Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquaculture  (Read 67793 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Aquaculture
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 12:33:32 PM »

Thank you Chris. This is a good read :)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »

http://www.leg.bc.ca/cmt/38thparl/session-3/aquaculture/reports/Rpt-AQUACULTURE-38-3-Volume1-2007-MAY-16.pdf

Noticed this is from 2007

It always amazes me that it takes a committee to come up with this when Morton, using simple common sense has been asking for many of these things all along. Of course these are the exact things that the feedlots are still fighting against.

"Committee Findings:
While BC claims to have the most stringent regulatory regime, there are key areas which must be
addressed if BC is to further improve its reputation for having a healthy marine environment and a
truly sustainable aquaculture industry.

The Committee recommends that:
5.1 There must be a clear division between Ministry of Agriculture and Lands and the Ministry of Environment. Programs that promote aquaculture development should be within the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands. All protection, regulation  and monitoring of the aquaculture industry must be within the mandate of the Ministry of Environment.
5.2 Adequate resources should be distributed accordingly to ensure a robust compliance and enforcement regime is in place with adequate monitoring and feedback.
5.3 All fish health management plans must be made public, easily accessible on the Ministry’s website, to increase transparency and to give greater confidence to British Columbians that all industry players are obeying best practice standards. This is already done voluntarily by some companies but we recommend that this should be mandatory.
5.4 Reporting can no longer rely on industry policing itself. The government as the regulator, must conduct random checks without notice to any fish farm operators.
5.5 The government must establish minimum fines that reflect the seriousness of the offences when infractions occur."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:31:41 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »

They have Atlantic feedlots in Washington and this report came out.
I do not see Morton's name on it.
http://www.washington.edu/news/2013/01/14/salmon-runs-boom-go-bust-over-centuries/

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »

Nice link .. one of the authors of that report, Dr. Dan Selbie, manages DFO's Cultus Lake Salmon Research Laboratory.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 05:36:27 PM »

Dave,

Did you ever find a link to that lecture we attended(online) with the graph from that study and the temperature recordings of the tagged socks at they traveled up the Fraser?  Such a good lecture.  I would love to see it again.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »

I haven't Aqua but I think another poster (Easywater?) suggested it was no longer available.  That was the one by Dr.Tony Farrell, in the "speaking for the salmon" series, right?  If I recall he suggested warming Fraser River water temperatures were the main reason for certain sockeye stocks to be declining. 
Mykiss Crazy, or anyone else, if you read this can you give an update of how we might read or see this again?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 08:30:13 AM »

Old, but interesting.

"Cost to the (US)public for this expert opinion was free.

Meanwhile, 2100 miles to the south, a British Columbia judge is soon to release his report for reasons why the 2009 return of sockeye salmon to the Fraser River was equally dismal.
Cost to the public for his opinion will be about $30 million."

http://www.adn.com/2012/06/23/2517571/decline-in-king-salmon-is-rooted.html

"Oh, and the Fraser River sockeye did indeed rebound – the very next year in fact. Over 30 million salmon (the highest return in 100 years) returned in 2010.

Is there a lesson to be learned?

Yes indeed.

Lawyers and (some)environmental groups know little about salmon but a lot about spending other people’s money."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:37:19 AM by Fisherbob »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 09:33:05 AM »

This is why Morton should be concerned with the wild salmon in her own country as well. This was only a few steps south of our invisible border.
http://www.clubnorthwestern.com/archive/index.php/t-17140.html

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Puget-Sound-salmon-farm-kills-entire-stock-after-virus-found-154517265.html?m=y&smobile=y
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:44:10 AM by Fisherbob »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »

“We are treating for sea lice up to two times per month in Chile, this costs a lot of money and is also affecting the feeding of the fish,” he said, adding this was the general picture for all companies in Chile.

Giving pesticides that often to fish and then selling them for food, I tought that was illegal. usally you have to stop giving pesticides for 3 or 4 weeks before selling the product. Wait maybe I'm thinking about vegetables. Fish farmers can sell whatever they want.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 09:09:41 PM »

Yuup. Just like the land based farmers I guess. Stupid is as stupid thinks. :)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 09:27:36 AM »

I am sure Fisherbob will be taking a lead in this. ;D
http://www.change.org/petitions/washington-state-gov-jay-inslee-ban-open-net-pen-atlantic-salmon-aquaculture-in-washington-s-inland-waters?utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

I've come to believe that Fisherbob is mostly talk and his real motivation is to mock Morton and her valiant efforts to protect all wild salmon.

I am sure that her efforts in Canada are not going unnoticed in the US, and the same sort of effort to make the public aware of the feedlots detrimental effects on the environment will grow in the US.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »

I am sure Fisherbob will be taking a lead in this. ;D
http://www.change.org/petitions/washington-state-gov-jay-inslee-ban-open-net-pen-atlantic-salmon-aquaculture-in-washington-s-inland-waters?utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition
And about time. Thank you for the link Chris. This sure will be interesting to watch for the out come and how much they will listen to a persons point of view who is not a registered biologist. :)