Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297650 times)

Tuckster

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #465 on: September 13, 2013, 08:29:06 AM »

Thanks I'll look into the albright. Thinking of using braid this year for float fishing coho.

Foul hooking is the freaking worst. I'm traumatized from the Squamish and I swear I was batting about 70%.

Change your presentation if you are foul hooking a ton. I was casting spinners in squamish and foul hooked three in a row, changed to a single jig under a small float with no weight and caught 30+ with 95% clean mouth hooksets. Frankly it's irresponsible to cast spoons and spinners through areas with thousands of fish, foul hooks are simply inevitable in those scenarios with that method.

bluenoser

« Reply #466 on: September 13, 2013, 09:45:54 AM »

I was using small weight and a very small spinner under the float and had almost all proper bites, very few foul hooked. I was not pulling the float perpendicular  to the river flow, but I was casting short cast, letting the float go strait down the river a bit, then stop, wait for the bait, if nothing for like up to twenty seconds, retrieve. There were people bringing more fish then I did with my method, but I had almost no foul hooks.

Art.

Ambassador

« Reply #467 on: September 13, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »

Change your presentation if you are foul hooking a ton. I was casting spinners in squamish and foul hooked three in a row, changed to a single jig under a small float with no weight and caught 30+ with 95% clean mouth hooksets. Frankly it's irresponsible to cast spoons and spinners through areas with thousands of fish, foul hooks are simply inevitable in those scenarios with that method.
I had a very similar experience. I hooked the biggest pink I had ever seen by the hump in Squamish (felt bad but released him with care) on a spoon, then switched to pink wool with a 1 oz weight and a float. Everything after that was hooked in the mouth - making me feel like a real fisherman! (Unlike the yanker beside me).
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #468 on: September 13, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »

the feeling of fooling a fish into taking your presentation is more fun than the actual fighting of the fish. congrats on doing it properly.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #469 on: September 13, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »

North Arm in Burnaby was void of any fish activities today. I was there for 1/2 hour around lunch.  Everybody give up yet on the Tidal Fraser and on their way to the Vedder?  ;D

SteelHunter

« Reply #470 on: September 13, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »

North Arm in Burnaby was void of any fish activities today. I was there for 1/2 hour around lunch.  Everybody give up yet on the Tidal Fraser and on their way to the Vedder?  ;D

Im pretty much done with tidal Fraser already this year enough is enough. Time to pay the extra gas money to get to chilliwack .
Anywhere past mission is really HOT right now fishing . Below mission its hit and miss . Looks like ill be fishing chiliwack tmmr will have fishing report later :)

andrew5

« Reply #471 on: September 13, 2013, 01:57:20 PM »

Has anyone had any success in the last two days in the tidal portion of the river?

HKSR

« Reply #472 on: September 13, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »

Im pretty much done with tidal Fraser already this year enough is enough. Time to pay the extra gas money to get to chilliwack .
Anywhere past mission is really HOT right now fishing . Below mission its hit and miss . Looks like ill be fishing chiliwack tmmr will have fishing report later :)

Don't give up yet!  The FN fishery ends tonight, and with the temps cooling, and rain in the forecast, could make a big difference with the fishing experience in the tidal :)

SteelHunter

« Reply #473 on: September 13, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »

I hear yeah but even on its best days tidal is still hit and miss. I like fishing but enjoy it better if I was catching . I Will try update live fishing reports on your twitter and on mine also follow me @SilentWhisper11 , I will update my twitter regularly when out fishing chilliiwack and tidal portions Fraser, already few not so good reports in tidal portion. We will see if there any difference in reports this weekend.

Cross are fingers for Saturday otherwise ill be filling the gas tank and taking the car out to chilliliwack to get my arms soar from playing too many fish  ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:23:01 PM by SteelHunter »

HKSR

« Reply #474 on: September 13, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »

Sounds good! Keep me posted.  I'll be out and about this weekend too, I'll post updates wherever I end up :)

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #475 on: September 13, 2013, 02:37:02 PM »

another opening for the seine fleet starting sunday at 6am. and i thought they were finished,up goes the wall of death again.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #476 on: September 13, 2013, 02:42:29 PM »

Due to Interior Fraser River coho constraints, the Area B Seine Fraser Pink ITQ
demonstration fishery will close at 21:00 hours on Tuesday, September 10, 2013.
The Department will continue to evaluate the fishing impacts to date though
further seine fishing opportunities in Area 29 for Fraser pink salmon are not
anticipated."

i quess they dont think they will impact coho. dream on.

SteelHunter

« Reply #477 on: September 13, 2013, 02:42:54 PM »

Very sad DFO said they would stop commercial siene cause coho impacts?  :'(

lapa

« Reply #478 on: September 13, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »

Don't give up yet!  The FN fishery ends tonight, and with the temps cooling, and rain in the forecast, could make a big difference with the fishing experience in the tidal :)
And starts Sunday 6am- 9pm daily  :( :(

HKSR

« Reply #479 on: September 13, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »

Anybody have a link or copy of the new commercial opening?  I can't seem to find it on the website.