Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297641 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #720 on: September 20, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »

Today, I hooked my first ever pink salmon in New West! It took me about 1 hour 15 minutes of casting and retrieving my neon red and silver coloured spinner. I fought the fish for about 15 seconds until the line snapped!

I was retrieving in my lure about the same speed as Rod reeled his lure on his Youtube channel when he was fishing for pink salmon, and bingo, "first on", I shouted! Three other people near me said, "It's a big one!"

It was silver coloured and it fought violently hard and I believe the line snapped because it got scraped on the rocks when I was reeling in the salmon near the shore. 

On another note, I used a high quality snap swivel on my spinner which I found inside my tackle box, I didn't manage to get any noticeable line twist this time!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:59:46 PM by Long_Cast »

ANFguy

« Reply #721 on: September 20, 2013, 06:47:20 PM »

fished gp from 4-630pm only one person out of maybe 20 caught, maybe run is over? or fish are waiting for rain or something =(.

poper

« Reply #722 on: September 20, 2013, 08:02:40 PM »

Was out again today in the tidal, and there's was 3 of us and we left with 12 does, it was great fishing, pretty much all day with the odd half hour with out any action, but everyone on the beach was getting some, saw a few coho caught and released.

Yvrsilver

« Reply #723 on: September 20, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »

First they were moving in Richmond 2 hrs before high tide then on and after, now I follow this and it worked last few days I can time the schools but getting them to bite is not so easy these days   http://www.tides4fishing.com/ca/british-columbia/steveston

RyanB

« Reply #724 on: September 20, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »

Dyke road tonight had lots of fish surfacing from 4 pm - 6 pm.  I had one bite.  I blame the guy who moved about seven feet to my right and started throwing a spinner with a pencil weight on the line.  KERPLOP! ever cast.  Thanks buddy.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

penguinabc123

« Reply #725 on: September 20, 2013, 09:03:57 PM »

Managed to get one male along river road to tonight. Lost another after a nice fight. The guy beside me managed three and then it died right down. Started about 330 until 730.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #726 on: September 20, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »

Personally, I've had it with Steveston for now, unless I'm a few minutes drive away. Two days ago, I fished the rocky section for the first time ever on beside no. 3 pier and the steep rocky shore was just too dangerous. I felt like wearing a helmut and a lifejacket for safety reasons.

robbyvanz

« Reply #727 on: September 20, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »

Personally, I've had it with Steveston for now, unless I'm a few minutes drive away. Two days ago, I fished the rocky section for the first time ever on beside no. 3 pier and the steep rocky shore was just too dangerous. I felt like wearing a helmut and a lifejacket for safety reasons.

Anytime other than high tide, those rocks are slippery.  Just cast from up above.  There are only a few spots on Dyke Rd that aren't on boulders. 

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #728 on: September 20, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »

Anytime other than high tide, those rocks are slippery.  Just cast from up above.  There are only a few spots on Dyke Rd that aren't on boulders.

Thanks for the tip, but I won't be fishing in Steveston anytime soon since I've wasted so much gas just to get there that I could have purchased a few nice lures.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #729 on: September 20, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »

On another note, I am seriously considering buying myself a medium to larger sized spinning reel that could accommodate higher lb test line. I shouldn't have sold my Shimano Symetre 4000RD with double padded handles reel about 10 years ago to Will_Carp on this site. I thought I wouldn't need it since I was more focus on trout fishing than anything else.

I haven't done much looking around....

What are some stores that sells decent to good quality spinning reels that are reasonably priced?

I like Abu Garcia, Daiwa and Shimano brands.

robbyvanz

« Reply #730 on: September 20, 2013, 10:38:07 PM »

Long Cast,

try Army & Navy down in New West.  Their prices are lower than most of these specialty shops around here.  They carry all those brands you mentioned. I just got a new reel from Bass Pro Shops.  Free Shipping to Canada right now. 

Yvrsilver

« Reply #731 on: September 20, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »

On another note, I am seriously considering buying myself a medium to larger sized spinning reel that could accommodate higher lb test line.

Wait what? I just put 30lb test braided size 8 mono on my tinny reel , love braided

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #732 on: September 20, 2013, 10:49:19 PM »

Long Cast,

try Army & Navy down in New West.  Their prices are lower than most of these specialty shops around here.  They carry all those brands you mentioned. I just got a new reel from Bass Pro Shops.  Free Shipping to Canada right now.

I've been a fan of Bass Pro Shops since the early 90's - I've been salivating from their catalogs since I was a kid - but I've never purchased anything from them.  Free shipping eh? But, you have to pay expensive duty fees right?

As for Army and Navy, I refuse to buy stuff from them since I had some extremely poor service.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:51:28 PM by Long_Cast »

robbyvanz

« Reply #733 on: September 20, 2013, 10:52:07 PM »

I've been a fan of Bass Pro Shops since the early 90's - I've been salivating from their catalogs since I was a kid - but I've never purchased anything from them.  Free shipping eh? But, you have to pay expensive duty fees right?

Nope.  Standard GST/PST 12%, plus 6.5% duty.  I bought a $100 baitcast reel.  All in $118 to my door.  Enter promo code FREE75 for free shipping on orders over $75. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:55:55 PM by robbyvanz »

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #734 on: September 20, 2013, 10:55:49 PM »

Nope.  Standard GST/PST 12%, plus 6.5% duty.  I bought a $100 baitcast reel.  All in $118 to my door.  Enter promo code FREE75 for free shipping on orders over $75.

Thanks, I will look into it.