Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297543 times)

robbyvanz

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #195 on: September 05, 2013, 05:53:51 PM »

Heavy rain and lightening down at No. 5.  Pretty busy but no ones catching anything.

millsm

« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »

fished mission this afternoon, very slow, lots of people out and few hook ups.

losos

« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »

do typical fiberglass rods attract lightening cuz I was goi g to give it a few hours tonight..

It doesn't matter what material is your rod made from. If you're the highest point in the vicinity you have a good chance of attracting lightning strike , but then you'll have a lot of energy.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »

If your hair starts to stand up while at No. 5 Road right now... it might be a good idea to get out of there... ;D

Your chance of being struck by lightning is much bigger by the water, regardless what rod you are holding.

Judging by the risk people would take to get some humpies, CPUE must be really low so far during this pink season! ;D

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »

only one way to find out.

Riverboy888

« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2013, 06:45:34 PM »

LOL! I turned around and went home, Im desperate to fish but not that stupid.. ;D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2013, 06:47:30 PM »

Fished amidst the thunder and lightning upstream of the Patullo for an hour this evening without a sniff.  Didn't see any fish move either.

It was nice to get out though and always a bonus when Mother Nature puts on a free show for you!

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »

LOL! I turned around and went home, Im desperate to fish but not that stupid.. ;D
Id rather die fishing than be afraid of some boomy light!

3-6, great show indeed tex! Not a damn fish! Saw one snagged in the belly, dragged up on the rocks, then dropped back on the rocks, then shoved into the water. I could count on 3 hands how many fish rolled and jumped. Worst. Salmon Season. Ever! Hope the push comes within the next 3 or 4 days! I NEED MY FIX!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

crab

« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2013, 07:13:49 PM »

Looking at the data from the test fishery in Cottonwood, the number of pinks being caught at this time
is much smaller compared to 2011. Perhaps the bulk of the run haven't entered the river yet, or
there's simply less fish returning this year.

http://www.psc.org/info_testfishing_summaries.htm

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #204 on: September 05, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »

Looking at the data from the test fishery in Cottonwood, the number of pinks being caught at this time
is much smaller compared to 2011. Perhaps the bulk of the run haven't entered the river yet, or
there's simply less fish returning this year.

http://www.psc.org/info_testfishing_summaries.htm
Less than last year, but yesterday was 50, so a steady rise, which says it should be starting soon! Maybe there will be no big push, and it will just slowly get slightly better over the next week? Maybe it will just boom tomorrow morning!

I know I read somewhere that the pinks were a couple weeks late on the island, which means next week for the run to start by that timing.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Abu

« Reply #205 on: September 05, 2013, 08:03:27 PM »

Fished through the lightning storm this afternoon from 2:30pm to 5:30pm with 5 friends at south arm Richmond... it was scary as the lightning was real close and loud! :o I am persistent...lol. Saw 2 fish caught and landed by neighboring fishermen...many people left when the lightning got close including a couple of buddies. The remaining 2 friends each got into a fish during a big school coming through, both lost their battles. Got into 2 fish in a row around 5pm after the big school went through, lost both...but had fun on the light gear... love that drag sound ;D. Notice the fish were down low...may be the thunder scared them down? both hook-ups were really slow retrievals.

I thought I was the only one noticing the bites/hook-ups aren't as frequent as the last season, thought may be I was doing something wrong...was out for 9 hours yesterday without a good hook-up and nothing to show GF  :-[. (I still enjoyed the relaxation though! ;D)
Been using pink crocs, gold hammered crocs, chrome crocs, berries specials, white lighning/pink croc and yellow lightning/pink megawatt (my personal favorite) also pink hoochies, pink flies, and pink Colorados. Out of the 6-7 outings so far, all glorious 7 hook-ups have been on the lightning bolt lures...weird considering todays storm. Still waiting to land my first of the season.
Good luck to all of you!!  :D

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #206 on: September 05, 2013, 08:07:51 PM »

Wow you guys are nuts fishing in this storm.  Check out these fishing rods that got zapped.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #207 on: September 05, 2013, 08:09:35 PM »

Go check out the rod that was hit by lightning  that they have on display at Sea-Run fly and tackle... I head home when I see lightning... not worth the risk.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #208 on: September 05, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »

The remaining 2 friends each got into a fish during a big school coming through, both lost their battles.

Your friends or the fish ? ;D Sorry couldn't resist

sumasriver

« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »

I doubt a small spoon can get bottom easily with the Fraser current. If it is too big a spoon, pink will ignore it. I guess it is a buzz bomb or zzinger. These are heavy enough to sink even in 2 to 3" size.

Got into 12 with a  spoon. Various ones.
Pink Lighning bolt,  regular pink teaspoon shape in large and medium.

Lots of fishing around  the Chilliwack / Abby area.    Actually so many i was bumping into them on the retrieve.

Seems like the secret this year is slow retrieve.  Also a light rod. I am using a  4-12 lb rated shimano clarus.