Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297601 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #675 on: September 18, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »

Fished the flood tide 3pm - 5pm at no.3 road pier. Watched a guy wrestle a 5'-6' sturgeon at the far end of the pier, he eventually snapped the line but I got some video of the beast as it surfaced - impressive size! Maybe I will post it to youtube. FN fishers were 20' from the dock at one point, overheard that their last set had one sockeye and two white springs as bycatch - not bad I guess. Plenty of fish jumping and rising all over the place, but alas, none for me. I have pretty much had it with this stupid tidal fraser pink fishery this year... really, really disappointing. Bring on the Coho!

I've been disappointed with the results for the pinks at the no. 3 pier area too, but I just purchased a one year tidal water license with the salmon stamp on Monday, so I won't be completely giving it up. I will try my luck in New West instead. Currently, I'm going back to my teenage passion of a serious fisherman again, but not too serious these days, more like enjoy the fresh air, be outdoors, and catch a fish or two. 

RyanB

« Reply #676 on: September 18, 2013, 09:43:10 PM »

Got a 21"/52cm male at Dyke Road tonight.  Five sea lice on him.  Pink croc, normal retrieve with some pauses.  Had another solid bite soon after but it didn't stick.

I simplified my setup and changed my timing on retrieves and it seems to be working well.

‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

SteelHunter

« Reply #677 on: September 18, 2013, 09:51:58 PM »

was at no3 rd 2-5 . croc dident worki so switched to buzz bomb and hooked into 4 only landed 1, my buddy took 2 also on buzz bomb 2inch pink.  they were light biters today and not many were landed.

Yes they very light biters , very strange for me at first but sure enough you pull and fish ON!

Yvrsilver

« Reply #678 on: September 18, 2013, 10:13:40 PM »

Was on the river in Richmond for 5 hours centered around high tide , saw zero schools move in , just the odd fin , who knows why it should be prime time

66TWH

« Reply #679 on: September 18, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »

Ran the boat out tonight to try a follow up to a successful time the previous night. Thought I had it dialed it with a killer lure BUT once again ........ the fish were unpredictable. Constant schools of fish passing thru the langley area so finding was not the issue. Had to work they the tackle box again and found that a 3" hot pink sting zelda was the one they wanted. I think if I had one size smaller, it would have been continuous hook ups.
Passed the rod over to my daughter a few times along with her own hooks up for a respectable 6 landed with many hits, misses and lost fish.
What will be the hot lure tomorrow  :-\

ktt

« Reply #680 on: September 18, 2013, 10:18:31 PM »

Yes they very light biters , very strange for me at first but sure enough you pull and fish ON!
If I find they bite lightly, I change my lure to one of a small size, sometimes I even use those that I use for small trout in Rice lake (I/16 oz). I find that this method has worked for me for the past two weeks.

bbwong

« Reply #681 on: September 18, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »

The boat almost sinking down, it must be loaded full of fishes.

Was bit slower last night compared to the other evening incoming tides.

I blame these guys, 20 of them rolled by fully loaded

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #682 on: September 18, 2013, 11:15:14 PM »

If I find they bite lightly, I change my lure to one of a small size, sometimes I even use those that I use for small trout in Rice lake (I/16 oz). I find that this method has worked for me for the past two weeks.

Those trout in rice lake didn't even strike my Blue Fox #2 size spinners because they were too big.

Tomorrow, I'll cast some trout sized lures and I'll come back with a report for my quest for pinks.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #683 on: September 18, 2013, 11:35:15 PM »

Sorry but your wrong, believe it or not that boat is empty, the seine has been turned {taken off the drum and re-stacked and is now in a what we call "Sunday Pile" and is ready to fish again. Seiners take their seines off the drum after every opening as they clean it and re-stack it so that they don't get any backlashes when setting it out at the next opening, this way it rolls off the stern when they set it for the first time, then it's set off the drum for the duration of the opening. If they don't fish again then they stack it on a big pallet and this way when they go to use it again it won't be arse backwards {bunt end on top}

When you see a seine boat that is full you'll really know it, this boat is called the "Ocean Cloud", it probably unloaded downtown and is now heading back to where it ties up. Waaay too much boat out of the water to be full, I guarantee it, I did this for decades {not that that matters, I'm just sayin.

It may have a bit of fish on it still {doubt it}but no way is it loaded.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:46:15 PM by Bently »

Jeff_

« Reply #684 on: September 18, 2013, 11:42:27 PM »

Hit up No 5 Rd this morning, just 1 male in the 3 hours I was there. Hopefully the closures of the seine fishery will bring the catch rate up. Awesome day to be out though so I can't really complain   ;D

SteelHunter

« Reply #685 on: September 18, 2013, 11:49:34 PM »

Hit up No 5 Rd this morning, just 1 male in the 3 hours I was there. Hopefully the closures of the seine fishery will bring the catch rate up. Awesome day to be out though so I can't really complain   ;D

Yeah tmmr action should be alot better now the commercials season is over. They where literally leaving nothing  :'(

Hoop71

« Reply #686 on: September 18, 2013, 11:54:08 PM »

Hit by the Dog Park near #4 road this am about 0700. Got a smallish male on the first cast then a few hits for the remainder of my time there (90 minutes).

Lots of fins and fish rising.

Going to switch it up and try for some rainbows tomorrow AM after work.

Yvrsilver

« Reply #687 on: September 19, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »

Hope the evening is better I saw nothing this morning south arm Richmond

htdub

« Reply #688 on: September 19, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »

THat one wasn't loaded compared to the other 20 boats that came in last couple of nights.

Hopefully things pickup on friday

Dude

« Reply #689 on: September 19, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »

Was out from 2pm-4pm in richmond.  there was fish around they kept rising but not as many as last few days, thats probably because the Native openings.  there was 3 boats right in front of where I was and they were hauling in pinks like crazy.  I hooked onto one lost it 2 feet from the shore when it decided to go for a jump.  One other guy caught one and everyone else got skunked.