Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297759 times)

bbwong

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2013, 09:48:23 AM »

Got skunked on the Fraser around New West on Saturday so my wife and I decided to go to Sunshine Coast Sunday and give Gibsons a try for Pinks. We caught 4 in about 1 hour and lost about 20 together. My wife caught her first salmon! Tons of fish showing there. We would have liked to fish longer but we needed to catch the ferry back. A guy in a small dingy about 30 meters from shore caught about 8 in the 1.5 hours we were there. Just as a heads up to anyone wanting to try a different area for pinks until the Fraser really heats up.

I may took your spot at Sapperton Landing Park at New West on Sunday. I caught my limit and lost 3 within 3 hours when the tide coming.  ;D ;D ;D

FishingKing

« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »

10 lb Doe!  ;D Lost afew others.

aaron600

« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »

Damn that things huge!!!!!

bravo252

« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2013, 03:08:25 PM »

I may took your spot at Sapperton Landing Park at New West on Sunday. I caught my limit and lost 3 within 3 hours when the tide coming.  ;D ;D ;D

What time was that about?? I was there all afternoon yesterday too.
However,  I didn't see any action at all..........

tlatmdeh

« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2013, 03:44:10 PM »

Currently at dyke rd, been here for about 2hrs. No one near me caught anything, including myself

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »

Haney public dock in Maple Ridge had been crowded all weekend, with very very little action if any.

Fair warning to anyone who was thinking of heading down for a few casts: it's not quite shoulder to shoulder down there, but close.

Lots of boats hanging around the mouth of Kanaka Creek - similar reports from there: not too much action going on yet this far up the Fraser. They're moving through the system, but you can watch a patch of water here for 3 hours and not see a single jumper, even on the right tide.

Mayor McSkunk

« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2013, 04:59:06 PM »

There were a few being caught at the Mission bridge today, first I've seen there this weekend. 

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2013, 05:09:44 PM »

Two-Bit area from 3-4:30.  No sign of life from anyone on the shore or the boats.  Spoke with one dude that was there all day, hadn't seen a thing either.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

ejeffrey

« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2013, 05:16:46 PM »

I was at No. 5 Rd. from noon to 5:00. My buddy caught 1 doe that was hooked under the jaw - it was released. I landed a small jack coho - also released. Other than that I only saw two other people hooked up. It was very busy. There were way fewer fish showing than the last 2 days. Some small schools went by around 2:30, but that was it. It was dead out there!

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »

I was at No. 5 Rd. from noon to 5:00. My buddy caught 1 doe that was hooked under the jaw - it was released. I landed a small jack coho - also released. Other than that I only saw two other people hooked up. It was very busy. There were way fewer fish showing than the last 2 days. Some small schools went by around 2:30, but that was it. It was dead out there!

I was the fellow fishing beside you. Tried a few other spots around the area with similar results.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2013, 06:12:18 PM »

Sounds like the run is over!!! ;D

Zackattack

« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »

same deal, fished the southarm from noon-6.
the only large school I saw pass by was wayyy before high tide. likely as the tide was changing and starting to push in.
no strikes to my gibbs hammered croc, and just as school was leaving switched to cheapo pink spoon and fish on... then off.
that was it for 6 hours, will switch gear quicker during a school if getting no action cuz today I learned that schools can be far and few between. especially during early season. everyone else near me had similar results.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »

Ill say this Rodney, with the lack of action the past couple days, Im really glad I picked up a cheapo 25 dollar spin rod! I have my 7 weight for when fish are actually here in numbers, which Im excited about, but 5-6 hours of straight casting with NOTHING would kill Fly Fishing for me.

Also I loaded my little spin reel with 10lb Suffix 832 braid, this stuff is AMAZING! I didnt put any backing on the reel (tape, mono, etc) so I may have to reline it, but this stuff CASTS FOR EVER! Its so thin, I honestly cant ever see going back to mono (for those once every 2 year occurances I fish gear  ;D )
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2013, 07:58:54 PM »

out their 1 till 6 and same, it was slow. only managed 2 to the boat between 3 of us. prob about 4 missed strikes. clarity was much improved.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2013, 08:01:03 PM »

amazing evening to be on the water though, calm as could be and no wind.