Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canada - China Trade Deal  (Read 23047 times)

absolon

• Old Timer
Re: Canada - China Trade Deal
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 10:57:35 PM »

No i just had to point out that 50 years ago it wasn't better. Sadly 50 years ago racism was something that was quite common so i had to bring out the "race" card. If you want to put it in Canadian terms, then Canadians now are better off than 50 years ago. My posts just state the "facts" of what reality is like, and for most of the people saying that it was better off 50 years ago are probably not immigrants, women, or anything outside the "main society" of those times. The fact that history was like that in the past disgusts me and i'm glad that the world has evolved since then.
No doubt your life greatly improved with the opportunities afforded to you when you immigrated here some 20 years ago and no doubt you are now considerably better off than you were 50 years ago but your experience is not representative of life here. The reality is that you haven't a clue what life was like here 50 years ago. You weren't here and you didn't experience it and thus you are in no position to make judgments on whether it was better or not.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:31:17 PM by absolon »

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2012, 11:31:13 PM »

No doubt your life greatly improved with the opportunities afforded to you when you immigrated here some 20 years ago and no doubt you are now considerably better off than you were 50 years ago but your experience is not representative of life here 50 years back. The reality is that you haven't a clue what life was like here 50 years ago. You weren't here and you didn't experience it and thus you are in no position to make judgments on whether it was better or not.

Yes i admit I never experienced life 50 years ago here. But its a fact that 50 years ago life for most was not as good as they are today....

Nice update: 

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/union-fights-influx-of-chinese-miners-in-b-c-court-1.1076651
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:37:32 PM by Ed »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »

That may well be on a global basis, but it is not the case for Canadian society, and it is Canadian society that the original comment applied to.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2012, 01:05:07 AM »

Ed, you are a juvenile.

Government doesn't generate revenue.
They collect your money and waste a lot of it. Then throw you a bone to make you wag your tail.

No nothing makes slavery ok, but don't keep bitching that the whites are the only ones at fault for the slave trade.

During the 12 century asian hordes raped and pillaged Europe, took slaves, killed people, raped women.
But I don't keep bringing it up and blaming the mongols for my shitty state of affairs.
Up until the 19th century asian hordes were controlling a good chunk of europe, but I don't keep throwing it in their face.
It doesn't matter any more.
Get a clue!

When people are talking about life here, they mean here. Not in africa, not in asia. In North America and Europe. We don't know, in reality, what life was like in China. We can know that only from books and stories.
Life was better 50 years ago for the majority "here".
The wage inequalities were not as great and opportunities were numerous.
We may have iphones but we don't have freedom and we don't have resources.
Population has doubled in 50 years.
Most people don't understand it, but population growth has brought on most of the problems we face today.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:07:08 AM by adriaticum »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2012, 09:30:24 AM »

Life was better 50 years ago for the majority "here".......

....... its a fact that 50 years ago life for most was not as good as they are today....

I think you guys are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.....

First, the answer is very subjective and unless you lived more than 50 years I don't know how you can comment on it.

Technology and medical care are much better today without a doubt. Life stresses are probably greater today than they were 50 years ago however technology has improved our ability to earn a living and feed ourselves. Crime and drug abuse is greater today while the ability to communicate withe each other is ten fold over what it was 50 years ago.

I was around 50 years ago and I believe over all life is better for me today than it was 50 years ago....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »

That may well be on a global basis, but it is not the case for Canadian society, and it is Canadian society that the original comment applied to.

Yes I agree with that, but i'm curious what do you mean by Canadian society? Were the immigrants that were here 50 years ago also experiencing the good life, same as the majority that are praising the past? If you mean Canadian society as in the middle class white man (not being racist as this term is used throughout university textbooks), than I agree it was better.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2012, 03:19:07 PM »

Ed, you are a juvenile.

Government doesn't generate revenue.
They collect your money and waste a lot of it. Then throw you a bone to make you wag your tail.

No nothing makes slavery ok, but don't keep bitching that the whites are the only ones at fault for the slave trade.

During the 12 century asian hordes raped and pillaged Europe, took slaves, killed people, raped women.
But I don't keep bringing it up and blaming the mongols for my shitty state of affairs.
Up until the 19th century asian hordes were controlling a good chunk of europe, but I don't keep throwing it in their face.
It doesn't matter any more.
Get a clue!

When people are talking about life here, they mean here. Not in africa, not in asia. In North America and Europe. We don't know, in reality, what life was like in China. We can know that only from books and stories.
Life was better 50 years ago for the majority "here".
The wage inequalities were not as great and opportunities were numerous.
We may have iphones but we don't have freedom and we don't have resources.
Population has doubled in 50 years.
Most people don't understand it, but population growth has brought on most of the problems we face today.

You may be old but your knowledge/education definetley is stuck in the past as well! Textbooks today are a lot more educational and contexts have also changed a lot since 50 years ago. Government do generate revenue because they have the manage the land that they have sovereignty over. In some cases where the governments are really bad, for example in Asia or in Africa, people tend to suffer more. It's hard to say that any government is perfect but i'm pretty glad with what we got.

Slavery has been around for ages, but European colonies were the ones that exploited it to the max with consideration of the technology during that period of time. It's hard for you to blame the mongols right now, when their countries is quite under developed and people are mainly living rural lifestyles. But its ok because soon the European economies will crash because they dont have any more slaves or colonies to exploit.

