Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Worms  (Read 5742 times)

Robbie

Sockeye Worms
« on: August 29, 2006, 03:14:22 PM »

I was loading up the smoker this morning with a Sock from yesterday when I noticed that there were a couple of little whippy worms in the flesh.  They were really tiny, maybe a half inch long stretched out and less than a millimeter thick.  They were half buried in the flesh.  Now this wouldnt be a big concern for barbecuing because they should be cooked hot and long enough, but with my little chief smoker I remember reading that it only cooks to an internal temperature of 165 degrees celcius.  I dont know if thast would kill parasites.  Anybody know or experienced a similar circumstance?  Check your fish carefully and see what you find.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Sockeye Worms
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 04:24:52 PM »

ALWAYS freeze solid before thawing to smoke.

Robbie

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 05:23:12 PM »

Good tip.  Thanks.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 05:25:37 PM »

Don't worry, they will grow just fine inside you. ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 09:04:39 PM »

Ive seen them in rockfish, something about warm water and those worms I remember reading. But Sockeye with worms in the flesh is like creeping me out. Guess i'll have to cook them now, no more sushi. :'(  Man i got an itchen back end after that.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

weizen

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:55:38 PM »

Once you've thawed the fish to smoke it, is it still safe to re-freeze the smoked fish?  Just considering smoking a big batch, but don't want to have the family scoff it down in the same day!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 10:35:35 PM »

Once you've thawed the fish to smoke it, is it still safe to re-freeze the smoked fish?  Just considering smoking a big batch, but don't want to have the family scoff it down in the same day!

Yup.

weizen

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 07:55:46 AM »

Yup.

Thanks!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 09:33:47 AM »

the only thing re-freezing will do is make it taste worse if you do it over and over.  Theres nothing safer than extreme temps on either end to kill nasties.

gofishing

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 11:25:41 AM »

Freezing smoked fish will probably take away some of the smoke flavour ......... if you don't want that to happen buy yourself a vacumn sealer ....... once done properly the smoked fish will keep 6 months of more in the fridge and taste almost the same as the day you took it out of the smoker. 

GOFISH   ;)
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. - Koos Brandt

It's alright to drink like a fish - if you drink what a fish drinks. - Mary Pettibone Poole

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 11:42:17 AM »

I find that the flavour actually improves after it has been vaccum packed and frozen.  My last batch tasted rather dry  straight out of the smoker but after it was vaccum packed and frozen the end product was nice and moist.  I always freeze mine before smoking but was thinking of doing some fresh until I saw this thread.  Wouldn't freezing it after smoking be enough to kill the parasites? 

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 11:46:52 AM »

Wouldn't freezing it after smoking be enough to kill the parasites? 

Sure, but you try to keep yourself from eating that fresh smoked fish BEFORE freezing it and then thawing  ;D

gofishing

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 11:50:57 AM »

If it's vacumn sealed you don't need to put it in the freezer ...... by putting it in the fridge you don't have to thaw it out when you get the urge.  When you put it in the fridge it gets a little moist also ..... if you like that.   Actually I prefer my smoked fish on the dry side ....... what better reason do you need then to crack open a Carona.  ????

GOFISH  
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. - Koos Brandt

It's alright to drink like a fish - if you drink what a fish drinks. - Mary Pettibone Poole

wagz

• Can"t get enough!!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 03:47:14 PM »

Feezing the fish before smoking allows the cells to absorb more brine and flavour.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 08:56:24 AM »

Pardon my ignorance but doesn't brining usually take care of any "nasties"
Actions speak louder than words.