw process changing the texture of the meat, many foods change conistancy after being frozen so why not fish.

If your stuff was good I figure I'll pull a recent fillet out of the freezer and have a go myself.

I really crave the raw fish at times, I don't know what it is but it's like a strong craving for the whole deal, fish, rice and soya source. Once I eat it it'll leave me for a week or so then suddenly it comes on strong and I just have to have it.

I'll let you know if it works for me, assuming I'm around to tell the tale :D

cheers,

Paul.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 05:04:55 PM »

That's some very nice lookin sushi! :D

Murkeywaters

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 12:12:24 AM »

Well thanks Weizen,

it worked a treat, that previously hard and chewy flesh (when fresh) was exactly as I get in the Sushi restaurant having pulled it from the freezer and slowly defrosted it.

I didn't have the ingredients to do Sushi properly this evening, so I just had a quick Sashimi fest from the 1 fillet and it was wonderful!

I had no wasabi, ginger or rice, but I found a bit of tabasco and lemon (and of course Soy Sauce) made a great alternative.

I did wash the flesh a lot to remove the "fishy" scent and what I would assume to be an accompanying flavour, but that was because it was frozen with other fillets so the fishy smell from the outside gets around - but easily removed.

While I am still a little nervous about it being from fresh water rather than the sea or "chuck" as you guys call it, the flesh was clean looked just prefect so I figured it was OK. Although from fresh water the fish was clean when I caught it so I can't see that any parasite would have had chance to get into the flesh. But if someone knows different please post,

but I'm sure it is fine and I'll be enjoying much more of this on a regular basis without paying restaurtant prices, although I'll still be going back for the Tuna from time to time!

what a great find,

cheers,

Paul.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 01:19:19 AM by Murkeywaters »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 12:17:48 AM »

Some people will slice a thing layer off the fillet.  To remove those 'fishy' smell.

Murkeywaters

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 01:16:09 AM »

Yes Bwi I hear what you are saying,

I went through 3 fillet peices in the end tonight (I was having fun playing with it and eating it along the way) and I quickly realised that any fat or brown meat gave the stuff that horrible fishy flavour that Salmon smell like, despite being washed.

As long as the flesh was pure red it tasted good (no need to wash if the board and knife were kept clean to avoid x-contamintion so to speak), I ate 1 fillet as Sashimi and prep'ed the other 2 for tomorrow.

I also found the semi frozen flesh much easier to skin and cut, leaving the resulting semi-forzen meat to defrost naturally. The fully de-frosted was slippy and difficult to handle even with a very sharp knife.

I've taken some good pics to show but it's getting late so I'll link 'em up tomorrow.

cheers,

Paul.

weizen

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 09:32:15 AM »

Murkey,

Great to hear your stories...looking forward to the pics.  I'm glad I experimented with it and i've got alot of good info from starting this post.  I'm more relaxed now and will be more likely to use my sockeye as you've done.  The stuff I used was a spring from the chuck, but the next time will be sockeye for sure :)

Cheers

Murkeywaters

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 11:15:56 PM »

Weizen it is was a clean Vedder Spring I used (frozen within a few hours of capture), not Sockeye - just so you know.

anyway I'll try and post some pics now, Ok I know it's only fish flesh at the end of the day - but I think it looks good!

http://www.anglingwriters.com/images/sushi1.jpg
http://www.anglingwriters.com/images/sushi2.jpg
http://www.anglingwriters.com/images/More_To_Come.jpg

I've been eating the stuff all day, god I love it! I think I actually prefer a little tabasco in with the Soy over Wasabi now I've tried it. Although I must get some ginger to cleanse the palette along the way.

And I'm feeling just fine and dandy,

cheers,

Paul.

Edit - how would I make those links bring the photo directly into the post? I tried [img width= height=]http://blahblah[/img] but didn't take the img tags as HTML and just put it in a text? Still you can see by clicking the links anyway so it's not that important, I was just curious.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:19:52 PM by Murkeywaters »

weizen

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 11:19:58 PM »

Mmmmmmm those look good :)

Good job ;)

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2006, 07:56:50 PM »

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 12:52:22 AM »

^ NOPE,I JUST TAKE MY TIME, AND I LOVE A NICE FINISHED PRODUCT ! ESPECIALLY BBQ SALMON, OR MY INDIAN CANDY ;)

fishing magician

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2006, 04:55:29 PM »

i love sushi..im hoping to turn my fraser socs into sushi too ;D