Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297783 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #660 on: September 18, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »

Fished out of my tinny in the Langley area last night.  Couple of friends were working the same area with me.  Put in at 5:30 off the water at 7:30pm.

One boat got 5-6 (two guys), another boat just one fish (one guy) and my boat (two guys) only got three in 2 hours.  Fish jumping, surfacing and finning all around, but not actively biting.

Switched up the presenations from spinners (black and chartreuse Blue Fox worked a little) all colours and different sizes.   Small buzz bombs, crocs, dick nite and jigs.  Nothing became a "go to" last night.

bluenoser

« Reply #661 on: September 18, 2013, 09:39:20 AM »

Big school pushed through by 3 rd yesteday at 2pm. Wind was blowing pretty good which made it hard to keep the sag out of the line twitching jigs so I switched up to a pink croc which caught a big male covered in sea lice, he was sporting a good size hump so I released him and never had another hit before I left at 3pm.

Stopped by 3 rd on the way to work again this morning for 45 minutes and picked up a nice doe on a Bent rods spinner...she's on ice and will be barbecued tonight.

BN

66TWH

« Reply #662 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »

Fished out of my tinny in the Langley area last night.  Couple of friends were working the same area with me.  Put in at 5:30 off the water at 7:30pm.

One boat got 5-6 (two guys), another boat just one fish (one guy) and my boat (two guys) only got three in 2 hours.  Fish jumping, surfacing and finning all around, but not actively biting.

Switched up the presenations from spinners (black and chartreuse Blue Fox worked a little) all colours and different sizes.   Small buzz bombs, crocs, dick nite and jigs.  Nothing became a "go to" last night.

Also in Langley for just a short period right at slack tide for a little over an hour. I could not keep them off a small spinner that I finally tapped into action the night before. I have also been trying everything in past weeks with no "go too" lure this season. This one is working for whatever reason on the new ones coming in. Chrome body and the blade has a strip of pink flash tape on it. Key is that its small as water clarity is really good. Have put in time with a bit bigger blade with zero success. I just had my waders and walked out a little ways with no problem getting into the zone. Water is moderately cooler closer to shore now so i think this helped as well.     

Yvrsilver

« Reply #663 on: September 18, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »

The FN seiners are the key I think for the lower fraser last night they were working 3rd to 5rd right up to the rocks , and Richmond was lame where as no boats delta side and it went off , chose the other side of seiners and stay down river of them good luck

SteelHunter

« Reply #664 on: September 18, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »

i was there around 7pm and it was really slow, talked to people and they did not caught any. i started at #5 and went all the way to #3. saw a guy with pink and he said he caught it around 5pm. did you fish at these areas too? ty.

I wasn't on no.5 road , I was fishing delta side of the  arm it was going off on that side.  8)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:42:06 AM by SteelHunter »

htdub

« Reply #665 on: September 18, 2013, 11:36:17 AM »

Was bit slower last night compared to the other evening incoming tides.

I blame these guys, 20 of them rolled by fully loaded

SteelHunter

« Reply #666 on: September 18, 2013, 11:42:22 AM »

I found a new honey hole as the forum is drawing too many people down to no.5 road , and now the fn seiners are cleaning up all the fish right in front of no.5 to no.3 road so the gong show not worth it for me anymore , there is way better spots without many people and you get into your limit very easy within 1hr ;D
and yes i released a bunch of  males only kept the nice females for roe for coho next month  :P
rest for the smoker cant wait  ;)

DeadlyDick

« Reply #667 on: September 18, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »

Hey guys.  New to this forum.  How long do you expect the pink run to last?

