Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquaculture  (Read 68200 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Aquaculture
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2013, 11:11:44 PM »

Alex's response to above.

Ah Mary Ellen, you are sounding increasingly shrill, and a titch nasty. But what is really revealing is that your desperate attempt to set the stage for ISA virus being confirmed in BC without your industry being implicated.

"All the worl...d’s oceans are connected, so it makes sense that viruses that have been found in other areas might eventually be found in B.C. "

Hmm really? This time you really are going to need some data .... so head for the north coast of Canada and start fishing and see if you can find ISA virus in anything there.... And when you find it, publish a paper and we can go from there.

Or option two, come clean and drag your industry into responsible behaviour and get out of the ocean. We all know at this point that there is no way to run salmon feedlots in net pens without massive pathogen production.

Hey Chris perhaps you can ask Ms Morton about her knowledge of Molly Kibenge's supposedly positive samples from SE Alaska in 2002 or 2003?

Why is Ms Morton not taking the advice of her vet - Dr. Kibenge?

Currently, testing for ISAv is done using RT-PCR, an internationally recognized and highly sensitive test that screens tissue samples to see if viral genetic material — or viral sequences — indicative of a particular virus is present. Each virus has a unique genetic sequence, and the test determines whether that sequence is present in a sample.

“It is important to note that the presence of ISAv sequences in tissue samples does not necessarily mean that the actual disease, ISA, is present in the subject fish or that ISA is present in the area where the fish were collected,” said Dr. Kibenge. “Viral material can be present in animals without them actually having the associated disease. In order to confirm whether an infectious viral disease is present, further testing is required.”

The OIE definition (confirmation) of ISAv infection requires that the virus be successfully grown in cell culture. Thus, the PCR test should be viewed as a highly sensitive screening test that, if positive, is only the first diagnostic step in documenting an ISAv infection, should one exist.

http://avc.upei.ca/dr-fred-kibenge-invited-testify-bc-salmon-inquiry

Why is Ms Morton not saying everything about Dr. Miller's, Dr. Nylund's or even Dr. Kibenge's findings regarding ISAv and ISA?

http://www.seafoodsource.com/newsarticledetail.aspx?id=12816
http://msc.khamiahosting.com/sites/default/files/2011.11.03%20Interview%20with%20prof%20Are%20Nylund%20UiB.pdf
http://www.cahs-bc.ca/sites/default/files/Miller_GenomicSignatures_Jan2011-V2.pdf
http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/pdf/FinalReport/CohenCommissionFinalReport_Vol02_04.pdf#zoom=100
http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/pdf/FinalReport/CohenCommissionFinalReport_Vol02_05.pdf#zoom=100

While we are on the subject on producing data, perhaps Ms Morton can produce her own virus surveillance report (methods, chain of custody, sample size, sampling areas, results, conclusions, etc.), similar to the CFIA and the WDFW, which proves her own theories on ISAv and ISA.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2013, 08:16:26 AM »

Just curious Steve that you and the rest of the feedlot crew ran away from the thread about the stuff under the net pens. No courage to your convictions? ;)
http://

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2013, 09:11:23 AM »

They're busy googling the feedlot propaganda sites looking for "science" that shows the crap under the net pens is actually good for the environment.....   ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »

Just curious Steve that you and the rest of the feedlot crew ran away from the thread about the stuff under the net pens. No courage to your convictions? ;)

Actually it is more like not a lot of patience with fear mongerers and more time needed for fishing and family life.  I have lots of courage for my convictions as you seen already on this thread.  Perhaps you can comment on Ms Morton's behalf?  I noticed how the fear mongerers on this forum have deflected quite nicely from this.  Perhaps you can comment on supposedly positive samples in SE Alaska?  Perhaps you can show me where Dr. Kibenge or Dr. Nylund were mistaken for what they said or how Dr. Miller really didn't say all what she did about ISAv and ISA?  Maybe you know the whereabouts of Morton's virus surveillance report - the one that shows ISA is present in our waters?  I am interested in those "Mythbusters" you promised to unleash on me.

