Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297693 times)

Hoop71

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #495 on: September 13, 2013, 05:32:02 PM »

You interested in going Sunday?

I can drive as well (roomy 08 GMC truck) we could split gas or something. Doesnt matter really. But I am planning on hitting the 'wack sunday for sure, but I am currently waiting on word from a buddy that wants to get the boat in the water. If thats a no go, Ill be walking and wading. I know a few spots, but I also know how to hike my butt around, find water, new spots and sometimes even fishies. Email me if you like!

Danbaraniuk@gmail.com

Thanks for the offer! I can't go Sunday as I work. Will def go tomorrow so if anyone is willing to join me let me know.

Cheers,
Dan

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #496 on: September 13, 2013, 05:41:21 PM »

Sad, just sad  :( Pinks are one thing but what kind of damage is this doing to all the coho and chinooks! You can't tell me that these fish don't get swept up in those nets as well and regardless of if they release them or not that's going to put major stress on the fish! Just a poor display of management on the part of the DFO. I understand that these guys depend on fish to make money but c'mon they gotta give their heads a shake. What about the upper fraser coho? What about the Thompson steelhead? How about the late run sockeye and Cultus Lake fish? The fragile runs of some of the North Fraser tribs? All these fish now have to survive a gauntlet of nets on top of the other strenuous elements that they face. I for one am starting to get quite upset.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #497 on: September 13, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »

Saw a weird thing today down at the south arm of Richmond.  I saw a commercial vessel heading downriver, and guys were throwing fish overboard.  Has anybody seen anything like this?

Humpy

« Reply #498 on: September 13, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »

Probably "releasing" the salmon they aren't allowed to keep(coho, springs?)
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #499 on: September 13, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »

I've also witnessed this during pink years where boats throw male pinks over the side and keep the does to sell the roe however it was FN boats and it was in the upper fraser, disgusting really.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

sumasriver

« Reply #500 on: September 13, 2013, 06:07:54 PM »

Very few humpies in the abby/mission bridge area today when i was there 3-5 pm.

Humpy

« Reply #501 on: September 13, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »

Hearing reports, where people are catching dozens near the vedder mouth.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #502 on: September 13, 2013, 06:34:59 PM »

Thanks for the offer! I can't go Sunday as I work. Will def go tomorrow so if anyone is willing to join me let me know.

Cheers,
Dan

Ok well have fun! Even if you cant find anyone, just park somewhere, and hike! If your physically capable of course. Wade, get a little bit lost and just remember the river will guide you back to your vehicle! Good luck to you! Im kind of glad you couldnt go, my buddy confirmed us going out Sunday and I dont think there is room for 3.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

robbyvanz

« Reply #503 on: September 13, 2013, 07:01:09 PM »

Complete BS.  Looks like Saturday is our best shot at catching some Pinks.

Fraser pink salmon run size continues to be larger than expected resulting in
an additional fishing opportunity for Area B seines for a maximum of 20 boat
days as well as First Nations Economic Opportunity and demonstration pink
directed fisheries, with sockeye non-retention to minimize additional impacts
on Fraser River sockeye and coho salmon.  The Department's priorities are to
ensure that there is sufficient sockeye returning to the spawning grounds and
all fisheries are being managed to minimize sockeye impacts.  Fishers are
requested to check for any restrictions in their local areas.

In Canada, the commercial Area B seine fishery in Areas 29 is scheduled to
reopen on Sunday, September 15, 2013 until further notice with a maximum of 20
boat days of fishing permitted.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #504 on: September 13, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »

I fished for an hour and half today from 11 to 12:30 in the Langley area.

No action until a school came through at 12pm.  Surface action increased from an occasional surfacing/splash in my immediate area to a splash every 30 seconds.  I got a bite ,then another, fish on, lost half way in, another bite, lost after about 3/4 to me.  Then another hit, brought to hand (bonked).  Threw out there again right away, hit, another hit, then another fish to hand.  Sent him back, as one was enough for dinner tonight.  Then NOTHING.  Zero action after that, nothing surfacing.  Left my spot at about 12:30/12:45.

