Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259743 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #315 on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »

Was out in Squamish on Monday, noticed some guys start trying to drift small flies with their baitcasters. Never seen this before. Does it work? Need to put some split shots along the way?

It's basically flossing

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #316 on: August 09, 2017, 12:30:24 PM »

Furry still slow but me and a buddy landed about 25 fish this morning at Squamish this am

1st lite

« Reply #317 on: August 09, 2017, 01:29:26 PM »

I fished both FC and the Squamish on different days over the weekend and both are better fishing early mornings. Should only be getting better.
Also been checking out the North Shore and not seeing anything promising around those waters. Judging by the few people fishing that area it looks like not much is happening. I have also noticed that there's little to no boats from the mouth of the Cap to Navvy Jack point this year.
Looks like I'll be spending more time up at FC and Squamish. Lots more fun and fish. Just hope the boats will keep there distance from the people fishing from the beach.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #318 on: August 09, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »

It's basically flossing
How would it be flossing? It seems like a legitimate technique similar to drifting wool or jigs.
Someone was here

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #319 on: August 09, 2017, 03:10:59 PM »

Exactly the same as drifting a jig, except that the weights are a bit above the presentation rather than an actual part of it.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #320 on: August 09, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »

How would it be flossing? It seems like a legitimate technique similar to drifting wool or jigs.

This method can be very effective for biting fish. But just like any method, fish can be flossed. But both Stratocaster and I can confirm that using flies under a float can work very well.  Oops! I've let the cat out of the bag!!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #321 on: August 09, 2017, 04:39:32 PM »

...just like a clump of clipped wool on an octopus hook, huh? Like people don't 'short float' that for pinks on the Squish or the Chedder. ::)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #322 on: August 09, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »

This method can be very effective for biting fish. But just like any method, fish can be flossed. But both Stratocaster and I can confirm that using flies under a float can work very well.  Oops! I've let the cat out of the bag!!!

Hey FFM; when the fish get stacked and it gets tough not to snag and floss fish on the swing have you ever tried a  straight drift through the fish using an indicator like fishing an egg pattern or nymph?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #323 on: August 09, 2017, 08:31:51 PM »

Hey Knnn. I have to admit I've not tried that. I have had success switching to a full floating line and retrieving my fly above the school. Fresh fish would follow the fly and take it in a foot of water!

Have you tried nymphing for pinks? I imagine drifting a fly under a float may be a similar presentation and I've had success doing that. I did see a guy fly fishing with an indicator the other day. Was that you? Lol.

Birkenhead

« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2017, 08:41:08 PM »

Went for a short stroll along the Fraser tonight on Argue St in Poco. Seen some salmon surfacing in the water that I and another person were near 100% certain, those were Pinks we seen. For that area of the north arm, that is a good sign that there are some making it upriver.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2017, 09:05:11 PM »

Hey Knnn. I have to admit I've not tried that. I have had success switching to a full floating line and retrieving my fly above the school. Fresh fish would follow the fly and take it in a foot of water!

Have you tried nymphing for pinks? I imagine drifting a fly under a float may be a similar presentation and I've had success doing that. I did see a guy fly fishing with an indicator the other day. Was that you? Lol.

Nope, just speculating it might be a fun and low risk way of fishing dor pinks.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2017, 09:23:42 PM »

Went for a short stroll along the Fraser tonight on Argue St in Poco. Seen some salmon surfacing in the water that I and another person were near 100% certain, those were Pinks we seen. For that area of the north arm, that is a good sign that there are some making it upriver.

Their pinks guys in the salt are starting to catch them from sandheads to the north arm. Starting to show up in the Fraser river test fishery too.

I was out on Sunday and cought some pinks and coho. The Fraser river pink fishery I bet is going to be out standing this year. it's starting off pretty good in the salt

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2017, 09:38:38 PM »

Pinks don't favour the north side of the river along there.

For the info of tyros and novices. Every cycle people announce pinks are in the river and on walks along the bank I see people fishing from mid August to the end of the month. Don't waste your time. There are very few fish in the river and given water clarity and the expanse of the width of complexity of the channel the probability of encountering one is very low.

To date a total of 8 fish have been taken from the in river test fisheries including yesterday. It's time to cut bait and not fish. The good fishing happens next month.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Birkenhead

« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2017, 04:06:16 AM »

Pinks don't favour the north side of the river along there.

For the info of tyros and novices. Every cycle people announce pinks are in the river and on walks along the bank I see people fishing from mid August to the end of the month. Don't waste your time. There are very few fish in the river and given water clarity and the expanse of the width of complexity of the channel the probability of encountering one is very low.

To date a total of 8 fish have been taken from the in river test fisheries including yesterday. It's time to cut bait and not fish. The good fishing happens next month.

You are correct, pinks do not favour the north arm, but they can be found there. I have lived in this area for 8 years and every August, have seen some pinks in this stretch of the river.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2017, 08:17:08 AM »

Pinks normally do a short roll where just their dorsal fin comes out.
Sometimes later in the season, they will do some multiple, crazy flopping on top of the water.

If you see fish rolling in the middle of the river where you see most of their body, they are probably Sockeye.