Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information  (Read 21315 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

It is that time of the year again! 2011's spring is approaching and rainbow trout fishing in lakes across the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley will begin next week (March 9th and 10th). The Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery, operated by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, is responsible for stockings of these fish between March and June, September and November, so fishing is expected to be excellent during these months. These angling opportunities are fantastic for families, youth and entry-level anglers due to high catch success rate.

We will once again be providing regular stocking reports to keep you updated so you can plan your next weekend fishing trip better. Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley lake stocking reports will be available in this thread as well as on this page. You can also find archived reports of catchable rainbow trout stockings across BC in this section of the website.

WHERE TO FISH?

Here are some of the lakes in Region Two that are stocked with rainbow trout.

ADDITIONAL READINGS

It's Trout Season in Vancouver!
Rainbow trout fishing in the Lower Mainland can be excellent between March and June.

Bait Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
The most basic method used when fishing for stocked rainbow trout is bait fishing.

Lure Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
Lure fishing is another effective fishing method in urban lakes. It is preferred by anglers who want to be active.

Good Fishing at Lower Mainland Lakes
A trip to Alice and Edith Lakes shows how good the trout fishing can be around the Lower Mainland.

A Convenient Alternative
Put and take lakes are a good alternative when fishing is slow else where.

“Fishing in the City” Launched
Fishing in the City is a new urban fishing program launched by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.

REGULATIONS

Before heading out, please be aware of the followings:

• You must have a valid BC freshwater angling license.
  • You are permitted to keep four trout in Region 2 lakes, unless stated otherwise in lake-specific regulations.
  • If fishing from shore, only ONE fishing rod/line is permitted for each angler.
  • If fishing alone in a boat, an angler is allowed to use TWO fishing rods/lines.
  • Only ONE hook is allowed on each fishing line.
  • There are exceptions/specific regulations for some lakes (such as catch and release only, requirement of barbless hook, boating restrictions), please see the table in Region Two's regulations where each lake is listed for exceptions.
  • If you witness a violation, please phone 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) and report it.

CONTACT

For stocking plans, please contact the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery at (604) 504-4716.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2011 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »

MARCH 9TH 2011'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Lake name            Number of fish    Average weight (grams)     Water temperature (C)
Lafarge2,397213.07.5

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »

fish this fly and it will get you fish. these pellet feeders arent selective  ::)

size 14 scud hook (i use Tiemco 2499SPBL)
size 3/32 Copper bead
RED tying thread
X small red wire
Black flashabou for black body material
Brushable Loctite or Superglue for making it almost indestructible

tye in your thread and wind it all the way until half way around the bend of the hook bring it back up about 1/8th inch and anchor in your red wire along the hook shank right to the bead, run your tying thread all the way to the bead, tye in about 2-4 strands of flashabou, wrap this all the way to where the wire is tied in and back up to the bead and tie down (cut access off) wrap your wire up creating about 6/7 ribs, tie down and cut access. whip finish and then coat with brushable Loctite or brushable Superglue

I use this pattern everytime i fish local lakes and it never fails. It will even get a few fish in August when noone is catching. I wont however tell you the depth i find it works best at, this is for you to learn but it shouldnt take long im sure.

this fly also work in a size 12 with a 7/64 bead and 4-6 strands of flashabou. I also do a green one that these local fish love but i only share that with people i fish with (sorry) both these flies work well in the interior as well.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 03:31:10 PM »

MARCH 11TH 2011'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Lake name            Number of fish    Average weight (grams)     Water temperature (C)
Mill1,200210.07.0
Green Timbers1,200210.06.0

fishman254

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »

I hit Lafarge sunday and that pattern i listed hammered em like mad once i found where they were all hiding. had 28 to hand, lost half that and missed more hits than you could believe  ;D good day after 3 months of no steelhead to the beach on the fly  :'(

Oh, and all this happened in less than 2 hours, no lie

HOOK is not that far off from some of the action I saw there, on Sunday. When you'd be on the rising fish it was a strike maybe every 4th cast or so.  Water was around 6 degrees, so I was surprised it could be that good. Best spot from shore (I was in a boat) was near the SE outlet of the lake. 3.5' deep was the ticket. Light biters. So many rises (at times) that I tried a dry fly even...but no luck with that.

