Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why Can I Not Catch Them, The Journal For March 17  (Read 2957 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Why Can I Not Catch Them, The Journal For March 17
« on: March 17, 2006, 12:40:24 PM »

As usual a warm welcome to all to The Journal on FWR your top information fishing site on the net. As we near the end of another work week for some and as I type this I imagine several of you will be thinking of wetting a line somewhere over the weekend. ;D

Spring is definitely in the air now as many species of bird life are pairing up, waiting for the leaves to burst forth so nest building and raising a family can begin. The geese I believe have started laying already although I have not spotted a nest yet on one of the Vedder River gravel bars. Once the female starts sitting and the gander sands by on sentry duty one will see them. Do not get to close or you will be attacked by a unhappy husband. I was once and I held him off with my fishing pole. I got some great pictures of the chap trying to take my head off, must find those shots.

I got my usual early start but with a number of items are behind me now, more time to relax although once again many e-mails to deal each morning regarding the gravel excavation on Ferry Island. I found out last night from "The Master" there was a total of 5 sites this year on the Fraser. It still hurts me that so many future salmon were lost due to negligence by some. It is all the more madding that some try to blame it on dropping river levels. How stupid do they think we are as we have so much proof by so many they will make themselves look worse as time goes on. Why not admit they made a mistake and live with it, stop the spin doctoring.

I start my day at the diving board, lovely looking water and I have it to myself for a while but my Maple Leaf Drennan stays dry. 4 others come to the run so I decide to cross the tail out, besides some floats have showed their colored tops to me and I can not resist going after a float. ;D Besides one of them could be a drennan waiting to be adopted into the Maple Leaf world.

As I gain the other side I disturb a pair of mergansers who are darting madly among some submerged logs gobbling down migrating pink fry I am sure. The merganser's quarry trying to save themselves are madly trying to duck under the woody debris. I shout at the pair who have now been joined by a goldeneye as the trio takes flight in a hurry as they head for another hunting ground. I know it is a part of nature and they have to eat too.

As I am getting desperate for a steelhead as it is over two weeks since I have had the pleasure of having one on for more than a few seconds. I decide to head to the Lickman Road holding run. I hear they are pulling them out by the dozens each day with reports of a number being lined but I know others will be getting them to bite also as with that many in the run there will be some that will be hungry guys.

I sneak into the bush side and there is plenty of room but I count 30 on the beach. I imagine there was others that had gone home with a fish as it is nearing 8:30 when I arrive. I am pleased to see birdman displaying a very nice fish, he takes it to the shore to clean it off, making sure I see it. ;D ;D Congratulations birdman, I am sure you got it on the bugs I believe you were talking about. I was going to cast to your side to see if you could put one on my hook. ;D

I see about 4 or 5 hooked during the time I was in the area, about a hour. One that was caught on my side was hooked under the chin and one on the other side of the river I could see was hooked in some part of the body other than the mouth. A good number of the anglers were long lining floats, on there side etc.. Of course steelhead will attack your offering this way but with the way they appear to be stacked in this run you increase your chance of foul hooking a fish.

I work the run with shrimp and fresh steelhead bait "The Master" had given me. It is with the perfectly cured roe the Maple Leaf drennan goes for a nice plunge towards the bottom, I am ready for a change and are right on the fish but my heart sinks as I feel no weight at the end of my line.I am not given a second chance as the fish seemed to have learned its lesson. I move around a bit find a float or two, snap a picture from a far of birdman with his well earned iron. Rodney can post if it turns out OK.

Hunger pains begin to set in so I back track to the Leaf Mobile to fuel up. I decide to go cheap today and head to McDonalds. I thought I might go back out after my late breakfast but after I have tucked away the McMuffins, two cups of coffee and a blueberry muffin I feel the need for a nap so here I am nearly asleep at the keyboard. Some chores after 60 winks and maybe back out for another attempt at a steelhead. I am startin to feel like the Canucks mired in their 5 game losing streak. I then plan to meet George. We are going to measure the water levels at the gravel site once again.Then we start producing a video of the death and distruction of our precious salmon stocks caused by the causeway that acted as a dam of a Fraser River channel.

