Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 258692 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2017, 09:51:05 PM »

up around Agassiz there was a landslide that blocked the Fraser about 6000 years ago. The river below was dry for a period of time. I had read speculation that may have been the cause - but who can say.

Yeah, I have read about that slide and have no doubt it happened … look at Mt Cheam and you can see it.  What I don’t get is pinks in rivers below this slide would not have been impacted, or negligibly, especially if they or their gametes were in their natal streams at the time.  Pinks are known to be probably the “straying-est” of all Pacific salmon …. gotta think after 5 or 6 thousand years they would have recovered to whatever they were.

Hey, just speculating … 

sugartooth

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2017, 10:12:33 PM »

Why upset the balance of nature?  If nature wanted pinks every year there would be pinks every year. Humans have done enough to screw up nature. Let it be. 
I for one hate pink years. It brings out some of the worst fishing ethics. I certainly don't need to see fish dragged up on the beach then kicked back into the river every year.

banx

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2017, 06:25:01 AM »

well nature wanted pinks everywhere else except the lower mainland it appears.

I believe that if there was a pink run every year it would calm down the greed, and you'd be less likely to see the crap your describing.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2017, 06:32:59 AM »

I for one hate pink years. It brings out some of the worst fishing ethics. I certainly don't need to see fish dragged up on the beach then kicked back into the river every year.
By that rationale we should stop stocking chum everywhere.
I find that Pink fishers are better behaved than the average. Go to the Richmond dikes in September and you see families having a good time, everyone catching fish using ethical methods. There are way more people enjoying the fishery there than those snaggin 'n draggin on the Vedder.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2017, 10:45:22 AM »

I find that Pink fishers are better behaved than the average. Go to the Richmond dikes in September and you see families having a good time, everyone catching fish using ethical methods. There are way more people enjoying the fishery there than those snaggin 'n draggin on the Vedder.

No way you can snag a fish on Richmond dikes. If snagging was possible, there would be someone snag

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »

Why upset the balance of nature?  If nature wanted pinks every year there would be pinks every year. Humans have done enough to screw up nature. Let it be. 

I have read a bunch of books from 1850 to 1950 you would be surprised at how many small systems did not have salmon or did not have money salmon in them. Yes humans have devastated stocks but have also enhanced lots of streams that never even had Chum,Coho,Chinook runs.  I am sure you probably heard about the legendary fishing that took place for Exbo 86. When the government pumped tonnes of money into hatcheries in the years before (sent water bombers to seed harrison lake ext...).

I believe they did also introduce a successful run of pinks in the indian arm as well tho i cant find anything on it

sugartooth

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »

well nature wanted pinks everywhere else except the lower mainland it appears.

I believe that if there was a pink run every year it would calm down the greed, and you'd be less likely to see the crap your describing.

No nature doesn't want pinks everywhere every year except in the lower mainland. The kitimat river where I grew up only has them every other year and same with rivers in Washington state.
There is no greed in the crap that I'm describing. It's a lack of respect for the fish. People snagging fish off their reds , dragging them 10 feet up the beach ,  stepping on them to hold them down so they can get their hook out of its back and then kicking them back into the river.

Yes I am talking about the vedder. What happens along the tidal portion of the Fraser is tolerable.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2017, 11:07:26 AM »

GordJ, recover from what?  Salmonids of various species spawn every year so I can't see even year pinks being a problem.  They are, imo, the perfect coastal fish in that all they need (in very basic terms) is decent water flows, decent gravel, and a functioning estuary.

Dave do you have any idea why salmon are not better adapted for warmer waters. With a birth cycled of every 2 years, that's 50 generations in a 100 years. Do they not have a very manipulative genome?