fishman254

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 05:26:15 PM »

fish this fly and it will get you fish. these pellet feeders arent selective  ::)

size 14 scud hook (i use Tiemco 2499SPBL)
size 3/32 Copper bead
RED tying thread
X small red wire
Black flashabou for black body material
Brushable Loctite or Superglue for making it almost indestructible

tye in your thread and wind it all the way until half way around the bend of the hook bring it back up about 1/8th inch and anchor in your red wire along the hook shank right to the bead, run your tying thread all the way to the bead, tye in about 2-4 strands of flashabou, wrap this all the way to where the wire is tied in and back up to the bead and tie down (cut access off) wrap your wire up creating about 6/7 ribs, tie down and cut access. whip finish and then coat with brushable Loctite or brushable Superglue

I use this pattern everytime i fish local lakes and it never fails. It will even get a few fish in August when noone is catching. I wont however tell you the depth i find it works best at, this is for you to learn but it shouldnt take long im sure.

this fly also work in a size 12 with a 7/64 bead and 4-6 strands of flashabou. I also do a green one that these local fish love but i only share that with people i fish with (sorry) both these flies work well in the interior as well.

The aptly named "HOOK" seems to know his stuff...that exact color pattern is Brian Chan's (I was reviewing a video of his recently) #1 color pattern (out of hundreds, arguably), for the #1 food for interior trout (chronies.) I had NONE in my fly box when I glanced at it the other day. That's like a tennis pro showing up at Wimbledon with a ping-pong paddle.

gcal

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:17:51 PM »

No problem.  It's just that I don't tie flies so the description is a bit lost on me.

I did google "Brian Chan's Black Sally".  So your fly looks very similar to it?

Thanks.

I would have to take a picture of my pattern to post but i shouldnt have to because i laid out the exact instructions on how to tie it exactly the same as i do right down to the amount of flashabou strands to use per hook size  ::)

why in the world did this thread turn into a pissing contest ??

Is there lots of people there -- yes at times
Could i fish for steelhead instead -- yes i could but after 3 months of nothing on the fly its nice to have some action
Did anyone say this lake was the cats a** -- i dont think we did, just that we caught good numbers of fish there is all. I can catch just as many at Green Timbers and have before.

and the pattern you referred to is Brian Chan's Black Sally which is not the same as the fly i outlined here. while it is the same color scheme its tied with a red flashabou rib not wire and is designed for coloured water lakes. I know becuase i use them alot in the interior. He does also use patterns the same as i have here of course but its not the one that he is known for. Black/red ribbed chironie is designed to resemble a bloodworm before it ascends as a chironie pupa, fished near the bottom this pattenr can be deadly in the interior. here locally i hardly ever fish it lower than 4feet because freshly stocked trout always look up for their food  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »

MARCH 15TH 2011'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Sasamat1,200210.05.0
Como1,200210.07.0

MARCH 17TH 2011'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Buntzen2,256210.05.0

Next week's planned stockings include Rice, Elbow, Errock and Schkam Lakes.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »

Nice to chat with some of you on Tuesday at Rice Lake. Steve and Dean from the hatchery released 2,300 rainbow trout at catchable size while I filmed them. :) The bite was on pretty soon after they were released. ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »

MARCH 22ND 2011'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Rice2,295222.05.0

MARCH 25TH 2011'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Elbow400222.05.0
errock400222.08.0
Schkam1,400222.05.0

This week's stockings include Deer Lake and Whonnock Lake.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »

MARCH 31ST 2011'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Whonnock780222.09.0
Deer1,600222.012.0

Next week's stockings include: Como Lake, Mike Lake, Sasamat Lake, Buntzen Lake, Lafarge Lake. :)

azafai

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 10:06:23 AM »

Hi
the link to Deer Lake is not working in above post.
What Deer lake is that?
Thanks.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/deer_lake1.html

pretty sure this one...I think the geese and duck poop warms the water up faster then other stocked lakes. 12C

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »

Hi
the link to Deer Lake is not working in above post.
What Deer lake is that?
Thanks.
the one in burnaby...if you hope to catch fish to take home I would suggest not to fish at deer lake lol. It's a dirty dirty pond

jimmywits

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »

MARCH 31ST 2011'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Whonnock780222.09.0
Deer1,600222.012.0

Next week's stockings include: Como Lake, Mike Lake, Sasamat Lake, Buntzen Lake, Lafarge Lake. :)

Hey Rodney,
Any updates, got tomorrow off, thanks kindly

Y