Nap time and by the way I plan on dreaming of catching another steelhead ------ before the season ends, maybe. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 12:18:31 AM by Rodney »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Why Can I Not Catch Them, The Journal For March 17
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:09:25 PM »

I see the Maple Leaf drennan is going the way of the Make Beliefs. Can't score and can't win ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 02:05:06 PM »

Very nice fish and well done. How much did it weigh? I have sent you the picture of the beauty.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 02:17:46 PM »

I see the Maple Leaf drennan is going the way of the Make Beliefs. Can't score and can't win ;D ;D
I Just remember what the problem is, I have been so busy with this gravel issue I have forgotton to put the Maple Leaf Logo on. It is going on now and things will change in a hurry. ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 03:17:11 PM »

Nice fish Birdman

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 03:35:08 PM »

Nice Fish  ;)
Actions speak louder than words.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 03:45:08 PM »

Nice pictures birdman,way to go ;)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 05:25:38 PM »

nice looking fish... thats the only place I have heard they are being caught in the last while.... too bad they can't get past the trap!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 06:58:36 PM »

great fish bird..damn son, you eating anything? i was wondering if your dad made you wear those waders so you wouldn't blow away out there..  :D ;)

I was on the mighty frazer today cutthroat hunting, i drove over the Vedder chanel and it literally had almost no water in it...was blown away by that...hate to say it but we need a good dumping asap.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 07:12:04 PM »

Nice fish daywalker!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 07:28:41 PM »

Great job Bird, awesome fish!!! ;D ;D Impressive, very impressive!! ;D
Don't worry Chris, I'm sure the MLD with work for you again one day!!!!!  Like maybe when the Laughs make the playoffs!! ;D ;D  Sorry I couldn't resist!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 08:04:38 PM »

its ok chris, most people in that hole today were flossing, i didnt hook nothing but BM got lucky and got his, and he wasn't modest about parading it up and down the beach :D but its ok cuz i hooked up later, winding in after a hit i missed, it struck twice and i set the hook! just like bass fishing ;D but i lost it after 4ft jumps in the air, but it was a good day despite the snaggers out there.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 09:22:24 PM »

Thats good you got into one, did your dad fish? Were you in the same spot as we left you? I don't get many steelhead so when I do I'm gonna brag about it ;D
Nothing wrong with that. ;D

fishfryer

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 11:02:27 PM »

Call me simple, but if this is the only place that fish are being caught, and there's so much snagging going on, and there have been CO's on the river, where are they now?????

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 01:33:56 AM »

Nice fish Birdman. :) Didn't I tell you to go there last night in the chatroom? ;D

Late this morning I opened up my inbox and in came Gadsden's message. A big message too, with attachments. :) This usually means one of the two things:

• Photos to go with the fishing journal.
  • More secret document on the latest fishery crisis.

The message body read "For the journal". I scrolled down, and saw Birdman proudly holding up his fish. ;D Fishersak and I had planned to head out for an afternoon if the weather seemed reasonable (yep, we're fair weather anglers). After conversing on the phone, we finally convinced each other that we should spend an afternoon on the Vedder, since he is on spring break and I work whenever I feel like. ;D

Before I left though, I wanted to put up Chris' photos once he finished his journal. I sat and watched the forum...

"Chris Gadsden, posting a new topic in Fishing Reports"

30 minutes later...

"Chris Gadsden, doing a spell check"

Ok... perfectionist, I'll get my gear ready first. I packed the car, came back to the screen, refreshed.

"Chris Gadsden, doing a spell check"

???

At 12:30pm, I decided that it was time to go. :P Leaving the spell checker behind, I hurried to Fishersak's house.

Thanks for driving Fishersak, for once I could enjoy the scenary along Hwy 1. ;D The drive was rather smooth too, unlike itosh's roller coaster ride along the Sea to Sky Hwy, which usually leaves me sweaty palms by the end. ::)

Just after Abbotsford, we drove by a flipped car from the West bound traffic. A mother and two kids were comforted by others while the police directed the traffic. A scary reminder to slow down and keep that distance between cars. :-\

Just before we arrived at the river, Chris phoned and asked if I received his messages and where the photos were. :o I explained that he needs to speed up his spell check time in the future. ;D He let me know that he missed a fish at a particular spot and we should head in there to catch it for him. ;D We agreed as I had already decided to fish another run that was not too far away from where he missed the fish.

The fishing part of the day was rather uneventful, again. ::) The water remained low but the clarity is better than earlier this week, not as clear but just perfect. We tried several runs with no success and decided to check out the run where Birdman and Chris were scouting around.

For some reason this run seems to be rather popular. ;D Nice water, but not that much nicer than others where we usually fish. That's ok, more people doesn't necessarily mean more fish, it usually just means the fish are more spooked and harder to catch. ;) We worked around the area just above the run etc, not much happening. We then fished the spot where Chris had missed his fish. After numerous casts, one fish decided to get comfortable and rolled right in front of us. ::)

Off to other runs after thirty minutes. Just before sundown, we spotted another fish that rolled twice at a tailout. Still no connection. :-\

The highlight of the day/evening was the dinner at Ricky's with Chris, Buckeye and others. :) The topic at the dinner table was of course, the gravel operation on the Fraser. Chris can fill in some more later, time to get some sleep, as pulling those invisible fish today made my arms so sore.... ::)