Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297533 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #510 on: September 13, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »

You really cannot blame the lack of hook up on the nets.  The fish are there, just not biting at times. Every year is the same as people spend June and July saying how easy it is to catch pinks (you don't need to use pink lures as they are really aggressive and will hit just about anything).  After hearing and reading posts like that for months you are bound to feel disappointed when the fish decide they are just not going to bite (pink or not, they are still fish).  You can certainly be worried about the impact these nets targeting a heathy pink run are going to have on other more fragile stocks, but don't blame them for your inability to hook four pinks on every outing. As for what the commies are doing with all the pinks they catch, the vast majority of pink salmon are canned.
Not all those who wander are lost

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #511 on: September 13, 2013, 10:11:21 PM »

For those who have fished Derby Reach, can I park right on the shoreline in those RV spots? 

thanks

You would have I check with the host, but I believe you have to pay to use those sites.
Not all those who wander are lost

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #512 on: September 13, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »

Was fishing at Surrey from 3 to 7:30PM. No major schools of fish at all the entire time. Very few fish rising and hook ups were far and few in between. Many skunked rods again. Strangely saw some fish heading down river instead and these don't bite much. Yesterday we saw a lot more fish charging down river towards the ocean. What to make of this behaviour of the pinks? Are they fish who happen to enter the wrong river and after going up to the fresh water decide that it is the wrong river? They were not milling around, they just swim fast downstream with the outgoing flow. Anybody with an explanation?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:17:04 PM by liketofish »

bunnta

« Reply #513 on: September 13, 2013, 10:20:23 PM »

milling around.......or have a seal chasing them around. don't the school of fish swim in an odd pattern? they don't always swim straight up. least when i looked at furry creek's pink. they swim in weird direction

RyanB

« Reply #514 on: September 13, 2013, 10:26:21 PM »

I was fishing Dyke Road from 5 pm to 7:30 pm.  No bites on lures and jigs.  I saw two fish rise in that time, both were over 100 feet away from me. 
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #515 on: September 13, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »

Not milling around or frantic dashes by seal. They moved in large schoola surfacing all over the place for 30 minutes yesterday and they were definitely heading down river as all the fish went in one downstream direction. Some folks there joked that the fish either found out they are in the wrong river, or that as they get up river more the hot interior water scare them so they charge out to sea again to wait for a better time to go up again.

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #516 on: September 14, 2013, 01:05:13 AM »

is it safe enough for me to take out my inflatable boat with oars onto the mouth of the Vedder? I have a float tube aswell and was wondering where i can go to fish for salmon on the fly off a tube or boat to get away from the crowd.

Yvrsilver

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #518 on: September 14, 2013, 06:51:15 AM »

is it safe enough for me to take out my inflatable boat with oars onto the mouth of the Vedder? I have a float tube aswell and was wondering where i can go to fish for salmon on the fly off a tube or boat to get away from the crowd.

IMHO you should not be anywhere in the non tidal portion of the Fraser River without a power motor, 9.9 minimum hp, it's just too risky. Tidal portions like around Derby Reach where the water is a lot more slower may be okay as I've seen guys with small inflatables out there many times without problems.

Float tubes are for lakes and maybe quite bays in the ocean but no way would I have a tube on the Fraser, it's just asking for trouble.

Just my opinion, others may vary, have fun and be safe.

Bently

Abu

« Reply #519 on: September 14, 2013, 08:00:02 AM »

Went out this morning to south Richmond, around 6:30am, saw a couple of fish surface but that's it. It's really low tide so I did some treasure hunting while there and fishing is non productive. Heading out to north arm to give it a shot.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #520 on: September 14, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »

in delta. 6 am to present. 3 fish surfaced. 2 on, 1 lost, by two different guys. tough fishing. time to head back home and get back into bed I think. playing poker till 2 (losing), then up at 5 with no fish makes for a grumpy Dan
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #521 on: September 14, 2013, 09:14:33 AM »

No, it is not safe! You will not get away from any crowds using your inflatable or float tube on the Vedder. It is possible to hike into secluded spots on weekdays so far this pink yr and fish from shore with no one around.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:17:02 AM by Dennis.t »

Yvrsilver

« Reply #522 on: September 14, 2013, 09:44:49 AM »

7am to 9;30am south arm , not a fin not a jump not even a seal , tide was running out pretty good so I mixed it up went old school pink worm under a float in a very large holding area not even a bite well other then one heron trying to take my float  :o

Abu

« Reply #523 on: September 14, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »

Went out this morning to south Richmond, around 6:30am, saw a couple of fish surface but that's it. It's really low tide so I did some treasure hunting while there and fishing is non productive. Heading out to north arm to give it a shot.
UPDATE: went to north arm, no action. will try again at south during incoming tide. Morning was not a waste though...between me and a buddy we found 15+ lures  ;D Score!!, Sad part was about 5-6 of the lures had un-pinched barbs and the 2 buzz bombs I found had Triple hooks on them  >:(.
Good luck everyone! :D

bbwong

« Reply #524 on: September 14, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »

Fished at New West from 8:00am - 10:00am. DEAD! :'(