Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canada - China Trade Deal  (Read 22954 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
Re: Canada - China Trade Deal
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »

Yes,yes sell every thing we have,sell CP rail, sell CN rail,sell BC hydro,sell shark fin soup,sell all the resources we have and end up nothing for the future......freaking people.

We might have some problems with the current economy if it wasn't for us "selling our resources". We have quite of bit of public expenditures which makes Canada such an appealing place to live, but the government needs to pay for it one way or another. Also with the baby boomers starting to become "seniors" there is a lot of tax pressures on the current working population. The USA has been investing in our resources/companies for years and I haven't seen even close as much complaints. At the end of the day is it about selling the resources or selling it to China?

Joey

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »

We might have some problems with the current economy if it wasn't for us "selling our resources". We have quite of bit of public expenditures which makes Canada such an appealing place to live, but the government needs to pay for it one way or another. Also with the baby boomers starting to become "seniors" there is a lot of tax pressures on the current working population. The USA has been investing in our resources/companies for years and I haven't seen even close as much complaints. At the end of the day is it about selling the resources or selling it to China?

Is the same as losing all your equity and the baby boomers has to borrow to live and end up nothing to left to sell.....what than?

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

50 years ago we were better off. The economy was booming, living wages that allowed a single income to support a family were the norm rather than the exception, less concentration of wealth and income at the top meant that the benefits of society were shared and resulted in more social cohesion and the probability that the next generation would be better off than the current generation was real instead of an illusion.

Mind you, we didn't have big screen TVs, iPhones, monster houses and automobiles that do everything except wipe your bottom nor did we have a society financed with debt and dependent on increases in that debt to finance continuing economic growth. Nor did we have a political system that served business interests rather than the interests of society as a whole.

Being better off involves a whole lot more than just high levels of consumption.

100%
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »

Government doesn't pay for anything.
Government doesn't have any money.
Government doesn't make any money.
They don't produce anything.
People need to get the government out of their heads.

It's about selling access to resources, it doesn't matter who they are selling it to.
And about selling the land resources we use to private insterests so that we can't use them any more.
China is just the biggest problem of many problems, because they are a huge economy and consume resource on a large scale.
For example, if we cut down all the trees in BC to supply Chinese housing market a few people in the lumber industry would make tonnes of money for a while.
But then we would all be poor and those with money would move to somewhere where there are still trees.
Most of the ecological collapses were due to some idiot getting the idea that they can make huge money by supplying a large demand for a resource somewhere.

Problem of today is that we are so connected and there is always a demand for something somewhere.
Resource management is the key.
Those who consume and lay destruction to their on land should die with it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:26:39 PM by adriaticum »

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »

you need to check on who ownes the US companies that are/were investing in Canada, you will find that they more often than not are owned by

huge investement companies or trusts ie: blackwater and the dead ends you find with their upper management/board.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Joey

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 12:06:31 PM »

China needs every thing and next is India.
The Chinese working population is more than 250 million,the total population of USA is 250 million people.So the Chinese must buy every thing in the world.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »

No i just had to point out that 50 years ago it wasn't better. Sadly 50 years ago racism was something that was quite common so i had to bring out the "race" card. If you want to put it in Canadian terms, then Canadians now are better off than 50 years ago. My posts just state the "facts" of what reality is like, and for most of the people saying that it was better off 50 years ago are probably not immigrants, women, or anything outside the "main society" of those times. The fact that history was like that in the past disgusts me and i'm glad that the world has evolved since then.

But you generalize AND THAT'S GARBAGE. ARE OR WERE ALL "WHITE PEOPLE" LIKE THAT? I guess I could make generalizations about any number of people- relating to the past - but would that be reasonable? You brought up slavery in another thread, I posted it and a little history lesson and you put a spin on it saying it was OK because of the "time" and "a feudal relationship", not a "colonial" that had "worse" slavery. Slavery is slavery, no matter how you choose to "think" ABOUT IT. Or generalize it.
http://

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 02:24:48 PM »

But you generalize AND THAT'S GARBAGE. ARE OR WERE ALL "WHITE PEOPLE" LIKE THAT? I guess I could make generalizations about any number of people- relating to the past - but would that be reasonable? You brought up slavery in another thread, I posted it and a little history lesson and you put a spin on it saying it was OK because of the "time" and "a feudal relationship", not a "colonial" that had "worse" slavery. Slavery is slavery, no matter how you choose to "think" ABOUT IT. Or generalize it.

X2
It's frequently the case when someone runs out of arguments with the white guy, they always use the race, slavery, colonial whatever card.
Anyone educated knows how those slaves ended up being sold. It was their own tribes, or enemy tribes, that sold them into slavery.
Today we still have, in Asia, where people sell their kids into slavery and sex trade, child labour etc.
While majority of the whites are way past the slavery age, some people still keep bringing it up.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:27:54 PM by adriaticum »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »

X2
It's frequently the case when someone runs out of arguments with the white guy, they always use the race, slavery, colonial whatever card.
Anyone educated knows how those slaves ended up being sold. It was their own tribes, or enemy tribes, that sold them into slavery.
Today we still have, in Asia, where people sell their kids into slavery and sex trade, child labour etc.
While majority of the whites are way past the slavery age, some people still keep bringing it up.