GordJ

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2017, 11:12:25 AM »

GordJ, recover from what?  Salmonids of various species spawn every year so I can't see even year pinks being a problem.  They are, imo, the perfect coastal fish in that all they need (in very basic terms) is decent water flows, decent gravel, and a functioning estuary.
I am assuming that different fish spawn in different places at different times. The springs with their 4/5 year cycle have dominant runs which allow insect, gravel and plant life time to recover, both in the ocean and river. The pinks would spawn in different areas and cause depletions of different resources. Same goes for the other species (or strains or whatever coho and chum and sockeye are). This isn't an educated assertion, just a finely honed theory that I pulled out of somewhere near my back pocket.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2017, 11:23:52 AM »

Dave do you have any idea why salmon are not better adapted for warmer waters. With a birth cycled of every 2 years, that's 50 generations in a 100 years. Do they not have a very manipulative genome?
I think you would have to ask a fish physiologist that question.

banx

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2017, 12:42:11 PM »

No nature doesn't want pinks everywhere every year except in the lower mainland. The kitimat river where I grew up only has them every other year and same with rivers in Washington state.
There is no greed in the crap that I'm describing. It's a lack of respect for the fish. People snagging fish off their reds , dragging them 10 feet up the beach ,  stepping on them to hold them down so they can get their hook out of its back and then kicking them back into the river.

Yes I am talking about the vedder. What happens along the tidal portion of the Fraser is tolerable.

the kitimat river has pinks every year man. they were especially abundant in the 90's.... I am from there as well, and fished it for 25+ years before moving to vancouver. still fish it yearly when I visit family..... So not sure why your saying that? maybe your quite a bit older than me and this was occurring in the 60' and 70's? maybe the run was just tiny? I literally grew up on hirsch creek, I lived on smith st..... I caught pink, chum, springs and coho every year since I was 10 there.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »

Blair,. I don't see the doom and gloom in this thread which is titled "pink run 2017" I see projections and theories with a few other things thrown in.
Maybe you enjoy the Zoo that some areas become.
Although you are right about most being well behaved and having fun there are exceptions and unfortunately they stand out in the crowds.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2017, 01:03:13 PM »

Yet another THREAD has been hijacked by the DOOM & GLOOM idiots.

It started off with some nice pics of Kids enjoying the Pink Fishery.
It developed into a wonderful conversation of stocking.

Then the NEGATIVE PROPAGANDA "Fishermen" (Traitors) jumped on board to tell us about how miserable the fishery is. Full of Snaggers and Loogans.  Cant go anywhere without encountering the atrocities that lurk around every corner. (Sarcasm)

It gets tiring listening to these IDIOTS comment on how horrible things are.  They paint a picture of a MINORITY FEW ... being representative of the entire fishing community.  They offer suggestions of more regulations, restrictions, less access and more elitism.  No one else can possibly understand or follow their standards.

BUNCH of BS!  Go Away .... quit filling the Post with your pathetic whinning.

I went fishing to Mamquam, Squamish, West Van. Furry Creek and the Veddar.
Didnt seem to run into the MAYHEM that these TRAITOR FISHERMEN want us to believe.

Encountered the VAST MAJORITY OF FISHERMEN having a good time enjoying the sport!
Fishing for pinks is extremely fun! I love taking out people who have never fished before and they have a blast catching pinks. I do however see terrible ethics everywhere I go on the lower vedder its pretty bad in certain spots.

For example look at some of these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CknWashZVvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWgD45vpEG8

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2017, 03:48:58 PM »

Any idea why no-one has considered introducing pink fry (from the island's even year run) into the Squish and other systems to kickstart and even year run of pinks over here.  Is it concern over upsetting existing runs of other species during the even years?

It seams odd to me that there is no even run, here, but there is on the Island.  Does anyone know or have a theory why this happened.  Normally nature abhors a vacuum or empty niche, and while you can catch the very occasional pink in even years in the Vedder etc, they have never established a big run?
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=17758.msg170557#msg170557

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »

FWIW I have seen pinks spawning in 3 different rivers in between North Vancouver and Squamish during even years.  No idea if they were strays or perhaps small even year runs exist.