Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297551 times)

TheFishingLad

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2013, 10:04:41 PM »

Caught a few smolts around 1lb. Had a pink on, all with a spinning glow.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #391 on: September 10, 2013, 11:06:57 PM »

i tried no.5 road at high tide, and new west at low tide today, and not a sniff in either outings (45 minutes each). I did put together an all pink spin n glo on a 3 foot leader with some pencil lead across it and think that will kill it when i get more time. It looked so good in the water, especially retrieving it in against the current. I feel like you can do a super slow retrieve and stil have great action on it.

has anyone else tried this or have any experience spin casting with spin n glos? Also, it was a medium sized one (not sure what size exactly, but not mi biggest).
Been making online spinners for a few people and they have had good success with them. I use my wire former. I put 2 pink glow beads, a colorado blade attached with clevis and then another 2 glow beads. You just add some weight so that you can cast it, let it sink and do a slow retrieve.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

poper

« Reply #392 on: September 11, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »

Was out last night and saw at least 20 fish caught in the tidal.There seems to be good numbers right now.

andrew5

« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »

Was out last night and saw at least 20 fish caught in the tidal.There seems to be good numbers right now.

whereabouts in the tidal? Richmond? New West? Langley? I imagine it will take a day or two for the masses to work their way up to the upper portion of the tidal.

SteelHunter

« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »

I was fishing no5 road from 6pm -8pm , only saw 1 fish caught out of 20+ guys , not sure where your fishing???

bearyb

« Reply #395 on: September 11, 2013, 11:10:33 AM »

My Girlfriend and I have been fishing the north arm of the Fraser around south Dunbar. 2 days and so far we haven't caught anything other than sculpin. Haven't seen anyone else fishing around there so I'm wondering if we're in a bad spot, though from the sounds of this forum it looks like it's been pretty hit or miss with the pinks.

oldkawi

« Reply #396 on: September 11, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »

Same here.  Fished on Dyke rd. at no. 5 in Richmond from 5 to 6:30 and did not see one bite or any caught. The test fishery numbers from yesterday were lower than the last couple of days.   Did not see much activity in the water yesterday.  The tides are now not favorable for me....I'm going to wait til the weekend. 

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #397 on: September 11, 2013, 11:19:01 AM »

Lost one at my feet in a secret/quiet spot in the Lanlgey after 2+ hours of flogging away at risers.

Risers stopped, so I spun by the Derby Reach area.  In a row of 30+ people (many of whom looked like....novices) but didn't see a fish caught in the 20 mins I was there.  Very few risers, mostly WAY out in the middle.  Couple boats out there, didn't see anything caught by them either.

Frustrating start to the Pink season for me as well.  Might put in a couple hours tonight.

robbyvanz

« Reply #398 on: September 11, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »

Numbers shouldn't pick up till this weekend after the first nations fishery is over
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:42:29 AM by robbyvanz »

poper

« Reply #399 on: September 11, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »

Mission,Abby area has been good.

eman

« Reply #400 on: September 11, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »

at the end no.3 rd. around 8 am, caught my first pink, 3 llbs, finally!  (after about 6 tries & a few lost lures, he-he) :D
other than that, it was dead slow. We saw  only about 5 risers but were far out in the middle.
It feels good to finally get the monkey off my back at least. Going out again tommorow morning to see what happens.

Plasticworks

« Reply #401 on: September 11, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »

uggh.  Skunked again today at derby.  Saw one landed which was a surprise as basically nothing was happening on the water (except the pink that surfaced right as I was packing up 8 ft off shore to mock me). 

I'm a newbie but its been about 7 times now and no real action - no hook ups (other than submerged logs etc) and maybe one bite - I'm too new to know for sure.    Been trying Derby/2 bit and the tip of Brae Island once (where they were around and close but all I managed to do was fall in the mud :0 ).

Trying crocs (1/4 and 3/8 and rooster tails and spinners.  Even tried a pink jigging lure for the heck of it but it wanted to snag too easily).  I mention all this as part fishing report and for the other frustrated newbies. 

On the plus the scenery is excellent - we had a huge beaver around Derby where I was this morning.  Oh and a thanks to Mike's reel repair who fixed my broken rod tip in 5 min for under $8.  I'll be back for sure.
It all revolves around the crab!

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #402 on: September 11, 2013, 01:11:14 PM »

One would think that seeing as the opening is for one band and seeing as what the run size is that that opening wouldn't do as much damage as the commercial opening we just had. But that depends on how many boats the FN is sending out I guess. Fishing has been spotty but I have seen at least a few caught every night out here in Delta but not the limits one would be used to getting during this fishery. It is what it is unfortunately.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Tuckster

« Reply #403 on: September 11, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »

Mission,Abby area has been good.

Are the fish clean up that far or are they starting to become less desireable?

Tuckster

« Reply #404 on: September 11, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »

So this is what I have seen so far.

Been out three times.

First day - 4 hits, 2 landed - spinner
Second Day - 4 Hits, 1 landed - pink jig under float
Third day - 2 Hits - One landed - Spinner

Seems like the ticket is slow retrieve/small presentation, I have tried about 10-15 different lure types/colours, the spinner mentioned above caught all the fish.

Noticed lots of fish moving through, most about 1-2 hours before high tide. Low tide and outgoing have been poor. Unfortunately the tides are poor for the next few days, I dont think afternoon is nearly as good as morning.