Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 51

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259537 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2017, 09:05:20 AM »

There was an estimate released lately - it was for a return of 8 million. In 2015 the return was about 6 million IIRC though the pre-season estimate was about double.

BTW the estimates are based on fry out migration last year. They are highly variable since no information on actual ocean survival is collected until adults return. The pink return up north last year - I was in Haida Gwaii and the Skeena area was very low.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »

+100 more people at Furry creek  ;D

dobrolub

« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2017, 11:20:56 AM »

Last year's return was lower on the island as well

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »

Who posted about doom and gloom earlier in this thread...?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2017, 12:17:51 PM »

Probably helping to fix the GILL NETS for the COMMERCIALS & FIRST NATIONS.  Dont worry.... the DFO will make sure to CLOSE the FISHERY for SPORTSMAN, while maintaining the maximum openings for Commercial & First Nations.  Then they will spend their time advising "US" (Sport fishermen) on SUGGESTED Fishing techniques .... while the GILL NETS kill everything that moves.  Looking forward to another year of DFO RIDICULOUS POLICIES!

I think the divers are too busy counting fish to help fix gillnets.
Besides, a diver who is a fish counter (D-FC) is a different classification than a diver who is a gillnet repairer (D-GR).
The D-FC and the D-GR are two different classifications, and have a different pay grids, and there is no overlap in job responsibilities.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2017, 02:40:07 PM »

I'll have what he's having ^^^

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2017, 05:13:21 PM »

I heard they laid off the D-FC's.

Replaced by robotic drone dolphins that have cameras strapped to their heads.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »

I heard they laid off the D-FC's.

Replaced by robotic drone dolphins that have cameras strapped to their heads.

Close - it was seals, not dolphins.  They have sensors to count each fish they take a bite out of.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »

Still a few months away but any reports on the forecast or is it too early to even guess?

not sure if this has been posted but here is the pre-pre season forcast. Final version should come out late may

"Pink
 Northern BC: Information is not available.
 Southern BC: Fraser River pink salmon return in odd years, however, below average
returns are expected in 2017 based on fry outmigration from the Fraser River.
Opportunities for directed harvest will be based on in-season information. Local pink
abundances in other areas of Georgia Strait may provide opportunities for harvest. "

"Below average returns are expected in 2017 relative to the average of 13.4 million
(1959-2013). The 2015 brood year fry abundance for Fraser Pink Salmon (230
million) was half of the long-term average of 450 million fry (1975-2013). This CU
is comprised of 100% two year olds. (2015 Outlook Category was 4; 2016 Outlook
Category was ND)"

https://www.frafs.ca/sites/default/files2/Preliminary%202017%20Salmon%20Outlook%20Dec92016.pdf

Here is a report about ocean conditions

http://www.psc.org/download/33/psc-technical-reports/8132/psc-technical-report-no-37.pdf

5 Key messages
Although it is always difficult to generalize about salmon, a few key messages seemed to emerge from this
study:
• The ocean-climate events of 2014-2016, although extreme in the instrumental records and
widespread in the salmosphere, are likely to be ephemeral if this event is similar to what occurred
in 1997/98. It came and went without leaving permanent effects either positive or negative on
most salmon populations. The next one should occur around 2034.
• Where widespread changes (declines) in survival have occurred, as in salmon associated with the
Salish Sea, they began in the early 1990s and have persisted to the present. These are fundamental
changes that are not well understood but have lasting consequences.
• Extreme responses by salmon to ocean-climate extrema in 2015 and 2016 were coastwide and
diverse but varied among species and region. Some runs were the most abundant during the years
studied and some were the least abundant. More often than not, the salmon anomalies were in
behaviour as they navigated their way around the novel environment.
• Evidence of late-life mortality in salmon in the sea is relatively rare. Most of what occurred in the
last few years would have affected the juvenile salmon. Those with longer oceanic lives have yet to
“show their hand.” We have already seen the effects on pink salmon and coho salmon as they live
only one year at sea. Southeast Alaska pink salmon have been much below forecast for two years, as
was the case for the 2015 return to the Fraser River. Furthermore, the region-wide survival of coho
salmon in southern British Columbia was the lowest on record for the 2014 ocean entry year.
• On a more practical note, assembling a coast-wide perspective on ocean-climate environmental
variation and even developing new indices tailored to the salmosphere was easy. Doing the same
for salmon biology was not. The main difference is that agencies responsible for the former have
committed to collecting, organizing and distributing standard data products online to a diverse set
of clients in different regions/countries. It requires an interagency commitment that has yet to
occur in salmon biology, and may not be necessary if regional comparisons are not needed.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:26:33 PM by wildmanyeah »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2017, 12:20:57 PM »

What is the earliest that pinks begin showing up in local catches in the salt?  Late June?  July?  I just noticed this thread has been dead for a week so I thought I would bring it back.  I'm so bored with trout I can't bring myself to go fishing lately.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2017, 02:09:25 PM »

What is the earliest that pinks begin showing up in local catches in the salt?  Late June?  July?  I just noticed this thread has been dead for a week so I thought I would bring it back.  I'm so bored with trout I can't bring myself to go fishing lately.

End of July

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2017, 02:39:50 PM »

I've caught them in mid June  (nothing to write home about) while fishing for springs and Coho in The chuck(off the. Redcan) Incedental bycatch....
Or cast a mile or two and get Lucky...

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2017, 04:48:13 PM »

Howe sound pinks will come thru in numbers by July 22nd

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2017, 09:31:05 PM »

Nothing seen at furry creek in the past few days.

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »

I'm excited. Counting down the days now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 51