As for benthic impacts they have been discussed extensively already.  A video is tossed out like a bone with a little meat on it and some of you guys pounce on it like a bunch of flies.  Showing a bunch of YouTube videos is one thing, but actually having some sort of understanding on what is actually done is another.  However, it will never be enough for those already drunk on Morton Kool-Aid, so that is why some of us are apathetic towards contributing much to it.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2013, 10:19:15 PM »

.............. A video is tossed out like a bone with a little meat on it and some of you guys pounce on it like a bunch of flies................

This might be a more apt analogy

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2013, 10:16:23 PM »

I now eagerly await your response, Novabonker.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »

..and another one drops to the jungle floor..........

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »

..and another one drops to the jungle floor..........

You're starting to make as much sense as Fisherbob.....   sounding more and more like him as well.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-205547/Salmon-health-alert.html
"But Dr Jeffery Foran, an American toxicologist involved in the study, said neither he nor his family would eat farmed salmon again after what he discovered."
 Its Alaska farmed salmon season. Throw Dons name in it and I have to ask, did the same foundations fund this study that funded Mortons debunked studies?
Media at its best and another one drops to the jungle floor. :)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:32:41 PM by Fisherbob »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »

Actually it is more like not a lot of patience with fear mongerers and more time needed for fishing and family life.  I have lots of courage for my convictions as you seen already on this thread.  Perhaps you can comment on Ms Morton's behalf?  I noticed how the fear mongerers on this forum have deflected quite nicely from this.  Perhaps you can comment on supposedly positive samples in SE Alaska?  Perhaps you can show me where Dr. Kibenge or Dr. Nylund were mistaken for what they said or how Dr. Miller really didn't say all what she did about ISAv and ISA?  Maybe you know the whereabouts of Morton's virus surveillance report - the one that shows ISA is present in our waters?  I am interested in those "Mythbusters" you promised to unleash on me.

As for benthic impacts they have been discussed extensively already.  A video is tossed out like a bone with a little meat on it and some of you guys pounce on it like a bunch of flies.  Showing a bunch of YouTube videos is one thing, but actually having some sort of understanding on what is actually done is another.  However, it will never be enough for those already drunk on Morton Kool-Aid, so that is why some of us are apathetic towards contributing much to it.

Read through my posts- I haven't referred to Morton anywhere. I have enough common sense to look objectively at what I do know and what is already proven beyond doubt in Europe.If you can debate that point you'll have lost any credibility at all.  As well I can draw on what happened at the Saddle Island area where the lobster population was decimated as I've noted before, but as one of the feedlotters pointed out, there was an abundance elsewhere. These are simple and undeniable facts. You can try twisting and spinning but it won't work.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2013, 11:49:03 PM »

Read through my posts- I haven't referred to Morton anywhere. I have enough common sense to look objectively at what I do know and what is already proven beyond doubt in Europe.If you can debate that point you'll have lost any credibility at all.  As well I can draw on what happened at the Saddle Island area where the lobster population was decimated as I've noted before, but as one of the feedlotters pointed out, there was an abundance elsewhere. These are simple and undeniable facts. You can try twisting and spinning but it won't work.

I referred to Ms Morton because Chris brought up the response by her and I commented on it.  You suggested that I ran away from the benthic impact posts, but clearly left out the fact that you and other fear mongers didn't even address my comment and the questions I raised.  You also didn't follow up with those "Mythbusters" back in the other thread.  Even when I responded to the benthic impacts you still kept "side-stepping"...lol.  Who is really doing the avoiding, NB?

You can look objectively?  Really?  How so?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »

Paint it with any brush you like Steve and try to spin my words, but you can't deny a few facts- 1 - the crap that comes from feedlots and settles to the bottom is filthy and full of chemicals and 2 - the same feedlots you defend so vigorously haven't proven to be the most responsible industries in , oh , let's say Norway, Scotland, Ireland and other places (like Saddle Island where there are NO MORE lobsters) they've turned into toilets and chemical soup. But I digress Sidestep and I'm sure you'll try some way of twisting these 2 simple facts and tell us it's no worse than chocolate ice cream.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:25:29 PM by Novabonker »