Absolutely GORGEOUS day.  I love exploring and finding quiet spots.  One boat trolling around, no one else fishing from shore within my field of view. 

I made a quick smoked salmon pate with it.  Good result.  Will increase the cold smoke time with my next fish.  I used one of those pressure cooker style smokers.  First time I used it.

Heading out in a boat tomorrow.  But realize it is an uphill battle with the commie and native openings.

Too nice to not be out there.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #505 on: September 13, 2013, 09:12:56 PM »

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2013/NewsRelease11.pdf

I believe its on page 2 after the 3rd paragraph.
This is so sad. It's getting worse every year for the sport fisherman.
I was hoping for at least 1 week of fishing without a single net out there...guess that's not happening.
Good luck to everyone this weekend :D
 I'll still be heading out to the river.

I agree. This is so frustrating, man. Why on earth DFO who are selling sport fishermen fishing licenses and yet don't care a dime on our fishing? If they just read through these pages, they should sense fishermen are saying fishing this year is so slow and hard and yet they don't care to give us a break, as you say a week of no nets. Fishermen should boycott at least buying tidal license 2 years from now unless DFO is willing to give the sporties a break for a fair chance. Their action of letting the commercials catch it all is a total betrayal of our trust that they do care about sockeye and coho. These stocks don't stand a chance against the killer nets. Many will not make it to home streams with weakened condition after release from the crushing weight of sein nets which catch tons of pinks. They can not survive the nets, and we just can't compete with those killer nets. The days of limiting on tidal pinks which happened regularly in the past is now a distant memory. Pathetic.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:17:54 PM by liketofish »

Tuckster

« Reply #506 on: September 13, 2013, 09:19:25 PM »

I agree. This is so frustrating, man. Why on earth DFO who are selling sport fishermen fishing licenses and yet don't care a dime on our fishing? If they just read through these pages, they should sense fishermen are saying fishing this year is so slow and hard and yet they don't care to give us a break, as you say a week of no nets. Fishermen should boycott at least buying tidal license 2 years from now unless DFO is willing to give the sporties a break for a fair chance. Their action of letting the commercials catch it all is a total betrayal of our trust that they do care about sockeye and coho. These stocks don't stand a chance against the killer nets. Many will not make it to home streams with weakened condition after release from the crushing weight of sein nets which catch tons of pinks. They can not survive the nets, and we just can't compete with those killer nets. The days of limiting on tidal pinks which happened regularly in the past is now a distant memory. Pathetic.

Agreed, I wonder what the actual harvest number is at and what percent of the total run size it is.

anorden

« Reply #507 on: September 13, 2013, 09:26:42 PM »

I agree. This is so frustrating, man. Why on earth DFO who are selling sport fishermen fishing licenses and yet don't care a dime on our fishing?

DFO policy is clear that they give commercials priority on pink and sockeye and give sports fishermen first dibs on coho and chinook.

But given the size of the pink run having more than 1 day off commercial / native fishing can't do any harm. And maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but haven't seen a flood of cheap pinks in any stores so where are they selling them?? I remember 3 years back we was buying sox off the back of a boat for $8 a fish, can't even get pinks for that rate at the moment!

Heard from a few reliable sources this year is going to be AWESOME for coho. Some rivers are already fishing well for coho and will only get better. And in theory the commercials will only be able to pick up the crumbs!

Zackattack

« Reply #508 on: September 13, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »

Heard from a few reliable sources this year is going to be AWESOME for coho. Some rivers are already fishing well for coho and will only get better. And in theory the commercials will only be able to pick up the crumbs!

Lets hope so, although everyone's expectations were HIGH for the pinks this year to and so far I think it's fair to say hasn't met ppls expectations.. whether the reason is the netters, temps etc, we cant be sure
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:58:23 PM by Zackattack »

robbyvanz

« Reply #509 on: September 13, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »

For those who have fished Derby Reach, can I park right on the shoreline in those RV spots? 

thanks