Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297531 times)

Abu

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »

Your friends or the fish ? ;D Sorry couldn't resist

;D lol,  I really need to work on my descriptions when putting them in writing.

robbyvanz

« Reply #211 on: September 05, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »

yeah the lightening down at No 5 was no more than 100 yards out.  Never heard anything that loud before.  I thought my windows on my car were going to shatter.  Got out of there around 6, with probably 20+ people still fishing.

sumasriver

« Reply #212 on: September 05, 2013, 08:35:10 PM »

Why would anyone fish in a lightning storm ?  Life is precious.  Never put your life at risk whether it is lighning or wading deep across current.   Live to fish another day.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #213 on: September 05, 2013, 09:01:08 PM »

Why would anyone fish in a lightning storm ?  Life is precious.  Never put your life at risk whether it is lighning or wading deep across current.   Live to fish another day.

Exactly, it's bad enough driving in the torrential downpour and lightning storm let alone standing next to a river holding a lightning rod.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #214 on: September 05, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »

Gah - well thanks for saving me the walk! Got some others on their way from eBay but have no idea if and when they will get here.

Had lots at Langley last weekend
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

dwsk

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #215 on: September 05, 2013, 09:24:30 PM »

2 in two hours this morning and 3 in two hours saturday. Lost a few as well. All on spoons

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2013, 09:46:23 PM »

fished for 2 hours this morning, 1/4oz crocs are too heavy for where i'm fishing, feeling the spoon hit fish, but they arent hitting it since my retrieve is a little to quick to keep it from dragging on the bottom. fish are usually surfacing 5-10 at a time non stop now where i'm fishing, quite a few nice ones, but nothing wants to play.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2013, 10:23:43 PM »

fished for 2 hours this morning, 1/4oz crocs are too heavy for where i'm fishing, feeling the spoon hit fish, but they arent hitting it since my retrieve is a little to quick to keep it from dragging on the bottom. fish are usually surfacing 5-10 at a time non stop now where i'm fishing, quite a few nice ones, but nothing wants to play.

Same here the other day when we saw big schools of fish rolled by. Lasted for half an hour but none wanted to touch anything, including spoons, buzz bombs, even flies. Perhaps they had been 'nuked' by the Japanese tsunami radioactive leakage to alter their aggressive gene. LOL.

SteelHunter

« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2013, 11:11:51 PM »

I got into about a dozen fish yesterday.

Let your lure hit bottom.  Slow retrieve.  Seems like the pinks were just mouthing the lure. No real hit at all.  Just feeling tension on the retrieve.   All were hooked in the top or bottom of the mouth.

Very strange this year. They are definately not striking hard .

I was fishing No.5 Road with a buddy from 2-7pm. The Fishing was very slow all day and nothing really rolling around much during the incoming high tide. I had only 2 brief hookups and my buddy lost 1 nice pink. Then we where in for a show and was surprised by a Lighting strike right across the river from no.5 road. After the close call with mother nature my hair felt like it was standing up and also felt a really good wave a energy and loudest thunder i ever heard before . I wanted to leave but thought about traffic heading back into Vancouver and thought id rather die fishing in a wicked storm then have to endure that traffic lmao lol !

Fish seemed spooked cause of the lighting today , most hookups where slow retrieve near the bottom count to 10 and slowly reel it and produced some bites . I landed a pea-mouth chub pretty fat one it was a surprise.....?

Most of the time when i was fishing I would feel alot of little taps or light tension . I wasn't sure if it was rock of bottom but most of time it when i set the hook it was a fish there . Really odd considering this is my first year on tidal Fraser for pinks I wasn't sure if you would feel it really hard but most of time its really soft. Very Odd....!?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:22:58 PM by SteelHunter »

Ambassador

« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2013, 12:38:04 AM »

Like the rest of you, I am pretty excited for the big numbers to make their way into the Fraser so I can get out there before and after work. Been scoping out a few possible spots in the New West/South Burnaby area that I am gonna hit.
Had a great long weekend hitting 3 different spots:
* Fraser at #5 Saturday - no hits but a few jumpers just outside striking range. The guy beside me landed a beauty on his first cast - but he was the only one to have any luck.
* Squamish River on Sunday in my new O S Systems waders - love them! Wasnt sure about the latex booties but they were perfect with a pair of snowboard socks beneath them. Caught a monster pink (biggest fish ever on my rod) that I was praying was by the mouth, but alas I got him by the hump. Released him gently and he had plenty of energy to get back to the deep. Plenty of zombie pinks floating around everywhere and lots of people snagging by tails and humps. Some nice ones coming out - but not on my rod. Helped the guy beside me untangle a weighted line he snagged - that had a fish on the other end! I reeled him in by hand and released him back in the water without the anchor attached to his face. That was pretty cool. He is going upstream and will spawn so I can catch his kids in 2015.
* Then to Furry Creek Sunday. Furry was the best with 1 nice female landed and 3 others that I lost right at the beach (still a bit green and a little keen...) 2" Pink Buzzbomb with #4 hook was working for me. Low tide was also a treat as I found 4 buzz bombs, 2 spoons, a Zzinger and a hoochie. Pays to look down! Also saw 3 Killer whales come up for air as they were making their way towards Squamish. Pure awesome.

Great company, great locations, and delicious fish. What more could one ask out of a long weekend!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

robbyvanz

« Reply #220 on: September 06, 2013, 02:07:32 AM »

Anyone know of any spots where you can fish on Annacis Island?  Where is the beach Rod was talking about?

Riverboy888

« Reply #221 on: September 06, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »

I might be corrected but based on Rods videos, "the beach" refers to dump bar or further down dyke road in Richmond.

eman

« Reply #222 on: September 06, 2013, 11:41:44 AM »

came out to fish Richmond South Fraser today between 8-10 am, at the end of No.3 road in Richmond, about 20 fishermen, I got skunked, and 18 other peeps, 2 fish caught and landed in a 2 hour gap by 2 different other guys. We saw some jumpers and I saw 3 surface about 8-10 feet in front of me, but no biters, not even a nibble.  :-[

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #223 on: September 06, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »

Anywhere lower than Chilliwack will be hit & miss until the commercial fishery has ended or cut back.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #224 on: September 06, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »

Went out to Dyke road close to No.4 at around 12:30 to 1:30. Saw some jumpers and a few finning close to shore. Caught 1 in the first 30 minutes on a pink blade weighted spinner with slow retrieve. Nothing after that.