Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are non English speaking people disadvantaged when it comes to the regs?  (Read 18147 times)

StillAqua

Re: Are non English speaking people disadvantaged when it comes to the regs?
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2013, 12:52:20 PM »

We what ever the synopsis is written in. I guess when you look at federal rules such as you mention it is true french would work also. I just believe that you should have to be able to read the regs. If they print them in other languages then that would be fine with me as well. expensive but it might help.
I pretty sure there is only two provinces considered to be bilingual, and BC is not one of them. Correct me if i am wrong, but i think its nova scotia and onterrible.
The regs are available in English and French on the DFO website and for a while they were also available in Vietnamese and Cantonese but I haven't seen those for a long while.
New Brunswick is the only officially bilingual province or territory. Nunavut is the only tri-lingual one.

MoeJKU

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »

thanks for the info i couldn't remember what it was as i heard it a long time ago.
Cheers

Min

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »

I may come across as ignorant, but, sometimes I think that the potential language barrier is used as a convenient excuse to "bend" or "mis-understand" the rules.

However, the entire thing about not reading is not limited to any age, gender, race, etc.

I have been working at Metrotown the last couple of weeks.  Washroom renovations.

There are many signs, located in very obvious places, and yet, people (of all sorts) walk right by and ask "where are the washrooms?"

I have watched people literally push the sign aside, then when told that the washroom was closed, they will say; "why don't they put up some signs!!"

Maybe they read the regulations and just didn't "see" them!!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »

In doing that, I would have to expand my mind to include fat people who will be tapping into the system because of their poor eating choices, smokers for their addiction, heavy drinkers, alcoholics, substance abusers...so much so that I wouldn't have time to deal with my own immediate issues and things I am passionate about.

No, my dear.

That's what MSPBC and the optional extended health insurance is for. That's what my taxes are for. That's what the government I subsidize is for. So I can deal with my stuff. Not yours.
By changing the parameters of your original statement about solely bicyclists it suggests you are showing us you lost your argument. Badly. You never mentioned smokers or fat people. Why not?You are like the kid caught telling a fib struggling quickly to change the story and save his behind. By the way Milo, how tall are you and how much do YOU weigh?

Not difficult of course since your logic is about as solid as a paper bag drenched in slivovitz. I guess it happens when you have to be boastful about your educational degrees rather than just showing some modesty of logic.

but your homophobic comment ~ "my dear"?

You are calling me your dear? I know English is not your first language but you are coming across quite forwardly. Perhaps check out a dictionary or and ESL course (English Second Language)? Milo if you want to ask me out, go ahead. But respectfully, I decline.

It's ok. really. I only thought you did not swing that way. Clearly you have a lot of "stuff" you want to clear from your closet. I just did not think a fishing forum was appropriate.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:21:09 PM by dennisK »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »

By changing the parameters of your original statement about solely bicyclists it suggests you are showing us you lost your argument. Badly. You never mentioned smokers or fat people. Why not?You are like the kid caught telling a fib struggling quickly to change the story and save his behind.
I don't see it that way, Dennis. All I was doing was drawing parallels for the sake of the discussion. But if you like to see it as me losing an argument, fine.  :) I never perceive an intellectual exchange as a game that people win or lose - unless it is an electoral debate - which this discussion is not.

By the way Milo, how tall are you and how much do YOU weigh?

I am amused that you are interested in my measurements. I am 6' 4" and I weigh 275 pounds.
Do you need a bodyguard or bouncer? ;D

Not difficult of course since your logic is about as solid as a paper bag drenched in slivovitz.
Whoever spilled the slivovitz in the paper bag should be punished for alcohol abuse. The only legitimate places for sliwowitz are oak barrels, glass bottles, shot glasses and the tummy. Oh, a flask is OK, too.  ;)

I guess it happens when you have to be boastful about your educational degrees rather than just showing some modesty of logic.

The great William Hazlitt said: "Modesty is the lowest of the virtues, and is a confession of the deficiency it indicates." I'll leave you with that thought.

Huh? Homophobic? Sorry, I don't get it. "My dear" - the way I used it above - was a sarcastic remark. Very British, by the way.

I know English is not your first language but you are coming across quite forwardly. Perhaps check out a dictionary or and ESL course (English Second Language)? Milo if you want to ask me out, go ahead. But respectfully, I decline.

English is one of my three first languages. I was born in London, UK, and I attended British school. But no, I don't speak the Queen's English. Not unless my mother-in-law is around. Then I must behave. :-*
Incidentally, I design and teach English language courses for a living. Let me know if you need some pointers.

It's ok. really. I only thought you did not swing that way. Clearly you have a lot of "stuff" you want to clear from your closet. I just did not think a fishing forum was appropriate.

Of course it's OK. It's the Internet, so anything goes as long as we are polite to each other.
And yes, I do have a lot of stuff to clear from my closet. Especially the fishing one. My wife keeps telling me that it is a horrendous mess. I made her a firm promise to take care of it this winter. Would you care to lend me a hand?

Anyway, lovely chatting with you, old chap. But I am afraid I must leave you know. My angling tackle requires my immediate and undivided attention if I am to be successful in my piscatorial pursuits this weekend.

Cheers,

Milo

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2013, 12:00:41 AM »

You are calling me your dear? I know English is not your first language but you are coming across quite forwardly. Perhaps check out a dictionary or and ESL course (English Second Language)? Milo if you want to ask me out, go ahead. But respectfully, I decline.

"Homophobic" is a fear of homosexuality and as such, your own comments would be more homophobic than Milo's could ever have been construed as (and you certainly stretched "my dear" far to reach such a conclusion). We all will certainly have to consider our words more carefully lest you think any of us are making in an appropriate pass at you also.
Not all those who wander are lost