Like i said in my earlier post, if you mean by the majority people (middle class white man) than sure it was probably better. But it sounds pretty selfish to me that you are complaining that things aren't as good now when everybody in Canada (immigrants etc) have improved their life. If you ask an immigrant 50 years ago that lived in Canada, than I'm sure they would say life is better now! Its understandable that you are thinking greedy because now you dont have as big of a chunk of the pie!  Kids like pie and even old people do !

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2012, 03:20:51 PM »

I think you guys are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.....

First, the answer is very subjective and unless you lived more than 50 years I don't know how you can comment on it.

Technology and medical care are much better today without a doubt. Life stresses are probably greater today than they were 50 years ago however technology has improved our ability to earn a living and feed ourselves. Crime and drug abuse is greater today while the ability to communicate withe each other is ten fold over what it was 50 years ago.

I was around 50 years ago and I believe over all life is better for me today than it was 50 years ago....

I agree with this post, this is subjective and relative to the person. If you like nature than 50 years ago was probably better, but if you prefer technology over the environment, life is defenetly better now with the internet, and other technological advancements!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »

I agree with this post, this is subjective and relative to the person. If you like nature than 50 years ago was probably better, but if you prefer technology over the environment, life is defenetly better now with the internet, and other technological advancements!

See this is the problem.
Who would ever prefer technology over environment.

I am a tech guy.

Ed

• I'm a llama!

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2012, 10:24:17 AM »

Ed, I'm curious why you came to Canada.It's quite obvious you seem to believe white Canadians are akin to the devil as you've made clear in your posts. Did you come for a better life? How can that be when you cheer on Chinese workers and Canadian resources being exploited?  Is it OK to drag down workers here to support off shore state owned companies that do the exploitation? Most CANADIANS came here for the freedoms and the ability to live a good life and earn a good living, yet you seem to think eroding those basic tenets is A-OK. I'm just mystified as to how that works. Would you be kind enough to explain that to me and the others that see as I can't quite figure out what you're trying to convey.
http://

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »

Ed, I'm curious why you came to Canada.It's quite obvious you seem to believe white Canadians are akin to the devil as you've made clear in your posts. Did you come for a better life? How can that be when you cheer on Chinese workers and Canadian resources being exploited?  Is it OK to drag down workers here to support off shore state owned companies that do the exploitation? Most CANADIANS came here for the freedoms and the ability to live a good life and earn a good living, yet you seem to think eroding those basic tenets is A-OK. I'm just mystified as to how that works. Would you be kind enough to explain that to me and the others that see as I can't quite figure out what you're trying to convey.

This post is about Canadian - China Trade deal, and not about personal lives therefore I dont find it neccesary for me to explain why I came to Canada. I dont cheer on the fact that Chinese workers are coming to Canada, but its just the sad truth because most of the miners in Canada are expecting to get paid a really high salary. Also a big portion of these miners that are being paid this excess salary end up using it on drugs (i said big portion and not all so learn how to read). Its more of a wake up call to the local workers that if they aren't willing to work then someone else will. Labour Unions are one of the biggest factors in creating an inefficient labour force. It was one thing to fight for basic needs and now its ridiculous that unions are extorting their power to employers. There was a case in the USA recently that a bunch of truck drivers that went on strike and the company pretty much hired new workers so some members of the union lost their jobs. In my opinion, its too bad for those union members.... tough luck! Nobody's fault because they went on strike when they are easily replaceable.

PS. I contribute enough to Canada having a good 43% or so of my income getting taxed! How much taxes do you pay Novabonker?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2012, 10:57:17 AM »

This post is about Canadian - China Trade deal, and not about personal lives therefore I dont find it neccesary for me to explain why I came to Canada. I dont cheer on the fact that Chinese workers are coming to Canada, but its just the sad truth because most of the miners in Canada are expecting to get paid a really high salary. Also a big portion of these miners that are being paid this excess salary end up using it on drugs (i said big portion and not all so learn how to read). Its more of a wake up call to the local workers that if they aren't willing to work then someone else will. Labour Unions are one of the biggest factors in creating an inefficient labour force. It was one thing to fight for basic needs and now its ridiculous that unions are extorting their power to employers. There was a case in the USA recently that a bunch of truck drivers that went on strike and the company pretty much hired new workers so some members of the union lost their jobs. In my opinion, its too bad for those union members.... tough luck! Nobody's fault because they went on strike when they are easily replaceable.

PS. I contribute enough to Canada having a good 43% or so of my income getting taxed! How much taxes do you pay Novabonker?

Simply put - you find it fine for yourself to make a good living, but screw the people that actually have a dirty , dangerous job. And erode Canadian standards that many have worked and toiled generations , or in some cases, years to establish by bringing in cheap offshore labour.I think you're not a very good example of a Canadian and don't espouse Canadian values. Unless you work for my accountant or you're CRA agent, my taxes are none of your business.

So - are you working right now or sluffing off on the bosses nickel?
http://

brownmancheng

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »

I thought the whole reasoning behind exploiting our resources is its good for the economy. Not so a few foreign owned companies get rich and some temporary foreign workers make a buck. Good wages for Canadians is good Bc they go out and spend supporting other local businesses. If canadians spend it on drugs. What do Chinese spend on? Gambling?  I am partly indocanadian so don't give me good wage I will waste it on curry. :)