Thank you. I did a little search through Ed's posts and that seems to be a common thread. I find that just a revolting regardless of race. This blaming "whitey" is repugnant. And as to a "privileged" existence, I was brought up by a poor east coast fishing family that couldn't afford an indoor bathroom until I was 12. As I'm in my mid fifties, I should have been, according to our resident ignoramus, living in the lap of luxury. I did get to eat a lot of lobster  ;)
http://

brownmancheng

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 05:35:51 PM »

Why the constant bigotry Ed? Is racism really needed? I've found constant themes in your posts that point to hatred of the "white man". This is Canada. We're CANADIANS and that includes all races, religions and creeds. Your bigotry is disgusting and after reviewing some of your posts, it's a constant theme.

X2 thank you for someone else pointing it out.

Lets not forget the one where apparently all Canadians in mining and oil industry are drug addicts anyways

I am aware this is a forum where many different perspectives are welcome and add to the quality of discussion.  But sometimes things are best kept to yourself. And if it continues I hope a moderator will intervene somewhere along the way

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2012, 10:07:57 PM »

How is it generalizing when it is true that the "middle class white man" was better off 50 years ago and everybody else including women were not ? Can you provide any sources that proves me wrong? 50 years ago many of the countries in the world just got independence through colonialism? I dont think life was too great.

50 years ago i'm sure if you were an immigrant, life would also be pretty tough. I'm sure not 100 percent of the people were racist but racism was a wide spread problem throughout the world. Are you denying the truth of what happend in history? 

Also YES there is a difference if you have slavery amongst your own country VS importing slaves from other countries to exploit them. A. when you enslave your own people it is a "class" struggle but when you import slaves you have "class" problems as well as "race" issues. The fact that you think they are both the same shows your bias. You must think the Opium Wars or the activities of the British East Indian Company were all fair game ( since it's just "trade") .

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »

Government doesn't pay for anything.
Government doesn't have any money.
Government doesn't make any money.
They don't produce anything.
People need to get the government out of their heads.

It's about selling access to resources, it doesn't matter who they are selling it to.
And about selling the land resources we use to private insterests so that we can't use them any more.
China is just the biggest problem of many problems, because they are a huge economy and consume resource on a large scale.
For example, if we cut down all the trees in BC to supply Chinese housing market a few people in the lumber industry would make tonnes of money for a while.
But then we would all be poor and those with money would move to somewhere where there are still trees.
Most of the ecological collapses were due to some idiot getting the idea that they can make huge money by supplying a large demand for a resource somewhere.

Problem of today is that we are so connected and there is always a demand for something somewhere.
Resource management is the key.
Those who consume and lay destruction to their on land should die with it.

So what you are saying is that revenue generated from the government never goes back to infrastructure development ? I wonder who paid for all the bike lanes in downtown Vancouver, the improvements done on the Port Mann Bridge, or even the upgrade to Lions Gate Bridge few years ago. I'm sure purely from tax dollars the province would not have the income to pay for it. Also I hope you are aware that in Canada, only few provinces actually have any profit. BC, Alberta, and Ontario are the top 3, where would the less developed provinces get their funds from ? I'm sure the federal government splits the profit accordingly amongst the province.

Trust me Canada isn't the only trading partner for China for lumber. They also import lumber from Russia, South America, and etc. Trading is just part of economic development, nothing wrong with that. It's not like China is going to take all our resources....

Selling our resources today helps the people of today, but it creates a negative impact on the future ( few generations later). I agree that its not a good practice but we did this to ourselves by not developing any other industries. Resource is KEY but not when you're a "staples economy", how do you not sell resources when you are highly dependent on it and still have economic growth?

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2012, 10:29:10 PM »

Thank you. I did a little search through Ed's posts and that seems to be a common thread. I find that just a revolting regardless of race. This blaming "whitey" is repugnant. And as to a "privileged" existence, I was brought up by a poor east coast fishing family that couldn't afford an indoor bathroom until I was 12. As I'm in my mid fifties, I should have been, according to our resident ignoramus, living in the lap of luxury. I did get to eat a lot of lobster  ;)

Since you were born in the eastcoast during that period, you must be familiar with the North Atlantic Cod Industry. What happend to employment in some of the provinces that were heavily dependent on the fisheries? The government usually have other priorities like employment and social well being before they think about the environment. I'm sure if we were short on resources we would not be selling it.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2012, 10:34:07 PM »

X2

Yes so because their tribe or enemy tribe sold them it made everything OK ? I'm sure if there was no demand there wouldn't have been a supply. You make a good point, the "whites" are past slavery because they got all the benefits of it when they can to improve their own living standards. In Asia there is slavery still because poverty is an ongoing issue. Any educated person would know the impacts of colonialism on the third world countries.

At least we are getting paid money for our resources and not trading our resources for opium....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:44:56 PM by Ed »

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »

X2 thank you for someone else pointing it out.

Lets not forget the one where apparently all Canadians in mining and oil industry are drug addicts anyways

I am aware this is a forum where many different perspectives are welcome and add to the quality of discussion.  But sometimes things are best kept to yourself. And if it continues I hope a moderator will intervene somewhere along the way

The facts might be offensive to some, but at least it's the truth. Also i didn't say everybody were drug addicts, i said there was a high percentage.

http://www.oilandgasinquirer.com/article.asp?article=magazine%2F080707%2FMAG2008_L70001.html
http://oilsandstruth.org/alberta-cocaine-easier-buy-pizza