Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study  (Read 78156 times)

Gaffer

Re: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2009, 08:15:54 PM »

Scuntor-- FF has no part of this Hook Mortality Study-- the money comes from The Fraser Basin Council distributed by & under the stewardship of Fisheries & Oceans Canada . So your license money is in  General Revenue Victoria to help keep the  New Salmon Farm Permits generate more sea lice so we get less fish returning every year-- it's quite simple really

Gaffer

« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2009, 08:29:28 PM »

Steelhawk: I agree totally with your eloquent  points about fighting amongst ourselves being counter-productive re-BB & Bf--- How many years have we tried ( successfully 'til now) to Keep the Gov't out of our tackle boxes ? Let's not throw the door open now over how we "legally" kill our dinner. Old Chinese Proverb " Be very Careful what you wish for-- you just might get it ---Forever/

Gaffer

« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2009, 08:40:38 PM »

Hopefully now we can get back on track to the original subject of this posting.  Thru all the messages - is the study still on track and are volunteers needed?
[/Yes the Study is on for two more weeks Mon-- Fri ---07:30 to 2:30 17th to 21st Aug& 24to 28 --P/U for transport@  Island 22--- 07:30   quote]

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2009, 01:24:06 PM »

Morty

« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »

Was out there participating until 11:30 AM this morning.  There were about 30 fishers participating, only about 8 Sockeye caught during that time.  There were 30 caught yesterday (Thursday)  It was good to see several guide boats participating, and I'm sure provided several good lessons for their clients that they would not normally get.

I do not recall seeing so few fish on the depth sounder.

"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »

are the shore guy's wading very far out?
will I need my waders?

I might check this out on Monday.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2009, 09:50:01 AM »

are the shore guy's wading very far out?
will I need my waders?

I might check this out on Monday.
Check to make sure the study is going on Monday as I was to take a Shaw TV crew out on Tuesday on the Leaf Craft and then the cameraman phoned me back and said Thursday was the day they could come. Maybe it is that Thursday is the only day they are radio tagging next week. I am sure we will find out before Monday. I will check into it for you.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »

Bring your waders.

shaunm

« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »

On it on Monday through Friday next week? Cheers Shaun

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2009, 09:36:10 PM »

Check to make sure the study is going on Monday as I was to take a Shaw TV crew out on Tuesday on the Leaf Craft and then the cameraman phoned me back and said Thursday was the day they could come. Maybe it is that Thursday is the only day they are radio tagging next week. I am sure we will find out before Monday. I will check into it for you.
Heard from Frank and it is on next week for the 5 days. He told Shaw TV that Thursday was the best day to go as more things being done that day.

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2009, 11:31:25 AM »

2009 FRASER RIVER SOCKEYE ESCAPEMENT
Inseason Update
Early Stuart run
All sockeye appear to be in good condition with no indications of elevated levels of pre-spawn mortality in the near terminal areas. Incidence of net marks, hook marks, general disease (body discolouration or with circular blotches, small white spots, fungus), and wounds on sockeye counted through the Forfar and Gluske fences to date is 0.7%, 0.8%, 1.4% and 1.0% respectively.

Interesting info, sports fishing interception of the sockeye run looks low at .8% assuming 100% survival rate.  Looks like these creatures are stronger than we think they are.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2009, 09:56:19 PM »

We caught over 60 sockeye today in the name of science lol

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2009, 10:27:59 PM »

2009 FRASER RIVER SOCKEYE ESCAPEMENT
Inseason Update
Early Stuart run
All sockeye appear to be in good condition with no indications of elevated levels of pre-spawn mortality in the near terminal areas. Incidence of net marks, hook marks, general disease (body discolouration or with circular blotches, small white spots, fungus), and wounds on sockeye counted through the Forfar and Gluske fences to date is 0.7%, 0.8%, 1.4% and 1.0% respectively.

Interesting info, sports fishing interception of the sockeye run looks low at .8% assuming 100% survival rate.  Looks like these creatures are stronger than we think they are.

Could you post the link for this news release?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

scales

• I'm a llama!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »

As The Chilliwack Progress reporter and photo journalist wanted to go down and report on the study the Leaf Craft took them down. It was a good day to go down as they were taking tissue samples as well. Also they were doing a beach seine that had a fair amount of pinks along with sockeye, spring jacks, adults, a sturgeon , pike minnow and chub in it.

I shot a bit of video that I will post on u tube when I get time as there was some interesting information there I thought. I then went bar fishing for 5 hours but the best I could do was find a nice bell and have a nap.

I will post the links to the clips when I get them uploaded.