Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canada - China Trade Deal  (Read 22951 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Canada - China Trade Deal
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2012, 11:05:15 AM »

Mining is dangerous work. Perhaps in the case of the Chinese workers, they weigh the risk/reward aspect of the job differently than Canadians do.... and that's why Chinese workers have been hired over Canadians.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »

--Just to be clear.... I am not concerned if the site is union or non union only that the workers get the protection of Canadian safety and labour laws.
--In some instances non union shops actually have faster resolve through courts that do not restrict settlement amounts etc. In a union shop settlement options are limited by the contract.

--I've worked in forestry most of my life and have only been on a few mining sites... mainly doing reclamation work or inspections.
--It is the culture of the company and its workers not whether it is union or not. I don't like workers being taken advantage of by unions or companies... and am certainly open to criticizing unions when they deserve it... In my view unions can and do become abusive when the workers get lazy and don't participate thus allowing the Union officials to dictate.

--The original topic China Trade deal..... as per usual Government told us it was great but it seems the Devil is in the details ... so they were naive as to the consequences or sold us a line of bull. As this federal government is always telling us how smart they are (and I believe them)  I find it difficult be believe they were naive to the consequences. 

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »

--I would hope that people are just mixing these words without malice ... the people coming to work at this mine are coming under temp work permits thus will leave when the job is over.
--Immigrants come here to stay and become Canadians.

--Canadian workers also travel... especially in the mining industry to many other parts of the world some with the intent to return to Canada others to be adopted by their new country... we expect our workers to be treated fairly in these other countries.

--We beak off about human rights in China then allow the exploitation of these same workers when they come to Canada...Some say they are better off coming here and have much better working conditions than then do in China... I don't care if they are less exploited here.. they should not be exploited at all in Canada... we should be setting an example to the world and practice what we preach.

Totally agree with your point, it would just be sad if this whole thing is about "china" and not temp workers in general. Foreign companies have owned some of our companies for many years now and only until recent have issues been escalated.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:43:08 PM by Ed »

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »

--Just to be clear.... I am not concerned if the site is union or non union only that the workers get the protection of Canadian safety and labour laws.
--In some instances non union shops actually have faster resolve through courts that do not restrict settlement amounts etc. In a union shop settlement options are limited by the contract.

--I've worked in forestry most of my life and have only been on a few mining sites... mainly doing reclamation work or inspections.
--It is the culture of the company and its workers not whether it is union or not. I don't like workers being taken advantage of by unions or companies... and am certainly open to criticizing unions when they deserve it... In my view unions can and do become abusive when the workers get lazy and don't participate thus allowing the Union officials to dictate.

--The original topic China Trade deal..... as per usual Government told us it was great but it seems the Devil is in the details ... so they were naive as to the consequences or sold us a line of bull. As this federal government is always telling us how smart they are (and I believe them)  I find it difficult be believe they were naive to the consequences. 

Unions have definetly changed over the years. I'm sure they were originally intended to protect workers from horrid work conditions but now it's another method of making $$$ off people. Thanks to unions or associations.... there is no hockey for us this year!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »

I'm pretty sure China is going to have a lot of union supporters when they get wind of the lousy wages they are getting while watching the mandarins get rich. ;D That new leader is already trying to stop the corruption.

just some of the guff you can get from the net.

http://www.alternet.org/story/154402/chinese_workers_demanding_better_wages,_conditions,_real_union_protections
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:43:11 PM by troutbreath »
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »

Who knows....  maybe the Chinese mine workers in BC will invite the union into that mine. Once a union is collecting their dues from the workers it will probably be the end of the negative press for the mine.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »

I'm pretty sure China is going to have a lot of union supporters when they get wind of the lousy wages they are getting while watching the mandarins get rich. ;D That new leader is already trying to stop the corruption.

just some of the guff you can get from the net.

http://www.alternet.org/story/154402/chinese_workers_demanding_better_wages,_conditions,_real_union_protections

Actually in China 90% are "Han" culture whether or not they speak mandarin or cantonese. Unions would never happen in China because there will always be someone there to take the job if workers decided to go on strike. Stopping corruption has been a thing in China for a while now, I'm pretty sure the new leader has been involved in corruption as well. His dad marched with Mao before 1949 (establishment of China) so his family background contributed to his position today. In China the new leader is considered a "princeling" and his friends around him are also "princelings" (son of a high politician that served under Mao).

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2012, 09:24:38 PM »

http://

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2012, 10:45:30 PM »

But WAIT! There's MORE!

http://www.cknw.com/news/vancouver/story.aspx?ID=1848402

Funny thing is unions are probably one of the contributing factors of why mining companies want to hire foreign workers. Originally their purpose was to help workers with their jobs, now they are helping their workers lose their jobs.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »

Unions would never happen in China because there will always be someone there to take the job if workers decided to go on strike.

That's a ridiculous statement.
I'm sure there was a white guy 100 years ago in the US that said the same thing.
Where ever there is labour and injustice, people will organize in some way.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2012, 11:21:47 PM »

That's a ridiculous statement.
I'm sure there was a white guy 100 years ago in the US that said the same thing.
Where ever there is labour and injustice, people will organize in some way.

100 years ago USA didn't have 1.3 billion people and a 700 million work force. Also communism governments also function a little different towards social "organization", usually the numbers get overwhelming.....