Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297594 times)

Tuckster

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #450 on: September 12, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »

Went and fished out in Chilliwack today because everywhere else is so slow.

JESUS my wrist is sore from fighting fish. A lot were lost, a LOT, the ones I did manage to land were foul hooked. Tail, back, and hump.

Jigs, spoon, and spinners all got hookups... and snags so I felt like it didnt matter how I fished. Guys next to me.. same thing.

No I wasn't ripping. You could feel the fish go after whatever you had on your line and there was a sweet spot about 20 feet out that seemed to always be where hookups were.

Are any chrome? Or are they pretty coloured?

LP89CG

« Reply #451 on: September 12, 2013, 09:30:50 PM »

Guy beside landed a Doe... he had to double check it to make sure it wasnt a Coho. A few males didn't have much of a hump and weren't chrome but they werent colouring too much... if that makes sense

LP89CG

« Reply #452 on: September 12, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »

How many (e.g. percentage) were fair hooked?

20% fair... that I could SEE. I lost most of them without showing so it's a guess.

I tried everything to avoid foul hooks but it seemed nothing worked, slow retrieve, lighter spinners.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #453 on: September 12, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »

Only a few jumpers in Burnaby when I went down this evening to take a look, was only there maybe 10 minutes to see how the water was. Visibility was good, almost green in colour, never seen the water look that nice (then again I do not fish it that often).

Animal Chin

« Reply #454 on: September 12, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »

Hi ,

Will salmon be scared by red braid line directly attached to the lure ?

I"m using fireline crystal (think that's braid). I tie a tiny swivel and attach a 2-3 ft fluorocarbon leader. I use the fluoro more for abrasion resistance, confident with the line and I believe it stretches less. I don't know about stuff like power pro, but just make sure you tie your knot well, The fireline I use slips really easily. I use a trilene knot but do two loops and about 8 wraps. I think palomar is pretty popular for braid, I'm just more familiar with the trilene.

I also do the leader moreso because it's faster for me to tie lures with it than the braid I use. Some people attach a long mono/fluoro section with a nail knot (I believe) but I don't think I could tie it well enough or small enough to have confidence in it or for it to run through my guides smoothly.

Landed a male on 5 Rd, around 6-6:30 pm. Saw 2 risers. Use buzz bomb, retrieved real slow.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:59:35 PM by Animal Chin »

eman

« Reply #455 on: September 12, 2013, 09:54:41 PM »

anyone fished in the New west area today? Just wondering what you guys are seeing or catching over there.  :)

Fillibert

« Reply #456 on: September 12, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »

I also do the leader moreso because it's faster for me to tie lures with it than the braid I use. Some people attach a long mono/fluoro section with a nail knot (I believe) but I don't think I could tie it well enough or small enough to have confidence in it or for it to run through my guides smoothly.

I use palomar on mono also now. And use albright knot for braid to mono connection, use braid to wrap around mono. Reverse albright is faster but is less reliable (when lures got snagged knot snapped faster but never on a fish)

corgi

« Reply #457 on: September 12, 2013, 10:15:12 PM »

Went and fished out in Chilliwack today because everywhere else is so slow.

JESUS my wrist is sore from fighting fish. A lot were lost, a LOT, the ones I did manage to land were foul hooked. Tail, back, and hump.

Jigs, spoon, and spinners all got hookups... and snags so I felt like it didnt matter how I fished. Guys next to me.. same thing.

No I wasn't ripping. You could feel the fish go after whatever you had on your line and there was a sweet spot about 20 feet out that seemed to always be where hookups were.

Where's some decent spots in chilliwack?

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #458 on: September 12, 2013, 10:20:09 PM »

20% fair... that I could SEE. I lost most of them without showing so it's a guess.

I tried everything to avoid foul hooks but it seemed nothing worked, slow retrieve, lighter spinners.
Your fishing slow water! Find some faster water and you will find fish that actually bite! Fish that are travelling upriver and are eager to bite.  >:(

LP89CG

« Reply #459 on: September 12, 2013, 10:31:29 PM »

Your fishing slow water! Find some faster water and you will find fish that actually bite! Fish that are travelling upriver and are eager to bite.  >:(

Thanks for the heads up

LP89CG

« Reply #460 on: September 12, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »

Where's some decent spots in chilliwack?

Not too familiar with spots, I just drove along the river and found a spot there was beach access

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #461 on: September 12, 2013, 10:37:53 PM »

Not too familiar with spots, I just drove along the river and found a spot there was beach access
Good answer! Yah bro, fish the faster stuff,you will be pleasantly surprised. ;)

eman

« Reply #462 on: September 12, 2013, 10:57:28 PM »

Chilliwack fishing? Google is your friend!   :D
http://www.fishchilliwack.com/default.aspx?PAGE_ID=43

Animal Chin

« Reply #463 on: September 12, 2013, 11:13:54 PM »

I use palomar on mono also now. And use albright knot for braid to mono connection, use braid to wrap around mono. Reverse albright is faster but is less reliable (when lures got snagged knot snapped faster but never on a fish)

Thanks I'll look into the albright. Thinking of using braid this year for float fishing coho.

Foul hooking is the freaking worst. I'm traumatized from the Squamish and I swear I was batting about 70%.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #464 on: September 13, 2013, 07:36:56 AM »

Fished the New West area yesterday from 5:30-7:00 with no luck. From 10-15 people fishing in that area I only saw 1 fish landed. Pretty frustrating season so far...