Yvrsilver

« Reply #668 on: September 18, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »

I found a new honey hole as the forum is drawing too many people down to no.5 road , and now the fn seiners are cleaning up all the fish right in front of no.5 to no.3 road so the gong show not worth it for me anymore , there is way better spots without many people and you get into your limit very easy within 1hr ;D
and yes i released a bunch of  males only kept the nice females for roe for coho next month  :P
rest for the smoker cant wait  ;)

Ya someone sent the hoard down to the dog park at 4rd ish last night and everyone of them got skunked including me acck , but good news for Rods forum looks like many read it , the parking was insane late comers were walking a 1/2 mile lol
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:58:09 AM by Yvrsilver »

SteelHunter

« Reply #669 on: September 18, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »

Hey guys.  New to this forum.  How long do you expect the pink run to last?

3-4 weeks depending on water temperature and tides. The bulk of them like to ride the strongest tides and they can ride up to 4-6 tides before they make it up to chilliwack . Thats when they start to get more coloured up when they sit too long in the fresh water .
Thats why i like fishing Richmond area cause it freshest fish you can get , also i heard people saying the pink where running late this year so the bulk of run is just starting now . So could be good fishing intill 1st week of october , then the coho fish

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #670 on: September 18, 2013, 05:47:14 PM »

My family decided to go to Richmond for breakfast, so after my meal, I fished near no. 3 pier on Dyke road around 12:30pm to about 1:45pm, and it was sunny, hot, and warm. There was no need to layer up as I was wearing a fleece jacket under my Gore-Tex jacket. I saw a few fish on the surface flopping around, but it was definitely too early since the tide was still rather low. There were a total of three fishermen including myself who were angling in the area.  I didn't see anyone else catch anything.

I used a Silver/bright red Gibbs Deadly Darter, but it was too light for my baitcaster. So I decided to use my old 3.5 inch Buzz Bomb (I didn't see any small pink Buzz Bombs on my last shopping trip) which was definitely too big and I lost the Buzz Bomb due to a nasty snag. Since Steveston is a rather long drive from Burnaby, I will have to call it quits for fishing in Steveston for pinks as the commute time is too long and cost of gas is just too high.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:55:13 PM by Long_Cast »

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #671 on: September 18, 2013, 07:54:20 PM »

Fished the flood tide 3pm - 5pm at no.3 road pier. Watched a guy wrestle a 5'-6' sturgeon at the far end of the pier, he eventually snapped the line but I got some video of the beast as it surfaced - impressive size! Maybe I will post it to youtube. FN fishers were 20' from the dock at one point, overheard that their last set had one sockeye and two white springs as bycatch - not bad I guess. Plenty of fish jumping and rising all over the place, but alas, none for me. I have pretty much had it with this stupid tidal fraser pink fishery this year... really, really disappointing. Bring on the Coho!
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

sumasriver

« Reply #672 on: September 18, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »

Fished Abby/Mission Bar 1-3 pm

So about a dozen fish caught. I caught 2 males in first 10 minutes - released both.   Then snagged bottom and lost my only lure ( pink teaspoon -silver back ).

Fished the next hour and half going through the tackle box.  Pink Crocs, Deadly dick,  other pink teaspoons, spinners , etc etc and did not get any hookups.

Saw an eagle and not too many people out today.  Still a great day on the river.  Probably enough pinks for me  as it is getting a bit boring.  Time to focus on the HOES.   Also time for new waders as mine are leaking and i don't want frozen feet in Oct/Nov fishing.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #673 on: September 18, 2013, 08:23:08 PM »

was at no3 rd 2-5 . croc dident worki so switched to buzz bomb and hooked into 4 only landed 1, my buddy took 2 also on buzz bomb 2inch pink.  they were light biters today and not many were landed.

robbyvanz

« Reply #674 on: September 18, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »

Commercial seign are now closed for the season.  One more day of FN Seign boats: 

Further to FN0899, the Area B Seine Individual Transferable Quota (ITQ)
demonstration pink fishery in Area 29 has reached the maximum of 20 boat days
and will close at 21:00 hours, Wednesday, September 18, 2013. No further
fisheries are planned at this time.

FN Fishery:
This fishery is open daily 07:00 hours, to 22:00 hours Wednesday, September 18,
2013 and Thursday, September 19, 2013 with the possibility of an extension.